female crew wanted for Bahamas cruise - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-16-2014 Thread Starter

female crew wanted for Bahamas cruise

Hello, I am new to sail net but not sailing. I live aboard in Boca Grande Florida and daysail in Charlotte Harbor on the southwest coast of Florida. I have a 35' aft cabin sloop and hope to cruise the Bahamas again in the spring of 2015. I am 63, in good shape and the boat is well found and in perfect condition. Contact me if you are interested. Will furnish pictures, details and references on request. Cheers! John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2015
Sailbahama

Re: female crew wanted for Bahamas cruise

John,
Like the holy grail, rumored to exist, yet never seen, a good woman, who enjoys sailboats for longer than two hours at the marina. Perhaps a good boat cat is an easier catch. Fair winds.
Jeff
Slayer, Group9 and Sal Paradise like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-14-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherguitar View Post
John,
Like the holy grail, rumored to exist, yet never seen, a good woman, who enjoys sailboats for longer than two hours at the marina. Perhaps a good boat cat is an easier catch. Fair winds.
Jeff
As a woman who sails whenever possible, and who knows plenty of others who also love to sail, perhaps your bait is inadequate.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Last edited by Donna_F; 04-14-2015 at 04:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (04-14-2015)

post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2015
bell ringer

Since this is really an old thread I'll drift it some.

I see lots of women out sailing. I think the myth that women don't like sailing anymore than men is spread by men who just couldn't keep their woman (wife, girlfriend etc) in general, but blame the boat on it.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #5 of 15 Old 04-14-2015
Sailbahama

Ladies. And Gentlemen. Quite the nerve ive struck. So it seems. Everything from guys blaming boats for failed relationship, to "i am sailor woman, hear me roar". My point, and its a gentle point, not an attack against anyone, much less an attack against women is that at every marina, men scuttle about, doing repairs, tinkering, some even sailing. Their significant others are doing whatever they enjoy. Most men and women simply enjoy different things. Lighten up. No one is attacking your feminism, your woman hood or your character. When i see ads for "woman in bahamas seeking guy first mate" i will know the the world has shifted on its axis. Different hobbies attract men and women. This is news to anyone? Why would this fact offend anyone? Of course there are exceptions. One of those exceptions is tania aeibe (spelled wrong), a woman for whom i have huge respect. I still say the original poster has better odds of finding a cat than a woman who wants to cruise the bahamas with him. I do, however hope he found companionshio, as most adventure is best when shared.
Jeff
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-15-2015

Of the six boats, including ours, on each side of the long dock we are tied to, all but one are couples, who seem to equally enjoy being aboard. Four of us sail very often. The one bachelor (divorced) rarely leaves the dock. Of course, he's the stinkpotter too.

As for this thread, I'm always surprised at these solicitations. However, I'm just as surprised that they are often successful and men do find newly acquainted women to join these voyages all the time. I don't get it. I also have to admit, I rarely see a woman soliciting male crew, not that it never happens.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-15-2015
Captain Obvious

God Speed John Foster wherever you are!!

Live the dream buddy!

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #8 of 15 Old 04-15-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherguitar View Post
Ladies. And Gentlemen. Quite the nerve ive struck. So it seems. Everything from guys blaming boats for failed relationship, to "i am sailor woman, hear me roar". My point, and its a gentle point, not an attack against anyone, much less an attack against women is that at every marina, men scuttle about, doing repairs, tinkering, some even sailing. Their significant others are doing whatever they enjoy. Most men and women simply enjoy different things. Lighten up. No one is attacking your feminism, your woman hood or your character. When i see ads for "woman in bahamas seeking guy first mate" i will know the the world has shifted on its axis. Different hobbies attract men and women. This is news to anyone? Why would this fact offend anyone? Of course there are exceptions. One of those exceptions is tania aeibe (spelled wrong), a woman for whom i have huge respect. I still say the original poster has better odds of finding a cat than a woman who wants to cruise the bahamas with him. I do, however hope he found companionshio, as most adventure is best when shared.
Jeff
Do I hear the sounds of furious back peddling ?

So what did you mean
Quote:
by rumored to exist, yet never seen, a good woman, who enjoys sailboats for longer than two hours at the marina.
?

It was a stupid thing to say in the first place. Any outrage (ffs son, it was pretty low key given the size of this thread) would be completely justified quite frankly.

I'm a bloke with a great partner who loves being on board every bit as much as I do and who involves herself in pretty much every area of sailing and yes, maintaining our boat. Surely this ridiculous and out of date notion that somehow the womenfolk can do no more than swan about the deck supping a glass of bubbly is if not already dead due for a merciful killing.

I do love the belated nod to Tania Aebi though. Reminds me somewhat of people who will whitter on for days about women being unsuitable for the hurly burly of the political life while in a vain attempt to prove they are not the sexist dinosaurs we all know them to be will throw in Margaret Thatcher as a female politician who is the shining exception to the rule.

Now you may be correct that Mr Foster searches in vain but your original statement is either so much cow crap or maybe simply the cry of the sad and lonely guy.
Rezz likes this.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.

Last edited by tdw; 04-15-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-15-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Cow dung. Definitely dung. Although there is that wee kernel of truth that the demographics are tilted toward the male persuasion. Doesn't mean women can't or don't, just that for whatever reason they don't as much as men. I wonder if it is the golf phenomenon where some families the men leave and putter on the weekends leaving their wives to mind the kids in some weird throwback to the fifties I've never understood. There are some women who prefer this as well, I've been told(yet oddly never by a woman). Different strokes I guess. May be what he was getting at, but certainly the tone and content could have been better and left less room for offense.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2015

There are plenty of women who like to sail and cruise. You just have to be patient and look for them in the logical places (hint: marinas).
Shipislandpirate likes this.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in