First Timers Looking for a Short Trip.. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 Old 05-02-2019

Re: First Timers Looking for a Short Trip..

If Stevo’s offer doesn’t pan out for you, I’d suggest just doing your ASA courses. You’ll get a feel for sailing over multiple days and it will be enough for you to decide if you’d like to invest in a boat for continuing the adventure.

Being in Missouri, you could do as my wife and I did, and sign up for an ASA101,103 and even 104 in Pensacola FL. We found a sailing school with a captain that only does couples. He prefers teaching couples as opposed to larger shared classes. We spent 4 days sailing in FL with one on one instruction, for about half the cost of a charter boat.

The experience gave us the confidence and knowledge to proceed with buying a small used boat, which we did, and now sail out of the same Pensacola area. The benefit of this approach is that you’ll get a taste for sailing, proper instruction, and a pass a certification all at the same time. Nothing wrong with crewing, but if your serious then spending $2000 on proper instruction is nothing. We would love to cruise full time, however now we have the means to continue improving our skills, learning, getting experience, and do some “commuter cruising” for a few years before taking off around the world. Like a “crawl, walk, run” approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 Old 05-03-2019
bell ringer

Re: First Timers Looking for a Short Trip..

personally I think this thread was a troll as the OP hasn't responded in 3 days

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in