$3000/mo cruising budget - Page 56 - SailNet Community
 319Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #551 of 628 Old 12-15-2015

Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

should mention slip rate nearly half than if done as transient.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #552 of 628 Old 01-22-2016

We left with a €3,000 budget, 1000 for us 4 (mainly food), 1000 for the boat, 1000 for the rest (phone, internet, car rentals, marinas etc.). We actually were bellow over the past 3 years, more likely to be bellow 3000USD, probably around 2000-2500USD, without really counting. Now, we hate crowd, hence almost no marina, no car rental, no restaurant (only a few very good ones from time to time), only seclude anchorage where there is no daily fee (no internet, no restaurant, no shop, no spending). We fish and we drink water from the watermaker (no need to carry heavy packs) or rum, but with small kids, you tend to limit the consumption and this does not hit the budget. In remote areas, people give us fruits, fish (when we don't catch anything) and there is actually nothing to spend our money on. We trade books, eBook, films. In the Grenadines or the San Blas, lobsters are cheaper than tomatoes (if you find any), and shopping is limited to Amazon or eBay, when you have decent internet, but you still have nowhere to ship to and you actually need nothing.
Then come the "unexpected", you need a new main, a new motor for the dinghy or something and the decision is always invest heavy or spend minimal to keep up and running, which could still remain in the original budget. And this is where it hurts, if you have reserves. If you don't have, then you don't spend. Simple.
smackdaddy likes this.

In Bora-Bora on a Lagoon 440, reaching the end of our 3-year voyage from Europe.
post #553 of 628 Old 03-31-2016

to op, or anyone contemplating going...if you can't make do with 3 g's per month?...perhaps you should consider not going...my budget will 28% less on a good old 36'r

post #554 of 628 Old 04-01-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdThaw View Post
to op, or anyone contemplating going...if you can't make do with 3 g's per month?...perhaps you should consider not going...my budget will 28% less on a good old 36'r
good for you, but so what!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #555 of 628 Old 04-01-2016
I can't re Member

Quote:
$2160 are you ****ting me? Nobody goes cruising on $2160! You'll need $2248 minimum or give up your dream. Now where's that sarcasm emoji....?

goat

PSC Orion 27
post #556 of 628 Old 04-01-2016

Dock

Quote:
perhaps you should consider not going...my budget will 28% less on a good old 36'r
I spose you are being stupid ... but I will give u the benefit of the doubt.
The difference between $2k and $3k per month isn't much: air trio home one per year, rentacar once per month for a day, and a better dinner out once per week. that will chew it up.

mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #557 of 628 Old 04-07-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Oh come on now. I see yachts every day that couldn't even operate a DAY on a pittance like 3 grand. Not EVERYONE'S dream is some tiny 50 foot blow boat without a crew of ten, all dressed in whites!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #558 of 628 Old 04-07-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Dam, I thought I was going to get the pretty girl crew on my budget

post #559 of 628 Old 04-07-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Dam, I thought I was going to get the pretty girl crew on my budget
With your boat and budget, all you're gonna get are the gold diggers. I know, it sucks being one of the 1%, right?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #560 of 628 Old 04-07-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
all you're gonna get are the gold diggers. I know, it sucks
One can only hope
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by Don L; 04-07-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in