Halifax NS to Morehead City NC - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2019 Thread Starter

Halifax NS to Morehead City NC

Change of plans
Initially planning Halifax to Bermuda but with much regret have to submit to mother nature, this last tropical storm brewing in the Gulf just too close to the end of October and dangerously moving into November, so.

PLAN B

Sailing from Halifax to home base in Morehead City NC.
coastal to Norfolk and a short trek ICW to Morehead City except the weather looks good outside Cape Hatteras.
Is not a difficult trip if timed well with the weather, did it on my way up mostly
single-handed.
You will find info about myself and the boat if click on my name Davil prior postings since June
thanks
PS if volunteer will pay both ways transportation to and from the boat plus all costs while sailing, NO contributing to costs expected from the crew.
If paid crew applying will discuss,
thanks
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2019

Re: Halifax NS to Morehead City NC

Last fall got timed out for crew for Newport to Antigua. Went Newport to oriental and waited there until weather opened for trip to the islands. A totally suck trip. Miserable across NJ and even had to do the ditch for Norfolk to oriental. Cold, wet and miserable.
Wish you the best of luck. Have all synthetic clothes and warm. Two sets of gloves. Good boots.
Lots of warm easy to cook food.
Have done the same trip going north. Easy pleasy. Going with winds and waves. Warm in the sun. No need for engine.
Coming from NS would hug the coast. Although the straight shot is so much shorter and faster this time of year lows run through with regularity. Worth being able to hid and wait leaving just behind a low. May add a day or two but worth it.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
Davil (10-18-2019)
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2019 Thread Starter

He is right however does not have to be that way

Addendum

the crewing does not need to be for the entirety of the trip, can be broken in smaller legs that are convenient for you, just need and can use help in any way fits your schedule.
thanks

post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2019

Very smart. Do it in legs. Take your time. Lining up crew maybe a bit more difficult but they will have a better time as well.
We needed to meet crew in Norfolk. Did allow for weather days and used one in NY, part of another at cape May. Sounds like you’re not so restricted. If you only sail in good windows can be a great transit.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2019
WhatTheKell

Davil,

I'm new to this forum so I couldn't DM you,

I might be able to help you out. I've got a fair amount of larger lake experience and I'm easy to get along with, could meet the boat somewhere in Maine, NH, or Ma. Also, I worked as a professional cook for a lot of years.

DM me,

Jeff
post #6 of 7 Old 10-30-2019

If you are still in need, I would love to talk about the possibilities. I live in Maine and have multiple 4-6 days chunks of time available in November. Please email me at thg0724(at)gmail(dot)com. (Low post count prevents me for initiating PM through sailnet.)

Tim
post #7 of 7 Old 10-31-2019 Thread Starter

Hi Tim
thanks for the offer, made it to Cape Cod and plan to leave the boat here on the hard.
Have to be home for hip replacement and will not be using the boat for the next several months, might as well leave here here and return next season.
In any case, the weather this year has been difficult to plan anything, hope next is better.
take care
will talk
next season

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in