Tiller Needed - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeaStar58

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2018 Thread Starter

Tiller Needed

Purchased a Chrysler 22. Its a fixer. Looking if someone has some parts for sale. Looking for a Tiller and sails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-03-2018
Administrator

Re: Tiller Needed

The Chrysler 22 had a simple wooden tiller that had a slight curve to it and was most of the length of the cockpit. It would be very easy to make a new tiller or else to buy a tiller of a similar design from a marine store or an online catalog. It would be pretty unlikely to find used gear for this boat, but you might be able to buy used sails at some place like Bacons (in Annapolis https://baconsails.com/) or Minneys Yacht surplus (Costa Mesa Ca, Minney's Yacht Surplus - Home)

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 7 Old 07-03-2018

Don't feel obligated replace the tiller with an exact duplicate. My Oday 23 came with a tiller that was a straight stick; no curve. It wasn't the original tiller, but the original had only a slight curve. I found that the straight stick was always in the way, hitting knees and goosing everyone in sight. I finally had enough and replaced it with a model (H&L Woodworking, model 112F) that had a big curve to it. I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. Now, I can steer without hitting my or my neighbor's knees. And I don't have to reach as far for the tiller; the curve puts the handle at a more comfortable height for me. The only dimension you really have to worry about is length; the tiller has to be long enough to give you the leverage you need to control the rudder, and not so long that it is going to hit anything else in the cockpit. Don't worry about the shape or size of the butt end; you can easily shape that to fit in your rudder stock.

If you do decide to buy a new tiller, shop around. I found a very wide disparity in price among the usual suspects. Defender had the exact same tiller as West Marine (both carried the H&L line of replacement tillers), but for about 30% less.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-03-2018

Arrrrrr.....what has happened to DIY? Go on down to the big box hardware store (HD or Lows) buy a stick of wood (2x4) cut, sand, drill install. Wham Bam done.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-03-2018

Here is a small shop who makes tillers to order. His prices are very reasonable.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/cp-marine-woodwork-gardena
post #6 of 7 Old 07-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
Arrrrrr.....what has happened to DIY? Go on down to the big box hardware store (HD or Lows) buy a stick of wood (2x4) cut, sand, drill install. Wham Bam done.
Then you could replace the spruce 2X4 every year and could afford the half dozen spares required to keep in the boat as they break. You'll get real good at replacing them too.

We tried the 2X4 and even the Hickory or Oak Wheel Barrel Handles and they did not last as long as a marine grade laminated tiller handle.

If you do make one use Walnut, Oak or Mahogany.

I made mine out of Oak sandwiched between Walnut using a marine grade adhesive. The rudder lift and lock lines go through the center of the rudder shaft inside the transom so I was dealing with Unobtanium and had to fabricate the hard parts too.
Lazerbrains likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidsailor View Post
Purchased a Chrysler 22. Its a fixer. Looking if someone has some parts for sale. Looking for a Tiller and sails
Bacons in Annapolis has used tillers. if you haven't been there, worth the trip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in