Quit life, go sail? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Quit life, go sail?

I was in a similar position a few years ago, although slightly older than you. Speaking from a European perspective here, working in the maritime industry is hard - the working hours are crazy and the money is, well, so so, at least at the beginning... Personally I did that for a few years and then realised that I would be better off doing something else and sail in my free time. In some European countries you can be a professional boat owner (if you can afford that) and rent out your boat for a few months, specially in the summer. You don't get rich but you can make a decent living and - very important for some of us... - be independent, have time to spend with your kids etc...
jephotog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Quit life, go sail?

I am a graduate of the US Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point), sailed as a engineer on cargo ships after graduating, worked for a engineering firm designing ships for the US Navy and then spent almost 28 years teaching marine engineering at Kings Point. So I think I know something about the maritime academies and work in the commercial marine industry. Some comments:
1. Working on ships is NOTHING like sailing a small sailboat.
2. Pay is good. The maritime academies typically are near the top in surveys of average graduate pay right out of school and after 10 years.
3. Women do well, assuming they adjust to the life. It's not easy.
4. I would not consider going the unlicensed route. Get a license and become an officer.
5. Look at the state academies - New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Texas, California. Easier to get into than Kings Point and a variety of programs, some in the cadet corp, others not.

You first posted almost 2 weeks ago and got lots of good info. No second post. Time to respond to let us know you are not a troll.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Tags
job , start , type , women , work

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in