Columbia 23T vs. Coronado 23-2 different displacements, mainsheeting - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-18-2018 Thread Starter

Columbia 23T vs. Coronado 23-2 different displacements, mainsheeting

On sailboatdata.com, the Columbia 23T is listed as having a displacement of 2300 lbs. The Coronado 23-2 is listed at 2500 lbs.

All references to these two boats say that they are identical except for the windows and coach roof.

Is there indeed a 200 lb difference in displacement?

Also, the mainsheeting systems appear different. The Columbia 23T has mid-boom sheeting going down to the sliding hatch cover.

On my Coronado 23-2, the mainsheeting goes down to a cockpit floor traveler.

I have the Columbia 23T manual but not the Coronado 23-2 manual... however, just about everywhere I read it is said that the two boats are the same.

Can any owners of either Columbia 23T or Coronado 23-2 speak on any of these issues?

Many thanks.

Hal Nash
Waldport OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-18-2018
Administrator

Re: Columbia 23T vs. Coronado 23-2 different displacements, mainsheeting

The Columbia 23T was a pretty strange boat that had an excessively wide keel with a very wide bottom and very shallow draft. The intent was that the cabin sole was in the keel sump in order to give the cabin a little more head room. They we're also supposed to be able to stand up on their keel bottom if they dried out when the tide went out. But they sailed really poorly.

If remember right, the Coronado 23-2 had it's keel redesigned to be slightly deeper and narroer and cut away a little more than the Columbia version. But the Columbias were slightly better built and so easily could have been a couple hundred pounds lighter.

I also think that the Coronado came standard with the Columbia's optional tall rig. The Columbia did not come with a traveler. There was a triangle 4:1 mainsheet with a block in each side of the tiller. I think that the Coronado had the mainsheet at the forward end of the cockpit.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2018

As far as I have seen the Columbia T23 (AKA 23T Ranger) at 2,300 lb has a keel with centerboard that drafts 1.08 ft to 7.92 ft however the Coronado 23-2 at 2,500 lb has a fin keel w/transom hung rudder that drafts 1.92 ft and while very similar are not identical especially below the water line.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-t-23

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/coronado-23-2

post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
As far as I have seen the Columbia T23 (AKA 23T Ranger) at 2,300 lb has a keel with centerboard that drafts 1.08 ft to 7.92 ft however the Coronado 23-2 at 2,500 lb has a fin keel w/transom hung rudder that drafts 1.92 ft and while very similar are not identical especially below the water line.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-t-23

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/coronado-23-2
Thank you for the reply. I think that you mean the Charger 23 rather than the Ranger 23. You mentioned the draft as being 1.08 - 7.92. The 7.92 is rather the beam of the boat. And 1.08' is 13 inches... so I don't think that's accurate.

Coronado also made a Coronado 23... which is a Columbia 22 which has the fin keel with a 3.17 foot draft. Maybe you are thinking of this boat.

Both you and Jeff mentioned the keel shape as being different in the Coronado 23-2 from the Columbia 23T. However, in looking at owner pictures of their Coronado 23-2s, the keel looks to be identical to the Columbia 23T.

Thank you both for replies to my inquiries.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2018
Administrator

One thing that I probably should have noted is that I think that the later produced Columbia T-23's came with the same keels as the Coronado 23-2's. That original keel just was not a very good design in terms of sailing ability and I believe that the deeper-skinner keel with the aft end notched was adopted later in the production process, but I may be remembering this incorrectly. The one way to know is that the original T-23's had a piece of plywood and carpet right on top of the ballast keel down in the sump. The Coronados and I believe the later T-23's had the deck up where the hull turned down into the keel sump.

You can see the deeper keel reflected in the difference in draft between the two shown in SeaStar's Sailboatdata links.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #6 of 6 Old 11-19-2018

They indicated it was 1.08 with the centerboard up though the board down numbers do seem excessive and yes match the beam. The version without the center board was claimed to be 1.11 ft draft which is indeed a very skinny shoal keel. The Coronado fin keel at almost 2 ft is a bit more conventional and yes I believe would perform much better than the skinny 1.11.

They appear to have made a number of variations on this design between the two companies and the various corporations that owned them through the years so I will believe that any variation on the basic theme is possible.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in