visit Cuba - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 06-30-2015
Banned

Re: visit Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Is the "banned" title like a scarlet "A"? It never goes away?
No, I wear it as a badge of honor. lmao
Edit. I just keep my political views to myself now. Haven't stepped foot in the political section in a few years.

oursailingadventures.com

Last edited by nccouple; 06-30-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 06-30-2015

The US and Cuba announced their intention to normalize relations in December, there many still be some restrictions in place, though they might not be enforced as they are going away soon anyway. The US still has not reopened the Embassy in Havana and there are still a number of things that are being worked out. I would double check about the current regulations and restrictions and make sure you have the most up-to-date information. Complete restoration and normalization of relations isn't going to happen overnight as there a lot of issues, although scheduled flights and ferries are already being arranged.
post #13 of 45 Old 07-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
...there many still be some restrictions in place, though they might not be enforced as they are going away soon anyway.
Wrong, and wrong again. There ARE still restrictions in place, and when or if they will go away is completely up in the air.

We are going to open an embassy in Cuba, and allow them to have one here. The current administration has basically said that they are not going to enforce the laws concerning visits to Cuba, but of course that could change completely with the next administration.

As of now, none of the laws concerning visiting Cuba have changed, and Congress has given no indication at all that they intend to ever change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
...although scheduled flights and ferries are already being arranged.
Scheduled flights have been happening for years now. Nothing at all new there. The only thing new is the talk of possible ferry service. At this point it is only talk, though. The administration has not issued any details on how ferry service would be authorized, they have only said that they would consider it. I would hardly call that "already being arranged."

Bottom line is that very little has changed at this point. Yes, changes are in the wind, and more is very likely to come (I certainly hope so). For now, though, it is still illegal for an American to go to Cuba as a tourist.

The odds of getting caught are even less now than they were before, and they weren't all that great before. So it is probably fairly safe to go. But if you do, and if you are the one in a million who does get caught, don't expect me (or anyone else--most especially anyone who tells you that it is okay to go) to contribute to your legal expenses, or to the payment of your fine. You're on your own.

post #14 of 45 Old 07-01-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22q View Post
I'm an American. I need no permission. In case you missed it Bush lost and the USGC has more important things to do. the ill considered blockade (such as it was) is history.
Actually Kennedy got assassinated. Bush had nothing to do with it (except we all know that everything that is wrong with the world is Bush's fault!) The embargo was passed on 19 October 1960 after the Castro regime expropriated US assets without compensation.

Note that it wasn't a blockade, it was an embargo. The blockade (Kennedy again, October 22, 1962) was in response to the Soviet Union installing nuclear missiles in Cuba. Clearly an "ill considered" blockade. That must have been Bush's fault too!

Glad you are an American. Good on you. Me too. Sure beats being Cuban - haven't noticed many Americans seeking asylum in Cuba but a large number of Cubans seem to be seeking asylum in the U.S.
kj3564, bandaidmd and Markwesti like this.

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #15 of 45 Old 07-01-2015

Hear due to lack of industry and population density the reefs and coral remain in good health. Cuba underwater approaches the glories of the lesser Antilles of decades past. Personally as long as they don't kill Americans can't wait to go. Sure like to see it before the charter boats crap it up.
grnrngr likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #16 of 45 Old 07-01-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Hear due to lack of industry and population density the reefs and coral remain in good health. Cuba underwater approaches the glories of the lesser Antilles of decades past. Personally as long as they don't kill Americans can't wait to go. Sure like to see it before the charter boats crap it up.
You know I keep on hearing that once they let Americans in it will be ruined. The rest of the world goes there now, and I don't think there will be a huge influx if Americans are allowed to go there. There are already lots of tourists going there now, though I am not sure if there is charter fleet there currently. I think most Americans really have little interest in going there. I personally would like to go, but for most I think other Caribbean locations will still draw more, though the competition may bring the price of some of the other all inclusive resorts. I will admit that much of the rest of the region has been ruined by America's desire for cheap vacations and general lack of environmental care.

