First Time Crewing - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 01-03-2019

Dock
Re: First Time Crewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I found out that you can rent a Sat phone for like $100 for the month.
Really???????????????

Got a link to that one?

I see rentals about USD $500 per month.

If you can see it at $100 per month I would be interested.

https://www.satphone.co.uk/rent/

https://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/rent/phone-rental

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 01-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have never asked a crew member to pay for anything themselves, including liquor, as they are helping me do the job of moving the boat..
Please educate me a little on a legal point. I was once told that crew coming on board and providing nothing (no food, drinks, money for fuel, etc) are considered volunteer guests and take on the risk of sailing themselves. However, if they provide any sort of compensation (like food, drinks, money for fuel) then they are considered paying customers so the skipper must be licensed, the skipper takes all the risk and is open to be sued should something happen. When traveling to regattas, I make it a point to provide all drinks, food, transportation expenses, rooms and anything else necessary to ensure my crew falls into the guest category. Of course, the best course of action is not to invite anyone that would sue you in the first place.

Was I wrongly informed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ImGary01; 01-03-2019 at 04:22 PM.
post #23 of 43 Old 01-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGary01 View Post
Please educate me a little on a legal point. I was once told that crew coming on board and providing nothing (no food, drinks, money for fuel, etc) are considered volunteer guests and take on the risk of sailing themselves. However, if they provide any sort of compensation (like food, drinks, money for fuel) then they are considered paying customers so the skipper must be licensed, the skipper takes all the risk and is open to be sued should something happen. When traveling to regattas, I make it a point to provide all drinks, food, transportation expenses, rooms and anything else necessary to ensure my crew falls into the guest category. Of course, the best course of action is not to invite anyone that would sue you in the first place.

Was I wrongly informed?

Thanks in advance.
Makes sense.
If you takes your mom sailing and feed her, you need to be licensed.
Sure...

post #24 of 43 Old 01-03-2019
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:

Was I wrongly informed?

Thanks in advance.
Yes. Crew prorated contributions to actual expenses is not compensation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ImGary01 likes this.

Certified...in several regards...
post #25 of 43 Old 01-04-2019

Quote:

Was I wrongly informed?

Thanks in advance.
I think this is current

Section 2101 of title 46 (5a) defines “consideration” as an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary (fancy attorney word for money) payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.” Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes, are not considered as an exchange of consideration.

Bottom line: If you are a recreational boater, you are allowed to share expenses for a day on the water. Just don’t make payment mandatory if someone wants a boat ride.
https://boatsafe.wordpress.com/2010/...tains-license/
ImGary01 likes this.

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
post #26 of 43 Old 01-04-2019
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Really???????????????

Got a link to that one?

I see rentals about USD $500 per month.

If you can see it at $100 per month I would be interested.

https://www.satphone.co.uk/rent/

https://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/rent/phone-rental

The guy I spoke to is in NYC., its an Iridium phone
Don Jimenez
And I was wrong about the price - it was $199 for a month - just checked, its the same price. And because I am local - I was picking it up and returning it to the store. https://www.geofone.net/order-forms/...ridium-thuraya

https://www.geofone.net/

Don Jimenez

GF LOGO 2

One Union Square West

Suite 510

New York , New York

1 212 532 2112

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 01-04-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #27 of 43 Old 01-04-2019

How many minutes does that include? How much data? Which device?
Have found phones are cheap. They get you on data and/or minutes. That’s true for satellite or out of country cellphone chips.
Now a days would be suspect of any voyaging captain who hasn’t set up suitable offshore comm on his own. Can’t think of a friend without some form of appropriate set of devices. Do increasingly see people forgoing SSB but not the other stuff to at least the extent of some level of redundancy. I don’t have a InReach. I’m pleased when crew brings one along or an extra epirb, Spot, sat phone etc. On the other side I won’t crew on an offshore boat that doesn’t have adequate comm and nav gear. I would also wonder what else is sketchy.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 43 Old 01-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
The guy I spoke to is in NYC., its an Iridium phone
Don Jimenez
And I was wrong about the price - it was $199 for a month - just checked, its the same price. And because I am local - I was picking it up and returning it to the store. https://www.geofone.net/order-forms/...ridium-thuraya

https://www.geofone.net/

Don Jimenez

GF LOGO 2

One Union Square West

Suite 510

New York , New York

1 212 532 2112

If the cost is +/- $200 for one month, it's a good deal for a delivery or a passage from say NE to the Caribbean. I think it would be prudent to have on board and it's not going to break the budget.
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #29 of 43 Old 01-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanealoha View Post
If I double bag, will bagels and tortillas last a bit or will they get soggy ,quickly, no matter what? Chocolate stash will be huge, the question will be if I have the control to NOT make it my primary food source?
A trick I learned long ago, that I truly believe works, is to store bread, chips, bagels, etc in the microwave. I assume it's an air exchange thing.

That said, bagels wouldn't last a passage I don't think. Tortilla chips do reasonably well, if you roll the top over and clip it closed to reduce air exchange. My wife just crumples the top and it drives me crazy. Bring several smaller bags, so you can open them incrementally. The unopened will be unaffected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #30 of 43 Old 01-05-2019

Quote:
Was I wrongly informed?

Thanks in advance.
As mentioned, crew can pay their proportion of variable costs, without violating commercial requirements for the Captain and vessel.

I'm more familiar with the same provision in aviation, where proportionate cost sharing is also allowed. These cost must include only fuel and fees for the trip. You can't charge a portion of your hangar or insurance, for example. The real key in aviation is that everyone aboard has to have been planning the exact same trip for the exact same purpose. IOW, the pilot can't agree to fly someone to their destination for their proportionate cost of the fuel. He has to have intended to be going there anyway.

There is another compensation concept that one might be weary over. The notion that one is receiving experience alone is considered compensation by the FAA. One is not allowed to accept that compensation, without a commercial license, which is more the burden of one's crew in the OPs case. I'm not sure how the USCG sees this point.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in