New owner of '63 columbia 29 in SF, CA - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 07-13-2017

Re: New owner of '63 columbia 29 in SF, CA

Peezy, congratulations on your new boat! Will you be able to keep your slip? Prime location. We used to bring our boat over to Pier 39 and bar hop all over Columbus Ave and all the way to Specks. A couple of things you mentioned were a little disconcerting to me. Is it true that the last time the boat was hauled was ten years ago? Bottom paint usually lasts 3-4 years in the Bay and after 5 years, there will be a lot of bare spots showing. Did your diver give you a written report? What was the condition of the running gear? Zincs donít last a year and he should have replaced the shaft and button zincs. Iíd be worried about the tin leeching out of your bronze prop. Likewise, the zinc in the heat exchanger is long gone. Just starting a diesel engine isnít sufficient to check condition. You need to run it under load for 15 minutes to a half hour. Donít be surprised if you need to clean your heat exchanger. Iím also concerned about the state of your halyards. If you suspect that they need replacing, donít risk your life by using them to go to the mast head. If the shive wheels are seized, then other rigging parts are bad too and you should drop the mast at a rigger and replace the standing wire as well as service all the other components. Chances are you are on the original wire and this maintenance is way past do. You can replace your halyards with Dynema or Amtseel which will allow you to use a thinner diameter line that might not require swapping out the shives. Most people donít realize that our typical summer winds on the Bay are like storm conditions in other parts of the country. Gear gets broken every weekend and dismastingís are not uncommon. Donít be a statistic. Be a Boy Scout and be prepared!

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 07-14-2017 Thread Starter

Thank you for all the info! So now that you mention it... The diver said he only a year of experience, and had no physical report or pictures for me. Charged $60/her and was very nice about explaining things like zincs and whatnot. Mentioned the propeller was slightly chewed up like 10% by electrolysis, but not worth replacing. I'm now thinking a second opinion would be highly worth it!
And for the engine, I will definitely take it out briefly to check that all is in order. Just today I changed the oil and both oil and fuel filters. I haven't opened the secondary Dahl brand (model 101) filter, since no one seems to have any parts for it. Hopefully just cleaning it will be sufficient. The impeller was replaced right before we purchased her, which is quite a good thing seeing as how brittle it was... Is that an indicator that other parts may be spent too? Once I have the time I would like to do a full inspection of valves and cooling system, with plenty of beers and patience on hand!
And for the halyards, we would ideally prefer to replace the sheaves, since they are wire only with 1/8" clearance only. Hopefully the masthead won't be too corroded, since we'd really prefer not to have to drop the mast. If it comes down to it we will just replace the wire to rope, since we really would prefer to just get out and sail.
We will absolutely adhere to as much safety protocol as possible, so that we do not indeed result as another tragedy on the bay!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13 of 21 Old 07-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by peezysqueezy View Post
Mentioned the propeller was slightly chewed up like 10% by electrolysis, but not worth replacing. I'm now thinking a second opinion would be highly worth it!
!!!!! 10% is gone and it's still OK?!?

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #14 of 21 Old 07-16-2017 Thread Starter

yeah i suppose that still sounds rather bad, huhÖ well, my co-owner and i will take her out for a quick spin in the next few days just outside the marina and i'll let you all know how it went! or, if i somehow don't make it back (knock on wood) then thanks for all the advice up to this point! haha

on another note: we decided to just replace the wire to rope halyards and inspect the sheaves for any heavy wear, since its obvious we neither have the time, money, or knowledge to replace them at this point. that is unless anyone has any more specifics on the masthead on this boat? I can only assume a full sheave replace would require dismantling the fore and aft shrouds. Which of course means lowering the mast. for a fist full of dollars. a large fist. of large dollars.
ok goodnight all.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-17-2017
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by peezysqueezy View Post
-we had the hull cleaned several weeks ago with very good marks, he said hull paint should last at least 2 more years (not even one scrapper broke! and even after about 10 years floating idle)
No paint made will provide adequate anti fouling performance for for more that 3-4 years, and that's assuming it recieves regular maintenance. That's just the nature of the beast. If your diver told that you had several years left on a 10+ year old bottom job, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
peezysqueezy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstbttms For This Useful Post:
peezysqueezy (07-17-2017)
post #16 of 21 Old 07-23-2017

Hello,

I own a columbia29 mkii on the bay. Mine's in Alameda. I've been thinking of upgrading for a while but can't gather the courage to make the hop. It looks like I'll be sailing her for a little while. It's true that she goes through the chop nicely. She's quite tender though and will easily heel to 30degrees in the slot but I only managed to bury the rail on a winter storm last year.

Watch out for the currents and the swells at pier39, it used to be my marina. That boat is pretty much impossible to steer in reverse and very sluggish forward at slow engine speeds. I got in trouble there more than once. Once the boat is sailing though, it's all good.

I swore not to spend another dime on that boat yet I'm finding myself considering a new jib for her, sigh...
peezysqueezy likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-23-2017
1968 Columbia 50

There is a Columbia Yachts owner page of facebook...your welcome to join.
peezysqueezy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #18 of 21 Old 07-23-2017

I don't want to hijack the thread but I measured J to be 10.5' and luff to be 33.2' on mine. It doesn't seem quite in line with the data I find on the web. Has any C29 owner measured their rig here?
peezysqueezy likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-28-2017
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo617 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but I measured J to be 10.5' and luff to be 33.2' on mine. It doesn't seem quite in line with the data I find on the web. Has any C29 owner measured their rig here?
Your I measurement seems to be about a foot light are you measuring from mast STP up or vertically from the bow? If from the mast step you are right in line with the spcs for defenders. I own hull 60.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=805
peezysqueezy likes this.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by newhaul; 09-28-2017 at 01:35 AM.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-28-2017 Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't responded in a while! Dang, all sorts of cool folks on this thread, and I thank you all for the tips and advice! Um, we have indeed been tackling a myriad of issues, the latest being diesel fungus. Dodged a real bullet by having my new racor filter 2 micron filter catch most of it, but the engine got real hot which worries me... The impeller was apparently replaced, but I have doubts. Anyhow, any of you guys ever have luck cleaning a mucked up 5 gallon tank? I'm guessing the best way is to remove it and flush with some nasty chemicals or something? I called a guy who said the tank is too small for his time, and I'd have better luck bringing it to a radiator repair shop... Any thoughts?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in