Hard time finding crew opportunities - Page 12 - SailNet Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 126 Old 04-09-2015

Re: Hard time finding crew opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Savor Grace View Post
I "built" a sailboat back when I was pre-teen using my dad's Jon boat. That was decades ago, and the love is still there. Even ran away from home around 13 years old and hitchhiked to Shalotte, NC and tried to get hired on a shrimp boat (they didn't hire shrimp though). I volunteered for the Navy and took my GED early to join, because I love the water. School, the Navy, work, family all put sailing on the back burner. I now have a boat, as does NoQuarter79. We both have boats, but no experience to take her out (plus my boat is not ready). Ambition? We're looking for ways to get the experience. I still need to earn an income though and thinking how I can combine my love of sailing with earning an income...

I just read something about a STCW MEDICAL FIRST AID PROVIDER and PERSON IN CHARGE OF MEDICAL CARE. As a Registered Nurse this appears to be something I'm qualified to do, but need to find out more. Another thing is radio officer, and I'm looking for more information.

Once I get my sea days I plan to take the Masters License exam and maybe run a small chartering business to keep my mains'ls in good repair... Anything that can combine my love of the water and sailing with being able to stay at it.
When the Savor Grace is all shipshape and you feel ready, I wish you fair winds and following seas. Bon voyage, at that time, and have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 126 Old 04-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Craig:

Now I am going to talk to you like a father - since I am most likely old enough to be your father, or even your grandfather....

[Metaphor alert!]

You are "flogging a dead horse." Let me put it to you in simple words (remember, this is family speaking...)

Having knowledge, getting certifications, being able to show that you are committed to learning about sailing are all very good things. They are, however, only the "icing on the cake." Continue to make the icing, but get focused back on the cake.

The "cake" is actually getting on a boat and sailing. You need to focus your energy on finding people who will take you sailing and give you experience. If you are truly committed that may mean long drives to a coast. It may mean moving to a new town. And it means a continuing campaign of putting yourself out there as available, dedicated, and ready to go the extra mile.

You are a two hour drive from Charleston, a major sailing center. What would happen if you focused your search there? I don't know, but I bet there are more opportunities then in Seven Oaks.

Let me help you understand outbound's post.

Remember, I have been doing this for years - 15,000 nautical miles plus or minus in the last 5 years including a solo transit of the Atlantic Ocean from Florida to Portugal- then read this post:
Hitting the Wall.
Being offshore can be terribly frightening (and for that matter highly dangerous - people do get killed doing this.) A Captain who is trying to deal with the weather and the boat can't also be dealing with the crew. He/she needs to know that they are dependable and will work at bringing the situation to a safe ending. Taking anyone with no experience, no matter how dedicated, offshore is a "crap shoot" most Captains are not will to take.

Focus on the "cake." Do anything you can to build a resume of actual time sailing on boats. Continue your book learning, it will make you better crew. But first and foremost, work toward getting those first few rides.

[/Metaphor Alert!]

Good luck!

Fair winds and following seas

Any young person wanting to become a sailor should take your heartfelt advice to heart.
post #113 of 126 Old 04-19-2015

what if the captain is a drug runner wow that would suck.

post #114 of 126 Old 04-19-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
what if the captain is a drug runner wow that would suck.
For all we joke about needing rum the much more frequent problem is the Captain is a drunk.,

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #115 of 126 Old 04-23-2015

Zypher- thank you for the kind words. On or about the 16th will leave to do the ~1500m to get to our home port. Will take another future Outbound owner with a masters ticket and a another gentleman who has many miles under his keel and is coming with strong recommendations from people I trust.
I think when possible owners have an obligation to help the younger crowd along. So will take a fourth. Now I know three can do this passage without issue (came down with three). So I know if fourth doesn't work out need to just adjust watch schedule. I know others on the boat were prepared to go with three and are prepared to do overlapping watches to cover the newbie until we feel secure.
I think it is only in that or similar setting that OP will find a berth. He/she need to be prepared to pay to get to the boat and leave the boat. Have all their own kit including the standard personal safety stuff. Odds of finding a double berth are vanishing small. Odds of finding an owner willing to be inconvenience or incur expense beyond provisions are slim as well.
I knew OP was looking for a berth. Went to OPO to find a newbie. Nuff said.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #116 of 126 Old 04-24-2015

Why not get a job in the charter industry? I'm sure they handle all things boat. At least for a while.

