Rail meat available in Chicago.... Whenever that's possible - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By paulk
  • 1 Post By jephotog
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Unread 01-19-2019 Thread Starter

Rail meat available in Chicago.... Whenever that's possible

Hi everyone! Call it cabin fever, but I wanted to hop in here and volunteer as a totally green, but eager and intelligent, crew member in Chicago and the surrounding areas.

No, I don't know how to tie that knot or what to call that piece of hardware. Yet. But I can take a joke and a command and will soak everything up like a sponge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Unread 01-20-2019
Barquito

Re: Rail meat available in Chicago.... Whenever that's possible

Check into local sailing clubs. There may be meet-and-greet events for skippers who are looking for crew for the coming season.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 6 Unread 01-20-2019
Master Mariner

If this is really something you want to do, why don't you get ahead of the game and learn to tie the 4 basic knots all by your self? A bowline, clove hitch, square knot and half hitch. Not at all hard to do.
As for terminology, again this is something you can do on your own, no need to bother those aboard the racing boat you obviously want to join, with something so basic. Come to the party as prepared as possible, would be my suggestion.
I highly recommend Royce's Sailing Illustrated as a basic primer. It covers just about everything one needs to know to safely handle a small craft in a fun yet comprehensive format. From anchoring to boat nomenclature and even splicing, it's got most of what you'll need for getting started, yet is still a good reference book for the most experienced of us. No preachy tome here.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 6 Unread 01-20-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If this is really something you want to do, why don't you get ahead of the game and learn to tie the 4 basic knots all by your self? A bowline, clove hitch, square knot and half hitch. Not at all hard to do.
As for terminology, again this is something you can do on your own, no need to bother those aboard the racing boat you obviously want to join, with something so basic. Come to the party as prepared as possible, would be my suggestion.
I highly recommend Royce's Sailing Illustrated as a basic primer. It covers just about everything one needs to know to safely handle a small craft in a fun yet comprehensive format. From anchoring to boat nomenclature and even splicing, it's got most of what you'll need for getting started, yet is still a good reference book for the most experienced of us. No preachy tome here.
I'm doing a lot of those things! The line about the knots and vocabulary was just to paint a picture. Would have been more accurate to say that I've been reading, but I haven't been sailing. Yet.
post #5 of 6 Unread 01-20-2019

I had good luck just showing up at CYC on a weekend (couldn't get in to my wife's convention) and asking around. I looked for boats that seemed like they could use more people. Upshot was that I ended up being asked back & crewed on two CHI-MACs, while living in CT. Willing crews are valuable commodities!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by paulk; 01-20-2019 at 08:48 PM.
post #6 of 6 Unread 01-21-2019

The best thing you can do is arrange your life and work schedule to be at a race as often as possible. The more you race, the more you'll learn and the more you'll be known around the yacht clubs. Continue reading, practicing knots and show up during the start of race season, you will soon have more opportunities than time on your hands.

https://www.chicagoyachtclub.org/def...er&ssid=319174
Crew Finder - Chicago Corinthian Yacht Club
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in