Crew Needed: Chsapeake Bay to Panama - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 03-04-2015 Thread Starter

Crew Needed: Chsapeake Bay to Panama

Cal29 needs 2 people, experience preferred, to sail on May 25 from Cambridge, MD to Bocas Del Toro, Panama. We can make port whenever we feel like it.

I can be reached at wmartin78758 at yahoo.com.

Thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 03-04-2015

Re: Crew Needed: Chsapeake Bay to Panama

Seems like kind've a loose plan for an adventure of this sorts. You might provide a little more information for others.

Belladonna II - Nashville, TN
1984 O'day 26/SL
post #3 of 68 Old 03-04-2015 Thread Starter

My boat is a 1973 Cal 29. It's been on the hard at the marina in Cambridge, MD for 2 years. In Sept 2014, I, along with my trusty wooden mallet, tapped the deck and the hull exhaustively No Bubbles or blisters or soft spots were found. I inspected the chain plates and the shrouds at the chain plates. No evidence of unraveling, corrosion, or loose chain plate to deck damage. The forward port cleat had been ripped out of the deck. It's temporarily sealed until I can patch it and replace the tie down cleat in early May before sailing. Someone had removed the head toilet and replaced it with a porta potty which will be removed and a new toilet installed. I have a 12v potable water pump new in the box that I'm bringing to replace the hand pump at each fixture.

The VHF radio works well from the hard. The Atomic 4 started easily last September. The shaft bear through the hull had been leaking so I need to replace the seal and rubber boot, then reconnect and balance the shaft connection to the transmission. The repair will be on the hard; the balancing in the water. I inventoried the sails and they all are in good condition. The mainsail was only partially raised because of the boat being on the hard. I have not inspected the antenna, top shroud connections, or lights because of the boat being on the hard. One Danforth anchor, chain and rode.

PFD's are there along with flares and portable horn. I will purchase 2 inflatable ocean 2 person kayaks for use as dinghies. I have a depth finder and Garmin GPS unit that I need to mount. I have two laptops with GPS. One Laptop is a military waterproof unit with built-in GPS, touch screen, and chart plotter with good digital charts from Chesapeake Bay to the Yucatan Peninsula.

Decent V-berth, settee in main cabin, and 2 aft berths on either side of the engine. I had one crew member lined up and we were going to both take sailing classes (I haven't sailed since my Hobie 14 on Oahu in 1977). But since neither of us would have had any decent recent experience, she was talked out of going. I have a friend down the road from me in Volcan, Chiriqui who has experience also. She wants to fly up to Baltimore and help crew. My Dell laptop has a 17" screen and I'm bringing an external flat 20" monitor. I have bout 400 movies on the Dell's external hard drive to relieve monotony.

The plan is to do sea trials in Chesapeake Bay during the second week of May, then head to the Atlantic and cruise south. Stops along the way as needed for water and any emergencies. Last stop in the Keys, then on down through the Islands and into the Caribbean. Head for Bocas Del Toro, Panama as destination. In the near future (as soon as I replenish my funds), transit the Canal then south to Ecuador then West. The cruise from Maryland to Panama is expected to take 3 weeks to 1 month.

Let me know what you think. Besides email, wmartin78758 at yahoo.com, I can be reached by Panama cel: 011-507-6277-9589.

post #4 of 68 Old 03-04-2015

Entertaining read, good luck!
post #5 of 68 Old 03-05-2015

Only because I'm bored. I will restrict my comments to just a few points;

1. If you sailed in 1977 your age is north of 50. Not a deal-breaker but you are not a bullet proof teenager.

2. Your boat is 42 years old. Have the chain plates, rigging been REPLACED? If so, when.

3. The trip is 1700 +/-, do you have a reliable autopilot. Hand steering, even with three crew, sucks.

4. Cal 29 carries 20 gals of water. Even with 2 Jerry Jugs, that's 10 gals per person. 5 days at 2 gals per person per day.

5. Sounds like you have taken care of the electronics. This is a very common error of inexperienced cruisers. These are the LAST items you buy. Fix the things that will get you killed, first.

6. Two Ocean Kayaks, where do you plan to put these on a 29 ft sailboat. If you plan to tow them then the conversation is over.

7. Skip the 20" flat monitor, you won't be watching movies. You may be in one. The USCG have excellent video cameras on board their rescue Helos.

8. Have you taken those sailing classes you mentioned? Or done any offshore sailing as crew?

See, I can be nice, mostly. Keep us posted.

Gerry
proyacht likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 68 Old 03-05-2015
El Chupa Nibre

(just commenting so that I get email updates as this potential slow-motion train wreck transpires)
kjango and Shipislandpirate like this.
post #7 of 68 Old 03-05-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin78758 View Post

Let me know what you think. ...
I think you might want to spend the next two seasons making your boat seaworthy and learning how to sail. it sounds like you just bought this boat and you did your own survey?

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 68 Old 03-05-2015 Thread Starter

I do an awful lot of reading about sailing.

Actually, I am being advised on all aspects of the boat. It'll be as safe as anything out there. At 65 years of age, I want to live another 65; I'll never risk surfing Pipeline or Waimea Bay again but I'll surf up to head high any chance I get. I won't hang glide or sky dive any more, but I'll ride on a plane. I will not take unnecessary chances with my life or any other life on my watch.
post #9 of 68 Old 03-05-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubs View Post

(just commenting so that I get email updates as this potential slow-motion train wreck transpires)
I know what you mean... if I don't respond, no more message alerts so I have to check here every day.
post #10 of 68 Old 03-05-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I think you might want to spend the next two seasons making your boat seaworthy and learning how to sail. it sounds like you just bought this boat and you did your own survey?
Thanks. I wish I had two seasons but my window is coming up. I had a friend with surveying and sailing experience help me on the survey/inspection. I know basics from my old Hobie 14 and the head high waves and tradewinds showed me it's not all smooth, glassy water. The boat will be seaworthy and though I will not be proficient as a sailor, I'll be able to take directions from someone who is.

Tags
crew needed , panama , sail crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in