Probably best to just take you own boat around though. Then you'll be able to help others like yourself.
post #117 of 126 Old 06-24-2015
SailRN

Well here's a question that I need help with. I am a registered nurse, licensed in SC and VT. My SC license is a multi-state license and allows me to practice in 25 of the 50 states, plus federal facilities and Indian lands. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find the rules and regulations of practicing privately for a vessel on the ICW? My SC license covers many of the ICW states, but not all. And I will eventually want to know about practicing on the open oceans and other countries. The USCG has a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) that I qualify for as a "Professional Nurse" but I can not find the scope of practice for it. The Coast Guard is not a good source of information; If you talk to two people on their help line you get three different answers, and all of them are wrong.

Any thoughts on where I might could find the information I need? Has anyone come across a nurse practicing in this way, or for the boating public?

And I recently obtained my General Radiotelephone Operator License + RADAR endorsement, and the GMDSS Maintainer/Operator License + RADAR. Any thoughts on getting maritime work with these?

Fair winds,

Craig RN (Critical Care)
Amateur Radio Extra Class GROL + RADAR CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor (USCG STCW approved)
GMDSS Maintainer/Operator + RADAR USCG MMC Radio Officer, Professional Nurse
SeaRunner 37
post #118 of 126 Old 06-24-2015

We've met met many cruising nurses that use this type of service:

Travel Nursing | Start Now & Get up to $10k A Month

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #119 of 126 Old 06-24-2015
SailRN

Thank you. I have been a travel nurse, but I could only work where my license was valid. The issue here is working privately on a boat and either on the open ocean or the ICW where the particular state we may be in does not recognize my license for their jurisdiction. As I'm licensed in SC, I can work using my SC license in NC, VA, MD, etc., but not GA or FL. So in GA or FL I couldn't work in a hospital for instance, but I don't know if I'm traveling with an individual as a private nurse whether I can practice in GA or FL, or other similar situations.

Fair winds,

Craig RN (Critical Care)
Amateur Radio Extra Class GROL + RADAR CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor (USCG STCW approved)
GMDSS Maintainer/Operator + RADAR USCG MMC Radio Officer, Professional Nurse
SeaRunner 37
post #120 of 126 Old 06-24-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Savor Grace View Post
Well here's a question that I need help with. I am a registered nurse, licensed in SC and VT. My SC license is a multi-state license and allows me to practice in 25 of the 50 states, plus federal facilities and Indian lands. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find the rules and regulations of practicing privately for a vessel on the ICW? My SC license covers many of the ICW states, but not all. And I will eventually want to know about practicing on the open oceans and other countries. The USCG has a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) that I qualify for as a "Professional Nurse" but I can not find the scope of practice for it. The Coast Guard is not a good source of information; If you talk to two people on their help line you get three different answers, and all of them are wrong.

Any thoughts on where I might could find the information I need? Has anyone come across a nurse practicing in this way, or for the boating public?

And I recently obtained my General Radiotelephone Operator License + RADAR endorsement, and the GMDSS Maintainer/Operator License + RADAR. Any thoughts on getting maritime work with these?
Hmmm. Don't know how much help this is.
Most Merchant ships do not carry any medical personnelle. Just First AID and one of the Officers ussualy the Master will have a Ship captains Medical certificate or whater the modern equivelnt is. and The old Haynes Manual Ship Captains Medical Guide.

Cruise ships have medical staff. including nurses most are not American Flag though owned and operated By American Companies.
Most Accept American Doctors and Nurses.

There are some Mision Ships which would love to have your services but its mostly vollenteer stuff.
Tugs, Container Ships, Tankers, Cargoe, Bulkers Ect no medics.

Research ships who knows maybe on a big one with a large crew.

Most crew through Union halls or Crewing agents. The reputable crewing agents don't charge you a fee to sign you up. They charge the company.

Private Nursing? My mom did that she was certified but not where she was working. She worked for some interesting folks. I supose its possible sombody on a big boat needs a private nurse.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in