Crew wanted Norfolk to BVI, about Nov 1 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 08-22-2018

Re: Crew wanted Norfolk to BVI, about Nov 1

I pay all boat related expenses. That means fuel, food, electricity and any direct boat expenses. I let people stay on the boat before and after the passage within reason. I wonít let someone stay on the boat for weeks on end as I like being alone with my wife. I have made exceptions even to point of having a crew member be joined by wife or S.O. when the relationship between us turns into friendship which isnít infrequent.
I wonít pay someoneís bar bill. Iíd go broke with some crew. I do have single malt, beer etc. on the boat and at the end of passage a celebration is in order. I have and have had people fly in from western Canada, England and Europe to crew. Then fly either home or to a different locale. Not interested in covering that. I did throw a crew off the boat once. I did pay his flight as I was time constrainted and wanted him GONE so I could make use of a favorable weather window.
I know some professionals. Occasionally they, as a favor, will crew. I cover everything for them including flights and/ or will change my destination or cruise to their next paying job.
Itís important to treat your crew well if you want them to repeat or be a new friend. I have swapped. You crew for me - Iíll crew for you. Itís all good. Wife pays a lot of attention to crews food preferences. They commonly gain weight.
Slayer, CaptTony and capta like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 08-22-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
Some valid points on both sides, so here's my thoughts:

I've had owners pay all expenses including to/from the boat, and some that don't. And I've volunteered to help owners move boats and I've also been paid.

Generally I expect all expenses to be paid if I'm volunteering, but also might waive the to/from if the owner is kind enough to allow a few days, maybe up to a week, aboard after arrival so I might explore a new place. I also try to purchase my return ticket well in advance to save on costs, and being allowed to stay aboard makes that much easier to allow for delays in arrival. If I have to leave right away then I don't help unless the owner is paying my return; I don't want the added burden of paying the reschedule fee to the airline because the boat was delayed or for a hotel room ashore while waiting for my flight.

I've also purchased the flight back only to have the owner cancel and leave me stuck for the airline fee.

Yes, it is work, but it is work I love so no biggie there, but I am also faced with the necessity to work to pay my bills, and being gone for a couple or more weeks puts a serious dent in the ability to pay my bills.

Like Captain Tony I did not elect to renew my crew availability with Salty Dawg when they started charging the crew. The bottom line is I'd love to help, love the work, but won't pay to do so.
Fair enough.
I certainly wouldn't put a good crew member off immediately after a delivery as I'd never burn a bridge like that. Someday I might want his help.
A few days or even a week plus, if I didn't have to be somewhere, would be no problem for me, but I wouldn't want to have to run a taxi service if we were anchored out.
Last time I was kind to a delivery crew member by letting her use the boat as a hotel after the trip and even letting her use the dinghy, after giving an absolutely no nonsense 100% clear order that the dinghy was not to leave Charlotte Amalie inner harbor (I even pointed out the buoys that were the limit to her from the deck before she got in the dinghy), a friend called and said it was tied to the dock @ Frenchman's Reef Hotel, in the way of the tour boats!
When that crew member got herself back to the boat (I had taken the dinghy back) her bags were packed and she didn't even have time to hit the head before I was taking her ashore. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be nice.
By the way, I sailed Searunner 37, #1 from Pago Pago to St. T via the Red Sea and the Med. Absolutely my favorite ocean cruising vessel, ever!
SailRN likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 08-22-2018 at 08:18 PM.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-22-2018

Guess SDR figgers it costs money to run a crew service and they are a non profit so donít want to absorb the cost. The this new to me that they are charging. They donít charge captains beyond the rally charge for this service. I have given them the annual membership fee even when not doing any passages because I like their educational services and think they are a good group.
Iím curious does the other crew services charge crew such as crew Finders, OPO and the like?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 25 Old 08-22-2018
SailRN

I believe that the SDR crew list is just that, a list of crew for the SDR captains only, whereas some others provide crew lists that are wide-open. Some provide matching between boat and crew using many factors, such as length of boat, crew skills, boarding and destination locations, unpaid, contribute, or paid. Some charge the crew, but the ones I like do not.

I am looking for maritime employment, want to change from land-based to working aboard, though not necessarily as a registered nurse. That's why I use the crew services offering employment.

