Dismasted/1964 Challenger - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 04-19-2019 Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

Re: Dismasted/1964 Challenger

While on chain plates- I will be pulling mine this Sunday and may need some advice, after. If they are trash and I need to fabricate anew- anybody setup double lower shrouds on this boat?

Any suggestions on spreader rake for the new CF mast?

More, soon.

Huff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 04-24-2019 Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

Was only able to get the port side chain plate out and either it has been replaced in the recent past or it was done right in 1964. It is is pretty durn good condition, all in all. Very stout design. I suspect I will be able to un-bend it and re-use.

Am also hammering out the last design details for the mast. I will be replacing the boom with a Dwyer section. Closet to original is the DM 275 (2.75 inch tall, 1.75 wide) and the mast fabber is suggesting DM 375 (3.75 tall 2.25 wide)- do I need that much boom? I have not had any structural problems with the smaller section and if I don't need to add the weight and, more so, the added height (boom to head) I would be happy spending a little less money, too. The upside, maybe is that there is a heavier-duty gooseneck assembly that goes with it.

Thots on boom sizing?

Thanks, Huff
post #23 of 28 Old 04-25-2019

The challenger has end boom sheeting so there is not much load on the boom itself. change the sail to loose foot and then the load is even less, only compression loads. it worked before why won't it still work

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #24 of 28 Old 05-03-2019 Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

Ended up with the slightly larger boom profile as the next size down was smaller than original.

Was able to extract the other chain plate- stbd side was not easy to come out as the opening thru the deck was tight and wet. Bulkhead(s) are okay and deck looks okay. A PO had reworked an FRP beam athwarthships under the mast that is doing well, from initial inspection, but I have yet to yank off the mast step. I am having a new pair of chain plates made from a local water-jet cutter (approx $150).

CF mast goes into fab next week and should be arriving in one long package 4 to 6 weeks, after.

Am thinking about bringing the spreaders/shrouds inboard a bit. Original spars are approx 38 inches long, each, including the mast mounting bracket. As the CF mast will be stiffer and need a bit less "staying" I was thinking about coming inboard maybe 3 to 6 inches each spreader. Thots? New spreaders will be airfoil type and not nearly as substantial as the factory pipes (yeesh, one could fend off Huns with one of these- I kept one to use as a cheater pipe/hammer/lever).

Will post pics, later when pieces start coming to one place.

Thanks, Huff
post #25 of 28 Old 05-03-2019 Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

...while on spreaders- I am also thinking about 3-5 degrees aft rake, just enough to keep a bit of positive tension for and aft. Thots? Thanks, Huff
post #26 of 28 Old 05-04-2019

Who is making the mast for you?? The mast on my Sabre has some corrosion around the base and a crack so fear it's on borrowed time. Got one preliminary quote for a Carbon stick but it was more than twice what the boat is worth. Another company gave me a quote for the bare pole and some indication of costs to get it finished that were much more affordable but still more than I'd like to spend.

Don't see an advantage in raking the spreaders, Fore and aft mast support is provided by the head and back stay. Raked spreaders, even a little bit, restrict how far you can ease out the boom before the sail hits the wires and spreader. On my boats with right angle spreaders it's been the aft lowers that hit the sail first. Would try and eliminate the aft lowers if you boat has them and leave the spreaders at right angles. You could rake the spreaders far enough to eliminate the backstay but that will really restrict how far you can let the boom out. Not a big thing on a multihull as they sail faster reaching downwind but on a mono will affect DDW performance.
post #27 of 28 Old 05-04-2019 Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

Mast, so far, including shipping from CT to CA is approx $5K, from Forte.

I may very well shorten the spreaders some inches, tho, each, to bring inboard a bit if I don't have to "stay" as much mast weight with the shrouds.

Thanks,

Huff
The Following User Says Thank You to Huffboat For This Useful Post:
roverhi (05-11-2019)
post #28 of 28 Old 05-09-2019 Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

Anyone have a good spreadsheet for figuring out dimensions of standing rigging? I can't really use the "factory" specs/data and need to start from scratch as the rig is now semi-fractional and some other sizes have changed, as well, with the new custom mast. I have gone back to reg 'ol geometry for most of this, which could well work (trapezoids, triangles) but am hoping to have a way to double-check. Thanks, Huff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in