But back to the original poster, there have been NO changes in the laws about normal US citizens going there at all. Just a statement that we are going to normalize relations at some point and some new classes that are allowed to get visas. So unless you are in the new classes (tourism still not allowed) you still can't get a visa. It is still illegal to spend US dollars there. It might not be a bad idea if you decide to go to get a bunch of Canadian dollars to spend while you are there.
post #17 of 45 Old 07-01-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
You know I keep on hearing that once they let Americans in it will be ruined. The rest of the world goes there now, and I don't think there will be a huge influx if Americans are allowed to go there.
I have a friend who is in the "provide support to cruise ships" industry. They have a contract with every cruise line they work with to establish a base in Cuba within 1 month of normalization of relations and be fully operational within 3 months. This would suggest that the cruise ship industry believes Cuba will be a big draw. If "standard" cruise ship practice (in at 8 AM, out a 4 PM) is any indication like most islands in the Caribbean the cruise ship impact will be limited to 10 blocks from the cruise ship pier and most of the money will flow to the politically connected.

Fair winds and following seas

Sailboat Reboot

Reboot's Agent's Email:

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #18 of 45 Old 07-01-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Savor Grace View Post
He's going to Cuba, not China, Vietnam, Russia, Japan, Italy, Germany, England, etc., all who have shed American blood.
Actually a few American's were killed when Colonel Teddy Roosevelt (later President of the United States) led the Rough Riders up San Juan Hill (July 1, 1898)

PS Roosevelt was awarded the Medal of Honor in 2001 for his military actions in Cuba.

Fair winds and following seas
Markwesti likes this.

Sailboat Reboot

Reboot's Agent's Email:

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #19 of 45 Old 07-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Wrong, and wrong again. There ARE still restrictions in place, and when or if they will go away is completely up in the air.

As of now, none of the laws concerning visiting Cuba have changed, and Congress has given no indication at all that they intend to ever change them.

Scheduled flights have been happening for years now. Nothing at all new there. The only thing new is the talk of possible ferry service. At this point it is only talk, though. The administration has not issued any details on how ferry service would be authorized, they have only said that they would consider it. I would hardly call that "already being arranged."

Bottom line is that very little has changed at this point. Yes, changes are in the wind, and more is very likely to come (I certainly hope so). For now, though, it is still illegal for an American to go to Cuba as a tourist.

The odds of getting caught are even less now than they were before, and they weren't all that great before. So it is probably fairly safe to go. But if you do, and if you are the one in a million who does get caught, don't expect me (or anyone else--most especially anyone who tells you that it is okay to go) to contribute to your legal expenses, or to the payment of your fine. You're on your own.
You must love to tell people they're wrong, because the crux of my post did not contradict the crux of your post. I said more things MAY be lifted, but keep up to date. Lo and behold, since your post, the US and Cuba have reached an agreement to reopen their embassies U.S. and Cuba to announce embassy openings - CNNPolitics.com

A few weeks ago, the US took Cuba of the State Sponsors or Terror list, another step that caused many of the restrictions that we're talking about. The biggest restrictions are enforced policies of the Treasury Department, you can see here that many of them have been revised this year: http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen.../fr80_2291.pdf

Two months ago, JetBlue announced a direct flight to Cuba... I'd say that's new: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...ew-york-havana also a direct ferry from Key West was announced, also something new: Companies prepare for ferry service to Cuba. Most companies looking to Key West for ports | News | KeysNet Previous flights to Cuba previously have had to be classified as "Charter Flights", despite the fact they flew 300,000 people in 2014: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/wo...cuba.html?_r=0
post #20 of 45 Old 07-01-2015

Huh. That's funny. I never realized that "they are going away soon" [emphasis added] and "things MAY be lifted" are both exactly the same. My thesaurus doesn't even show "are" and "may" as being synonyms. I guess I'd better get a new thesaurus. I guess you learn something new every day.

(See, the great thing about a forum like this is that people can go back and see exactly what you wrote. So when you try to claim that you actually said something different, you just end up looking kind of silly.)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in