Covid 19 and Yacht Delivery - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By CaptTony

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-25-2020 Thread Starter
Davie J.

Cool Covid 19 and Yacht Delivery

Considering that the Covid 19 virus has basically "shut down" annual yacht migration, the season is becoming shorter and shorter. The safe window will close towards the middle of June. In the last two weeks, I have had numerous inquiries regarding ports in the US being open. And, if open, is a quarantine period required upon arrival? I have checked with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and found ports to be open with no quarantine required. As a 100 ton sail and power captain, I am once again offering my services to those who wish to have their boat delivered north and fly home. I have very experienced crew available and, along with my services, we will deliver your boat to its destination in as good or better shape than when we left with her. Respond to this thread and we will exchange more personal information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-25-2020

Re: Covid 19 and Yacht Delivery

I'm assuming you are talking to people in the Caribbean? How do you plan to get down there with ports and airlines closed? I suppose it may still be possible for the time being in US islands.

My question is just one of general interest in light of what I'm reading on the quarantine thread.

It's a tricky time for both sides of this transaction, and I wish everyone well.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 9 Old 03-25-2020 Thread Starter
Davie J.

Hey Mark,

Last week I had a potential delivery from St. Lucia. I checked with American Airlines and I could still get a ticket from Jacksonville, FL (my home) to Hewannorra International Airport. I don't know about all the airports in the Caribbean, but St. Lucia was still open. I don't know how to determine which are open and which are not but, if I get an inquiry from a potential customer, I will see if I can get a ticket to their location. With Trump indicating a potential end to the "lock down", I suspect the difficulties will soon be diminished. I hope this is the case.

Regards,
Dave

post #4 of 9 Old 03-25-2020

You also have to get from the airport to the boat, then get the boat fueled and provisioned. Sounds like a serious long shot in the present. No doubt there will be a mad rush in another month or so.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-26-2020
Banned

The borders down here are closed on every island, and nearly all islands are under restrictions regarding movement, all international flights are cancelled.

I think your only option for deliveries would be US documented boats located in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands if you can get a domestic flight and if the owners can first move the boat to Puerto Rico. No passenger ferries in operation here in Guadeloupe or inter islands in the US Virgin Islands from what I hear. Definitely none of the ferries going anywhere here in Guadeloupe. Haven’t heard a plane take off in days, and I’m only a mile or two from the international airport.

Last edited by Ken111; 03-26-2020 at 09:04 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-27-2020

Another thought that's going to linger in the mind of delivery crew, as well as owners. No one is going to want a crew member aboard that might have been infected, understanding that some don't ever display symptoms or they are delayed 11-12 days from infection. Finding out a few days offshore that someone is sick and has infected the remainder of the crew, in such tight quarters, would be terrifying.

Point being, I think many are going to want a real cool down period, of a couple of weeks, even after no new cases are identified. That is going to squeeze the deliver season and limit many interested crew.

No doubt, there will be some who are either brave or uninformed, impossible to distinguish. The question will be how many owners are willing to put their baby in the hands of, or even recruit extra crew that may get sick a week offshore. Median number of days to symptoms is 5.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-11-2020
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You also have to get from the airport to the boat, then get the boat fueled and provisioned.
Years ago when I did deliveries (quite a few to and from the Caribbean), I brought freeze dried food with me. Today, as a long distance hiker, I still bring them with me for meals. You can easily fill up a duffel bag with enough food to last you for 10 days or more.

Just a suggestion.
chef2sail likes this.

Capt Tony
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2020

Freeze dried is a good suggestion and I could manage fine myself. However, my wife never could. Food is a highly variable thing for people. Keeping the crew fed properly (according to their likes) is a known critical feature of good morale.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2020
Dirt Free

I have two open delivery contracts right now.
1. Lauderdale - Montreal
2. Savannah - Toronto

Oh well, ship happens

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in