Novice wanting to learn - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jephotog
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2019 Thread Starter

Smile Novice wanting to learn

Hey,
My name is David Jacobsson and I am a 36-year old physics teacher student from Sweden. I hope to join some crews during the summer with the ultimate goal of joining a crew crossing the Atlantic. As I have not worked on a boat before I can consider paying for my food during the first trips. I have spent a lot of time camping and hiking, can work hard and it is a long time dream to learn sailing.

My studies finish in early june, so from then on I am interested in joining and helping out with trips in the baltic/North Sea/Atlantic area. : )

David Jacobsson, Linköping Sweden.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2019

Re: Novice wanting to learn

Hi David there are very few non North Americans on this forum. It is unlikely a Cruising Swede will find your post here. You may consider YBW forum which is UK based. You might want to visit large harbor towns in Sweden to see how to get onboard a cruising boat for the summer.
SailRN likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
David_Jacobsson (03-05-2019)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2019
Master Mariner

Welcome. If you are anything like the Swedes I've crossed the Atlantic with, sailing is probably built into your Viking DNA! lol
I highly recommend Royce's Sailing Illustrated as a basic primer. It covers just about everything one needs to know to safely handle a small craft in a fun yet comprehensive format. From anchoring to boat nomenclature and even splicing, it's got most of what you'll need for getting started, yet is still a good reference book for the most experienced of us. No preachy tome here.
It would certainly help you in searching for crew positions if you knew the terminology (we sailors speak a different language) and a few knots.
SailRN likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
David_Jacobsson (03-05-2019)

post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check YBW out!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2019 Thread Starter

Cool book! Looks like just the right size and concrete enough - thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in