Columbia 26 MKII - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Question Columbia 26 MKII

Greetings All.
I just picked up a 1974 Columbia 26 MKII. Somewhere along the line one of the previous owners decided to mount an outboard motor on the transom instead of putting it in the motor well like is was designed. I am looking first for any pictures or diagrams of how the motor is supposed to be properly mounted into the well. Secondly I am looking for any insight as to why someone made the decision to mount it on the transom instead.

Thank you guys for your help. I live and Sail in the Puget Sound
Dingy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock
Re: Columbia 26 MKII

Found this:

"When motoring or motor sailing in heavy sea conditions, the prop can be lifted out of the water with a transome mounted OB. This is a safety problem in my mind - I have sheared the prop pin when the motor over-revs out of the water and then comes in contact with it again on reentry of the lower unit, rendering my motor useless when I once really needed it. If you are going off shore, I think that the well mount is preferable for your motor"

Columbia 26 Mk II Specifications
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
Dinghytodream (6 Days Ago)
post #3 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

The well should have a lip on it that the outboard clamps to using its normal transom clamps. When you put it back in the well, stick a small garden tractor inner tube around the OB leg, fit it around the well sides, and inflate it once the OB is mounted. This will stop any water from splashing up.

For some reasons, many people didn't like the OB in the well. Also, if the boat was raced, there was a plug for the well, and the transom OB could be raised out of the water.

I liked the OB in the well. It is positioned in front of the rudder there, so makes steering very responsive. It is easy to work on, doesn't ventilate, easy to start and stop and control the throttle, etc. We built a sound-insulated box over ours with a front hinged panel for access to pull cord and choke. The box kept it quiet and provided a small platform space.

Mark
Dinghytodream likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Two possible reasons come to mind. You typically can't raise the engine in the well, so the lower end is in the water all time. Growth is then an issue. Not sure about the C26, but some boats have a problem with water sloshing in the well and the engine intake sucking water in, stopping the engine and making it very hard to start again.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Used the well on my C26 MKII. Motored across the Molokai Channel when the winds failed and no problem with prop coming out of the water on that or other times in some pretty serious wave conditions. Stored the motor in the cockpit locker and put the plug in place when not using engine. Motor was 9hp, 2 cycle Mercury, lighter than a 4 cycle, and not a problem for me to lift out of the locker drop into the well. Of course I was only 30 years old and in good physical condition then. There was a lip in the well just like any outboard mount area so it was just a matter of dropping the motor onto the mount and tighten the clamps.

Hauling the engine out of the locker or well and stowing it was a small hassle but could be a problem for someone not in good physical condition. The 9hp Mercury was more than enough power so you could go with a smaller engine to lower weight. Didn't do anything to seal around the engine in the well or cover it. The engine actually got little use as the boat was so maneuverable and moved nicely in light air that I sailed into my upwind slip often and just pushed the boat out when I wanted to go sailing. Slip backed into a lagoon so plenty of room to maneuver.

I sailed the hell out of that boat as I was so broke paying for it couldn't afford any other form of entertainment. Wasn't fond of its sailing control. Sudden gusts of wind would totally overpower the rudder and cause uncontrolled roundups. Frankly it scared me to sail close to another boat after I nearly T boned a gold plater on one of those roundups. Sailed mostly with no main to try and maintain some control in the gusty conditions off Waikiki. The boat pounded badly going to weather. Boat did handle some really gnarly windward passages between the Islands and was not afraid to take the boat out in weather that most other people refused to sail in.
Dinghytodream likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 12 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thank you all very much! Your knowledge is very helpful I look forward to picking your brains further in the future. The boat has been well taken care of for the most part however i can tell that the last owner and maybe even the one before that may not have been a seasoned boat owner as I have many things done ...well half assed to put it lightly. You have convinced me for sure to remove the motor from the transom and place it in the well as it was designed.
Colemj : thank you for the inner tube tip! will definitely try that and i like the idea of the sound proof box.

The boat came with a Mercury 5-HP and I think it is a short shaft? Not sure it is powerful enough for the Puget Sound. I Will most likely look for a 9+HP to replace it with but I will move it to the well first and see how well it performs

Thanks again all
Dinghy
post #7 of 12 Old 6 Days Ago

I also live in the PNW and just started restoring a '71 MKII. The previous owners hung the motor on the transom to keep the cockpit uncluttered but I dont know if I want to keep it there.

Where about are you? Bellingham area here.
post #8 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Hi SeanM26
I am Downtown Seattle I am keeping my boat moored at Elliot Bay Marina. I found a picture of an MKII with the motor in the well and it really didn't look like it would be in the way that much. It actually looked like it would be a million times easier to use. Quite frankly it is a pain in the ass to try and operate the motor while hanging half way off the transom and trying to steer and see where you are going all at the same time.
post #9 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

The motor in the well sits low in the back and underneath the tiller, so it doesn't really take away much useful space. Putting a cover over it actually increases the useful space because it makes a platform bridging the two cockpit seats.

I have lots of pictures of mine, but they are all film!

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

My friend is still sailing the boat, and I remembered he had some online photo albums. It isn't an area of the boat that gets pictures much, but here are some I found. Note that the box has a small hinged top door, as well as a side door, to allow access to the engine.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
engine cover.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 3.07.31 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 3.12.45 PM.jpg  

Last edited by colemj; 5 Days Ago at 03:18 PM.

Tags
colombia , sailboat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in