Crew wanted Norfolk to BVI, about Nov 1 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 08-23-2018

Re: Crew wanted Norfolk to BVI, about Nov 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
I ask this because of boats that have canceled (a friend has decided to go along or there's been a change of plans) after I've purchased flights and left me "high and dry" without recourse.

That is just a dick move, but I think you have little recourse accept to spread the word about the owner or just never crew for him. I had something similar happen where the owner decided to leave a week early. I didn't learn of this until I emailed him a few weeks before to confirm everything. I think had I not emailed him he would have just left Bermuda leaving me on the dock with my you know what in my hand. So the change in flight went from something like $150 to almost five hundred. I offered to pay half the increase if he paid the other but he refused.

Now I know with blue water sailing your schedule must be flexible, and I always build a weather window into my schedule. Be he was adamant on the earliest departure date, with the possibility it might be delayed: not advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 08-23-2018

Think RN is not representative of many who crew.
Crew for fall SDR
Licensed captain who owns/runs a sailing school in B.C.. needs hours for RYA yachmaster. Flights to New England significant.
US captain looking for sailing endorsement.
Newbie looking fo first significant passage.
Past crew have included
Sailor looking for passage on a Outbound prior to spec’ing one for himself.
Sailor in high pressure job who does one or two passages a year to truly get away and enjoy blue water.
Friends
OCC members or SDR or cruising club of America who are boatless for one reason or another who just want a passage.
The above is representative of crew both for passages and races. They want something out of the passage. I give it to them at no cost beyond getting to the boat. I pick them up at the airport or have the wife drive them there if they are locals.
At present and for the last 35 years there have been enough good people I haven’t had to offer any further inticements. If supply/demand changes perhaps my view with change. Beyond that I need to give them a good,safe enjoyable trip. That’s it.
Slayer likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #23 of 25 Old 08-23-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
So the change in flight went from something like $150 to almost five hundred. I offered to pay half the increase if he paid the other but he refused.
That really is a $hitty thing to do to somebody and as an owner, I'd just have to take some financial responsibility in that situation. I hope you left him sailing shorthanded w/o you. As a crew, I couldn't imagine sailing with someone that rude and cheap.
Way to begin a trip with lots of bad vibes, something one just doesn't need at sea.
Slayer and RegisteredUser like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 25 Old 08-24-2018

What I agreed on as crew with the owner of the vessel was a cash amount for a flight ticket home based on the average ticket price returning to the home port. What I did with the money was up to me.
That way the responsibility is in your own hands and the owner doesn’t have to worry about it at all.
Sometimes I got another crew position right back or to somewhere else, other times I flew back or to another port.
Again it’s all about agreeing in advance before making a commitment.
This was however in the 80s and 90s and I don’t know if the market has changed.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-02-2018

Send a message via Skype™ to captcore

Hello,

I am a licensed captain with 30 years experience (yes, my whole life) and I am interested in helping you on your delivery. I am also a paramedic and firefighter in my community. I have taught sailing for 12 years, and have done this particular trip about 6 times, 4 as part of a rally.

I can be reached at [email protected] and can send my resume if you are still interested.

Best,

Capt Corey Mitchell

Captain Corey Mitchell
100 Ton Master, Sail and Tow Endorsed
Maryland Medic and Firefighter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for all your captain needs.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in