Hard time finding crew opportunities - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 126 Old 06-24-2015

Re: Hard time finding crew opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Savor Grace View Post
I "built" a sailboat back when I was pre-teen using my dad's Jon boat. That was decades ago, and the love is still there. Even ran away from home around 13 years old and hitchhiked to Shalotte, NC and tried to get hired on a shrimp boat (they didn't hire shrimp though). I volunteered for the Navy and took my GED early to join, because I love the water. School, the Navy, work, family all put sailing on the back burner. I now have a boat, as does NoQuarter79. We both have boats, but no experience to take her out (plus my boat is not ready). Ambition? We're looking for ways to get the experience. I still need to earn an income though and thinking how I can combine my love of sailing with earning an income...

I just read something about a STCW MEDICAL FIRST AID PROVIDER and PERSON IN CHARGE OF MEDICAL CARE. As a Registered Nurse this appears to be something I'm qualified to do, but need to find out more. Another thing is radio officer, and I'm looking for more information.

Once I get my sea days I plan to take the Masters License exam and maybe run a small chartering business to keep my mains'ls in good repair... Anything that can combine my love of the water and sailing with being able to stay at it.

Bad news again to all intents and purpose the Marconi Sahib or Sparky went the way of the Do Do about 20 or 25 years ago.
Many became ellectronics officers. Todays merchant ships have GMDSS and the Navigation Officers. Have the GMDSS radio certs as in addition to there lisences. So the Mate on Watch is the "radio officer". The medical certificate is one of those additional certificates they have to get as they move up the ranks to a Master Certificate.
Think of it as bunch hairy seamen with a cub scout first aid badge attending a course they are not interested in where somebody tells them to be nice to the paitents and bring him a bed pan without laughing. It also mention catheters enimas keeping an injured person comfortable and hopefully alive until you are in range of help and some medical profesionals who know what they are doing and give a rats ass.
travlineasy likes this.

Last edited by Uricanejack; 06-24-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 07-01-2015
SailRN

Not very encouraging, but I certainly appreciate the experience shared. Time for Plan "B". What ever that may be.

Here's a real question: Some sites/people want to know how many miles you have. So far, I've only listed the few 100 I've had recently. BUT, would time aboard underway aboard a US Navy vessel be counted? I've just assumed the sea miles people quote when they say they've got 48 000 nautical miles experience meant the time they've been underway on their own boat. But isn't the Navy time worthwhile, or not? The Coast Guard tells me they won't count it because it wasn't in the deck department, but that's for a Merchant Mariner Credential. What about just being underway at sea?

Fair winds,

Craig RN (Critical Care)
Amateur Radio Extra Class GROL + RADAR CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor (USCG STCW approved)
GMDSS Maintainer/Operator + RADAR USCG MMC Radio Officer, Professional Nurse
SeaRunner 37
post #123 of 126 Old 07-01-2015

Might be counted, but if you were peeling spuds it would be pretty useless time....Go sailing, get some real experience, your just waxing the dolphin here mate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #124 of 126 Old 07-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Savor Grace View Post
Not very encouraging, but I certainly appreciate the experience shared. Time for Plan "B". What ever that may be.

Here's a real question: Some sites/people want to know how many miles you have. So far, I've only listed the few 100 I've had recently. BUT, would time aboard underway aboard a US Navy vessel be counted? I've just assumed the sea miles people quote when they say they've got 48 000 nautical miles experience meant the time they've been underway on their own boat. But isn't the Navy time worthwhile, or not? The Coast Guard tells me they won't count it because it wasn't in the deck department, but that's for a Merchant Mariner Credential. What about just being underway at sea?
I cant say for sure but probably not.
For commercial certification time is recorded not miles. 1 day worked and paid on deck = 1 days sea time. even when tied up. the rules are a bit tighter now for watch keeping time. but for the most part this is how it works. some kind of proof is required. Non commercial RYA type courses are into mileage. Keep your own log. The number is not high it has to be within the last 10 years.

It depends what you want to do and where you want to do it.

Don't give up. I think I posted this before at the beginning. I don't know about crewing for small sailing boats. I cant help you there.

Get Marine Emergency Duty Certified. There are several levels.
A. Small commercial boat, ie. sight seeing whale watching tour boat. includes basic survival craft life-jackets fire extinguishers.
B. Survival craft ie liferafts, lifeboats, equipment big ships have. (5 day Course)
B Fire Fighting(5 day course)

Cost a couple of G's.
Spend a bit more and get basic deckhand course. 4 or 5 G's at a recognized training school.

We have hired as crew. over the last few years

2 ex Kayak guides. ZERO sea time.
Several carpenters again ZERO sea time. (one is now a licensed deck officer)
One Brick Layer. again ZERO sea time.( He went back to Brick laying)
A Pastor again ZERO sea time( He went back to Pastor-ing after 3 Years)

Truth is at entry level I could care less about how many miles. I need the right certification, and a will to learn. If you want work. Go get certified. The right certificates.

If I get a resume or CV from someone who sailed around the Horn, The Cape and across the seven Seas. In his own boat or a friends. Paid or not. No certificates? it goes in the round file cabinet beside the desk.

Right certification depends what I need, Generally need people in spring.

RYA Yachtmaster? Got a green card? or Canadian equivalent?. I might talk to you. Can't use you till you get the certs which are valid here.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by Uricanejack; 07-01-2015 at 05:00 PM.
post #125 of 126 Old 07-04-2015

While others may not consider it "valid" you should, you're a few steps ahead of the guy who's never been to sea, even if the only learning you did was how to get along with many different personalities in a confined area. What did you do on the ship? While you were out, did you visit other countries? Knowing your way around an area can be a valuable asset. In the US, it is the same sea time rules for certification, it's days at sea, not miles travelled. Talk to the skipper, he can write a discharge verifying your time. It may be a little easier for the lower licenses, I'm told 4 hours traveling verified by sightings at the appropriate times qualifies as a day at sea, so now instead of getting on the ship, working 3 mos and getting a 90 day discharge, I get them one day at a time here and there when I can. I found tho, that for amy boat I skipper, licensed or not, I can write my own discharge.
post #126 of 126 Old 07-04-2015

Many bridge officers on the BC ferries got their documented sea time loading vehicles on the car deck.Key word there is 'documented' First move is the cv that shows MED's ,1st aid .and pertinent stuff like that. Keep a log and skipper signs your time. Must be over 15 tonnes.I have signed off many who were accumulating time, one afternoon sail at a time.Was a charter boat glad of a bit of willing labour. Or just build or buy a boat and sail away.

Last edited by Capt Len; 07-04-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in