Fair winds,

Craig RN (Critical Care)
Amateur Radio Extra Class GROL + RADAR CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor (USCG STCW approved)
GMDSS Maintainer/Operator + RADAR USCG MMC Radio Officer, Professional Nurse
SeaRunner 37
post #15 of 25 Old 08-22-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Iím curious does the other crew services charge crew such as crew Finders, OPO and the like?
Most of the quality crewing services like Crew Finders charge both the boat and the crew for the service, but they are professionals (they make their living doing this) and supply vetted crew members and bona fide jobs.
Many of the crewing services only charge the crew, because if they didn't they'd be inundated with thousands of dreamers who would never actually take a job. Rarely do I need to pay to offer work, unless I am seeking professional, competent and experienced crew. Add to that, highly paid.
The free sites for serious folks looking to make a living on boats are pretty much a waste of time unless you get really lucky. Using a professional agency is the best way to go. It's only a matter of going with a good reliable company that will work to get you a job, not some fly by night just trying to scam money out of folks. Same as for work ashore.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 25 Old 08-22-2018

OPO charges an annual fee of $135. Then you receive emails for crewing opportunities. They perform some vetting. They give you good feed back on repeat owners/captains, and basic info on first time O/Cís. The owner, Hank, is a great, approachable guy. He will respond to problems and answer questions.
capta and Rezz like this.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-23-2018

Lightbulb Re: Crew wanted Norfolk to BVI, about Nov 1

I think itís real simple. The owner of the boat decides if they want to pay for crew or not. A crew member decides if they want to get paid or not.
Itís about communication between the two parties. I have always been paid for the sailing days, expenses (food bought for on the boat etc.) and return airfare, which was all agreed on in advance. Now owning a boat myself I expect to do the same if I ever wanted hired crew, however friends are offering their services for free in order to sail and have fun.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-23-2018
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I never charge crew for non-professional deliveries and will go out of my way to see they have the food, drink and even special snacks they like, but I will not pay transportation to and from the boat, ever.
I'm mostly looking for inexperienced crew who are interested in learning and making the sail. Generally, once we've reached our destination, I don't want to cruise with my delivery crew, but it has happened that we've become good friends on the sail and spent several months or more cruising together.

I think its how the crew and captain approach the delivery and what agreement they make. I can't see how you could expect a captain (especially if family and/or friends are joining him) would want you around to go cruising if he doesn't need the help. Of course, if you want to cruise and stay with the boat, you should make sure the owner understands and agrees to this before the trip, not just expect it at the end.
Not to be rude, but with all your experience you obviously understand that, so why the rant?
I think you miss my point. Just by virtue of the fact that crew have to pay travel expenses to reach a boat and then leave a boat, that crew is spending money out of their own pocket to work on that boat. To me, that is paying to work.

And yes, I understand most owners don't want crew to stay with the boat once the delivery is made, and I'm more than fine with that as long as travel expenses are paid. Also, in the negotiation phase of the delivery, I always mention that I'll pay my travel if I can stay with the boat for at least a week. It's not a demand - just an option around the boat owner paying my travel expenses. The problem, as I found out after several Salty Dawg Rallies, is most of those owners are going to sit in a harbor for an extended period of time and not cruise. I'm pretty sure I touched on that in my original post.

As for the reason for my "rant," I don't think inexperienced sailors and even some owners understand what goes into a delivery like the SDR boats. Each delivery on which I crewed down to the islands over the last three years took at least two weeks, even the last one on a 42' catamaran. In 2016, I was on a boat that pretty much had most of its systems fail including a blown out mainsail that should have been replaced before we even left. In 2015, the boat I was on went through a storm with sustained winds between 80 and 90 knots with gusts over 100 knots (weather service called it a tropical storm, but it was a hurricane - Kate). I think sailors who want to take part in "pay to crew" deals should know what they are getting into.

And last, I think the Salty Dawg Rally is totally justified in what they charge boat owners for a membership fee. However, crew members provide a service to boat owners for which they are not paid as a rule. Some boat owners will pay travel, but the majority will not. I just think a membership fee for the crew on top of that is unfair.

Capt Tony
post #19 of 25 Old 08-23-2018
SailRN

There are very good points in this discussion. As Caren said it's an agreement. And as Captain Tony stated if I'm permitted to stay aboard ~ one week (usually less) after arrival to both explore/enjoy a destination and to allow for flight scheduling, and it's someplace I want to go, then it's often fair to pay my own to/from.

But, does anyone have suggestions on how best to arrange an agreement? I ask this because of boats that have canceled (a friend has decided to go along or there's been a change of plans) after I've purchased flights and left me "high and dry" without recourse.

Fair winds,

Craig RN (Critical Care)
Amateur Radio Extra Class GROL + RADAR CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor (USCG STCW approved)
GMDSS Maintainer/Operator + RADAR USCG MMC Radio Officer, Professional Nurse
SeaRunner 37
post #20 of 25 Old 08-23-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
that crew is spending money out of their own pocket to work on that boat. To me, that is paying to work.
A lot of professions have apprenticeships whereby someone wishing to work in that field will work for free or even pay for the learning experience. My daughter spent a summer in Ireland doing just that, as a jeweler.
Sailing is no different. If you consider yourself a professional who is qualified to be a paid crew member, why in the world would you, unless you were looking for free transportation, take a position where you did not receive what you thought was fair and proper compensation?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in