Dismasted/1964 Challenger - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Dismasted/1964 Challenger

I don't understand all the changes to the rig. new mast so you can go sailing ,I understand but it is a simple upper and lower shroud with a single spreader. there i are no forward or aft lowers. don't see what the fractional rig change is going to get you and swept spreaders would be just silly on that boat. the chainplates are attached to the bulkhead which is in line with the mast step so every change you make is going make the boat even more experimental and now even more expensive if you are wrong.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

Not many changes. It is now a fractional rig in name only, because the fore-stay dies into the new mast 11 inches down from the top (jib/Genoa is now a bit "bottom heavy" which may be of interest as I am going with a 115 with a shorter luff vs 113 I ran with more luff- time will tell if this is functional). Did not move or add chain-plates (did replace them, though) and mast is more similar to original layout than not. Is still plumb (not raked, or able to be). Spreaders, tho, are coming inboard 6 inches each. We will see what all this does, in a month, with some luck and effort. Huff
post #33 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
But nothing wrong with going with liability only with a boat of that value.
Bingo! I spent an unreasonable amount restoring and upgrading two 1970s boats (one power, one sail) and have carried only liability since then (17 years for one, 11 years for the other) and I still have them. Once you recognize it's sunk money you couldn't get back by selling it, it doesn't sound so bad.

post #34 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
1964 Columbia Challenger

Yup- I had the best coverage, pretty much, that Boatus (now Geico) offered I could buy for a boat that old, having the Carrier up the hull coverage to their max ($3500) for a bit more per year but now it is going to be liability only, from here on out, methinks.
post #35 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffboat View Post
Not many changes. It is now a fractional rig in name only, because the fore-stay dies into the new mast 11 inches down from the top (jib/Genoa is now a bit "bottom heavy" which may be of interest as I am going with a 115 with a shorter luff vs 113 I ran with more luff- time will tell if this is functional). Did not move or add chain-plates (did replace them, though) and mast is more similar to original layout than not. Is still plumb (not raked, or able to be). Spreaders, tho, are coming inboard 6 inches each. We will see what all this does, in a month, with some luck and effort. Huff
now I understand your plan, sounds good. I like the fact that you got a mast from Forte for 5k that is not a bad price . I installed a retractible bow sprit on my last boat and it was from Forte and it was very high quality and price was under $1500 for the complete kit which just had to be glassed into the side of the hull. My current boat the Beneteau first 30 had an option for the carbon mast with rod rigging and the up charge was 30k so i asked if the carbon mast was 30k how much do get back for not needing the stock aluminum mast and they said that was already taken into account. so they wanted 30k more then the stock mast for carbon. So we have an aluminum mast.
I like the fact that aluminum mast does not need to be painted or clear coated every 5 years. the guy across form us has a carbon mast that had clear coat and they just had the mast painted because the clear coat was falling of in sheets after only 5 years

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in