Quit life, go sail? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 03-19-2019
dadio917

Re: Quit life, go sail?

Quite the life question to pose to a ragtag bunch as ourselves.

Here is my thought: If you started nursing school you must have some thought of helping others. If you would consider a maritime career you must have some desire for adventure. Why not join the peace corps and do both? Go live somewhere very different and help people for a year. Someplace you can make a difference. Might help put things in focus.

btw...there is no quitting life, just choosing how to spend it.
Rezz likes this.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 03-19-2019

As we don't know what OP's vision is... we can only guess. My guess is that it involves a sailing or motor yacht and not a merchant marine vessel or cruise ship. Camden ME has a bunch of schooners and must hire crew each year and there are numerous day trip charters on boats in Newport for example which also take on crew each year. Newport is a good salty location and you can network. Mega-yachts do Newport in season and likely crew up there. And there are sailing schools, boat building school and sailboat rentals and so on. It a very vibrant fun community.
mbianka likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 03-19-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-19-2019

^^ I got the impression from her OP she was asking about a career on the water, not a summer job on an excursion boat or as a sailing instructor.

Maybe if she posts again she will clarify, but my response was based on the wording of her original post which mentioned; maritime academies, able seaman certificates, cruise ships and container ships.

Those jobs in small sailing vessels can't really be used as preparation for sea going careers for a bunch of reasons, but the big one is the sea time on those boats isn't recognized for any of the bigger licences. To write commercial licenses sea time generally needs to be on commercial vessels with some tonnage sailing beyond protected waters.
SanderO and zeehag like this.

post #14 of 22 Old 03-19-2019
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

as nurses are able to work worldwide, continue nursing school and get a teaching cred and have total freedom to work and play anywhere in world. cruise ships use rns as do merchant marines and military. flight nurse in airforce is an enviable position.
besides there is always the fall back shift to pay for the surprises that tumble into your path. when i became disabled rn emergency was paying 45 usd hourly and 650usd a 12 hour shift via agency contract.
best of luck in your decisions. all your choices are not available here in sailnet. you must venture out more and understand the flexibility of a registered nurse, especially one with trauma and critical care experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 22 Old 03-20-2019

If you're talking about income you can get from work from a sailing boat...
Nurse means you have to be on a large vessel or work ashore.
Hair dresser / barber you can do anywhere - you need to be where lots of boats are and spread the word
Mechanic (most sailors DYI)
electrician (most sailors DYI)
plumber (most sailors DYI)
rigger (maybe)
canvas work / upholstery - seamstress
brightwork - wax and varnish
graphics design / CAD work

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #16 of 22 Old 03-20-2019

Nursing is a noble profession. If you become a nurse work hard, spend wisely you have the opportunity to own a boat and a home and retire early and go cruising. Those opportunities greatly diminish as a professional sailor unless you become a merchant marine. As a traveling nurse you get paid more and can work seasonally, so you could be cruising on a boat and return home to do a few months of work and go back to your boat and continue cruising. I can think of very few careers that lend itself as well to supporting a cruising lifestyle.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #17 of 22 Old 03-24-2019
Marine World Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by caimalia View Post
Hello! I'e decided to take a left turn out of nursing school and am not sure of my next moves. I sailed in high school and college and in this moment where i feel more free to do anything than i ever did before, i've been considering working on boats. I have a few questions/requests for advice from y'all knowledgable folks!

What is the best way to get started? I'm looking at maritime schools, but i'd like to get my feet wet before I make a decision to do something so long term. I've looked at oceancrewlink, but I'm just not sure about what I'm even looking for. What are the different roles or different type of excursions? I guess some of my examples would be working of a cruise ship, versus a huge container ship, versus a small sail boat, versus a fishing boat. What would i be looking at as far as training for the different roles? Should I pursue my able seaman? Should i jump right in and go for my captains? What could i do differently with each? I feel like i don't know how to talk about all this, which is getting me advice from different folks that either doesnt much help me, or just ends up adding confusion.

And, very importantly, where do y'all find jobs? And, lastly, how safe of a job is this for single women? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much!
ICU/ER nurse here for 23 years before being introduced to sailing at 42, I hope I can share my own experience and give you some nuggets to think about for your own journey.

I am based out of CA and the coast line here is dotted with many hospitals and medical centers that have marinas and berths. Which to me is the perfect mix of work and sailing. I've done an assignment in Oxnard and was living(a sneakaboard) on my first boat a 27 foot Lyle Hess designed Balboa and was just learning how to sail. It was a perfect situation, on my days off I'd be circling Anacapa, sail to Santa Barbara, MDR, Catalina, and all the way to SD and the stops that come with it. While I was there I hauled out and was in the hard for a couple of weeks and learned bottom painting, bright work, some electrical work, etc.

It's been 4 years now and the dream of cutting the lines is getting real with each passing day. Barring any life-threatening events, disease, etc. I hope and pray to make that tack very soon and sail wing on wing towards the South Pacific and SE Asia.

If I can humbly offer an opinion, I would stay in nursing and continue to perfect the craft and when your circumstances open up for that chance, hoist your sails and embrace the liveaboard life.
jephotog and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-24-2019
Marine World Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Nursing is a noble profession. If you become a nurse work hard, spend wisely you have the opportunity to own a boat and a home and retire early and go cruising. Those opportunities greatly diminish as a professional sailor unless you become a merchant marine. As a traveling nurse you get paid more and can work seasonally, so you could be cruising on a boat and return home to do a few months of work and go back to your boat and continue cruising. I can think of very few careers that lend itself as well to supporting a cruising lifestyle.
That is the key. Do not compete with your peers at work. Begin living like a cruiser, simple and respectful of the resources given to you.
mbianka likes this.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-25-2019

Iím a retired doc. Wifeís a retired RN. We maintained our licensure and various certifications for awhile after retiring. Although it was feasible to do charity work in our home country it was quite problematic to do it in other countries. This was true even when going through established NGOs such as medicin sans frontiers. Most want a work history, active licensure, a fixed time commitment and ability to be entirely self supporting. We switched gears and have helped out when we can outside any governmental or NGO opportunities. This can be accomplished via local churches or simple word of mouth.
With you just starting out would suggest not becoming a diploma nurse. Most hospitals now want to see at least a bachelors in nursing before hiring. Any hiatus from your career can be dealt with by recertifications and recent continuing ed.
Know multiple people who are professionals in the marine industry. From them and personal observations would say.
Working on a ship except in deck and engineering capacities is the same except more limiting than the same job on land. Doesnít matter if sail or motor. Being a maid, bartender or waitress is the same if on a cruise ship. The actual maritime jobs require schooling. Look to Mass Maritime or Kings Point to get a sense of whatís involved.
Working on a 1%ers boat is no walk in the park either. At present commonly requires no tattoos, clean medical and drug and criminal history, poor wages, no job security and social isolation. Seems white South Africans, Eastern Europeans, multilingual people have first dibs on these jobs.
Cook was mentioned. To date the cooks we know are commonly part of a couple. Interestingly know several couples where the female is the captain and male the cook. On many boats the cook is credentialed in that art.
The feasibility of being a traveling nurse is something to think about. Wife knows multiple people doing this and enjoying their other life while doing it. Be it skiing, climbing or wilderness for example. This would give you the most flexibility and allow you a rewarding career when you swallow the anchor.
In any case have fun but be realistic. BTW will be looking for passage crew spring of 2020. Try to take one newbie so stay in touch.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #20 of 22 Old 03-29-2019
Captain Obvious

One Post Wonder

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Tags
job , start , type , women , work

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in