SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   First Timers Looking for a Short Trip.. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/329440-first-timers-looking-short-trip.html)

RegisteredUser 04-30-2019 06:10 PM

Probably be a fun thing for all.
Real cruise experuence for them.
Cool

MarkofSeaLife 04-30-2019 07:09 PM

Re: First Timers Looking for a Short Trip..

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 2051599346)
The USCG issued their clarification on that around 1990. .

I'm not totally sure, but would the USCG have anything to do with the US? Because the OP was talking the Caribbean which mostly ain't the US :wink:grin:devil:2 boat:

capta 04-30-2019 08:02 PM

Obviously, I'm biased as a charter boat operator (not a sailing teacher, so please do not look at this post as seeking customers), but have you considered the quality of the educational experience between an experienced professional crew and what you might get for your money with amateur pleasure sailors? For instance, charter boats have a schedule to keep and must sail in any weather, not sit around some nice anchorage waiting for a weather window.
The difference might just be worth the 'ridiculous' cost of a chartered boat and crew.

Don0190 04-30-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051599374)
I'm not totally sure, but would the USCG have anything to do with the US? Because the OP was talking the Caribbean which mostly ain't the US :wink:grin:devil:2 boat:

I believe the answer is “ only if it was on a US boat”

Minnewaska 05-01-2019 07:04 AM

I'd have to look it up and I'm not interested in the research project. I'm willing to bet that it's legal for anyone to pay their own direct variable expenses aboard any vessel that is willing to take them along on a trip the vessel was making anyway. That's definitely the way private vs commercial aircraft work.

The sticky part is paying anything above those direct variable costs, which would be considered compensation. Your own food would not. Buying the skippers food or paying their bar tab would. Splitting the cost of fuel is a grey area, because the fuel would have been burned either way. It is permitted in aviation, no more than proportionately. If two aboard, "the passenger" can't pay more than half. The cost sharing does not have to be voluntary, it just can't be more than the passengers portion of variable costs.

In the end, the commercial licensing authorities (ie USCG) would not be my first concern. The insurance company would. They look for reasons not to pay. If the passenger is injured and makes a claim against a liability policy, you can bet the insurance company is going to get very particular about the terms on which they were aboard in the first place. If determined to be a commercial use, with a recreational policy, they will not cover. This could also be the case, if just the boat is damaged and it was only a hull claim.

Further, as a passenger, one might want to understand what insurance protection there might be. That, of course, is up to them. The Captain is liable for the safety of their crew, with or without insurance. The "passenger crew" may also be liable to the owner for any damage they cause.

Worst case scenarios are pretty unlikely to happen, just keep your eyes open.

capta 05-01-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 2051599394)
I believe the answer is “ only if it was on a US boat”

I can assure you that the USCG isn't interested in policing US boats outside US waters. They hardly patrol down here anymore for anti-drug operations, let alone stopping some US flagged cruising boat to see if it is chartering illegally.
Pretty much the only way the CG is going to get involved in an illegal charter situation is if there is an accident or if someone sets up a business as an unlicensed captain and is undercutting the local charter fleet.

Don0190 05-01-2019 08:28 AM

this is turning into such a crazy freakin fear discussion

You guys are basically saying you can't have friends/guests on your boat unless you pay all their expenses. You guys must have freeloading friends just lining up to come vacation on your boat where you pay for all the food and drink etc.

JimMcGee 05-01-2019 04:11 PM

If my buddy brings beer on board does that make me a charter captain? :grin

chef2sail 05-01-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 2051599542)
If my buddy brings beer on board does that make me a charter captain? :grin

Nope...makes you a fellow beer drinkers...lol

Stevo Rud 05-02-2019 04:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cody .... So its your lucky day.. check your email ..If you think you could do something or pull something off in next month or two I have a 44 foot Charter yacht . 09 Jeanneau sun Odyssey 44i 3 stateroom /3 head Charter model ....that I bought At the tail end of last summer been doing a re-fit and cosmetic. We’re getting ready in the next few weeks to beginning of next month To sail down to the Caribbean and then eventually to Costa Rica Cross the canal and make our way to the west coast for a charter operation partnership. The boat is two hours south of Baltimore .the Yacht can easilysleeps eight we only have three .You would have your own state room and bathroom as you come aboard and learn about boating in a very relaxed setting .. when we do leave we can stay in touch I can give you a rough itinerary when we’re going to be on the East Coast and through the Caribbean islands you could jump on jump off by a one-way ticket on the way back .I have a few friends that are planning on doing this while I go threw the Caribbean .When I’m closer to the date I can give you a rough timelineOf where we are approximate be and maybe meet up at the port of call.. As for the people on the boat we’re all in our 30s . So it will be a good group of people ...I’m divorced 32 yr contractor from upstate NY.

Been sailing for as long as I can remember.I don’t have a problem having newbies on the boat sailing is pretty simple it’s not rocket science.And especially on a 44 foot boat there’s plenty a room to spread out.And if anybody else is reading this shoot me a private message who knows I’m not up against having a full crew of like-minded travelers . as im a avid world traveler and A previous chef and bartenderAlways looking for adventures and good times.
Regards

Steve

QUOTE=Cody_Stl;2051598976]Hello!

My wife and I are seriously considering sailing as an early retirement, but we live no where near an ocean! We live in Missouri and already have our vacation planned for this year. BUT, we are really looking for some like minded individuals who are already sailing/cruising to take us out and show us the ropes (pun intended). As I understand it the Caribbean/Bahama cruising season is winter/outside hurricane season? If so, we would LOVE to find someone and make plans to go on a cruise with them aboard their vessel late this winter (preferably after the new year).

The cost of chartering a boat is just ridiculous, and though we plan on getting our first sailing class out of the way this summer hopefully, we would be nowhere near wanting to take a boat cruising on our own(experience wise). We are fast learners and eager to work, so we would quickly be able to help and do work on board to pull our weight!

We are NOT looking for a free ride by any means either! We would be willing and happy to pay for food, fuel, entertainment? Whatever takes the burden off and makes having company for a short while worth it. I'm sure these costs, along with our own transportation costs, would still be far below the cost of chartering a captained excursion+ provisioning, transportation, entertainment, etc.

We are looking to learn, though we won't burden you with questions if they are getting old! We are also just looking to see how we like/tolerate being on a boat for a significant period of time. We would be able to take off from work for probably a little over 2 weeks, so the excursion can't be too crazy long as we have to account for travel time. Someone based in Florida would be fantastic, allowing us to drive in, and drive back out further reducing our cost (and freeing our purse strings even more for fun and food for all on board) 🙂

We are only 7 short years from an empty nest and able to cast off our Missouri lines. I am 35, wife is 30 years of age. We are both in good physical condition. We both work in Public Safety, like meeting new people, easy to get along with (our job kind of requires it), we like movies/shows, boating(river jet boating currently), camping, hiking, dining, cooking, occasional theater productions, among many other things/interests! Oh, and I am a pretty mean cook, so I can cook for ya too!

So, will you help us to experience sailing and decide if this dream is for us? We hope you can! email me with any questions or to start making these grand plans!

Or if anyone can help us experience sailing/point is in a direction without the $4k+ price tag of just a bareboat charter...we would be greatly appreciative.

[email protected]

Cheers,

Cody & Jaime[/QUOTE]