Interesting little video - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 64 Old 08-10-2014

Re: Interesting little video

Nice video and an interesting story. You wonder how many people in their forties and fifties, getting more and more stressed out in their jobs, wish they could find a way to get off the gerbil wheel to live a life like this, at least for a while.

If I could go back in time, the one thing I would do for sure, would be to do something like this when I was young, with basically no responsibilities, and no worries.

My first cruise, in 1987, just two weeks to the Bahamas with some friends, made me want the lifestyle. Sadly, at 29, I was already working with a house, car, and student loan payments, and locked into the A-1 scenario lifestyle.

Plenty of time later for this guy to enter the grind of the rat race if that is what he wants. But, he seems to be enjoying the hell out of life. Not everybody can say the same. I know millionaires that don't seem half as happy as this guy.
mbianka likes this.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 Old 08-10-2014
Deep Blue Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Nice video and an interesting story. You wonder how many people in their forties and fifties, getting more and more stressed out in their jobs, wish they could find a way to get off the gerbil wheel to live a life like this, at least for a while.

If I could go back in time, the one thing I would do for sure, would be to do something like this when I was young, with basically no responsibilities, and no worries.

My first cruise, in 1987, just two weeks to the Bahamas with some friends, made me want the lifestyle. Sadly, at 29, I was already working with a house, car, and student loan payments, and locked into the A-1 scenario lifestyle.

Plenty of time later for this guy to enter the grind of the rat race if that is what he wants. But, he seems to be enjoying the hell out of life. Not everybody can say the same. I know millionaires that don't seem half as happy as this guy.
Its actually interesting to me to hear and understand why people decide to do this. What were the reasons, what drove them to do it. There are some pretty insightful answers and messages there from all sort of angles.
So many do it part time, sailing on weekends, etc, thats a hobby, I also intend to do it, but actually still working on the boat for a while, so its really not the same thing as this guy is doing it. I would still have a safety net, ie, I play it safe.
But to actually totally drop everything, and have your whole world on a boat with no fixed monthly income, and of course without the usual stresses that come with it, I don't know, it must be an incredible thing. It takes courage and a unique mindset to do this and I am sure its really hard sometimes.
ltgoshen, Group9 and Rapp like this.
post #23 of 64 Old 08-10-2014

Nice video. That will be me in about 4 years...only about 30 years older and on a bigger boat with refrigeration and a shower!
DHusk likes this.

post #24 of 64 Old 08-10-2014

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by paikea View Post
It takes courage and a unique mindset to do this and I am sure its really hard sometimes.
A most unique mindset.
And hard? Can't get a girlfriend and ostracized by part of the community? Yes thats bloody hard!

The videos excellence touches on those two points: "If people think I am a dirt-bag..." and lack of relationships is a delightful, tender way intermixed with beautiful 'enviable' lifestyle shots. But remember those 'enviable' moments, like thee scrubbing of the frying pan over the side ain't so enviable in real life. Or having worked hard all our lives to be able to, in retirement, cast off the lines only to be thought of as 'dirt bags'.

Good on him and lets hope his cruise goes well and he utterly enjoys it... but lets not take this video as a "What to Expect" 101 because its not, the video is a glorious piece of art depicting a unique person, thats all.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #25 of 64 Old 11-25-2014

one of my all time favs!!!
post #26 of 64 Old 11-25-2014

I missed this in Aug, very nice vid. Almost too nice for a guy that seems to be living as frugally as indicated. Nevertheless, it's a great forum escape.

I do think about how I would feel if my kids chose that lifestyle. A part of me would be very supportive of them pursuing a dream, being self sufficient, learning something outside the ordinary.

Perhaps my biggest concern would be for catastrophic medical care/insurance, which I assume none of the kids we see in these vids has. The odds are in their favor, but it's life and death, if they come up with the short straw. I had a niece die of ovarian cancer at 26 yrs old. It can happen.

Assuming they got off the train in time to begin to save for a retirement, then doing this young works. I know plenty of people work and stay ashore, but I'm thinking of these kids that just work odd job on their cruise to pay for food and diesel. Sooner or later, everyone will move back ashore, unless you die young.

Well done vid.
Rapp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 64 Old 11-25-2014
Half Man, Half Amazing

Pretty cool.
post #28 of 64 Old 11-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I missed this in Aug, very nice vid. Almost too nice for a guy that seems to be living as frugally as indicated. Nevertheless, it's a great forum escape.

I do think about how I would feel if my kids chose that lifestyle. A part of me would be very supportive of them pursuing a dream, being self sufficient, learning something outside the ordinary.

Perhaps my biggest concern would be for catastrophic medical care/insurance, which I assume none of the kids we see in these vids has. The odds are in their favor, but it's life and death, if they come up with the short straw. I had a niece die of ovarian cancer at 26 yrs old. It can happen.

Assuming they got off the train in time to begin to save for a retirement, then doing this young works. I know plenty of people work and stay ashore, but I'm thinking of these kids that just work odd job on their cruise to pay for food and diesel. Sooner or later, everyone will move back ashore, unless you die young.

Well done vid.
Agreed,I always dreamed of retiring early and was able to at the age of 48.I did it responsibly by working 2 jobs,saving my money and building up rental income.8 years later I can tell you it's not the picnic everyone thinks it is.Do I get bored ?YES.Especially in the winter.Do I want to go back to a job ? Absolutely not.It's a Catch 22,you enjoy the freedom,but filling 24 hours a day isn't always easy.Last winter was very harsh,it almost drove me crazy.I think it's the old grass looking greener on the other side effect and these days the stresses on people are much greater so it's easier to see greener grass.I've been lucky to see both sides and I'm glad I did.I think this young man is doing a good thing if he gets this out of his system and once he goes to a normal life he'll look back fondly,maybe unrealistically,on these days.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #29 of 64 Old 11-25-2014

I need to help him with his fish fillet skills

Great video, love his boat

Shawn

post #30 of 64 Old 11-25-2014
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp View Post
Agreed,I always dreamed of retiring early and was able to at the age of 48.I did it responsibly by working 2 jobs,saving my money and building up rental income.8 years later I can tell you it's not the picnic everyone thinks it is.Do I get bored ?YES.Especially in the winter.Do I want to go back to a job ? Absolutely not.It's a Catch 22,you enjoy the freedom,but filling 24 hours a day isn't always easy.Last winter was very harsh,it almost drove me crazy.I think it's the old grass looking greener on the other side effect and these days the stresses on people are much greater so it's easier to see greener grass.I've been lucky to see both sides and I'm glad I did.I think this young man is doing a good thing if he gets this out of his system and once he goes to a normal life he'll look back fondly,maybe unrealistically,on these days.
I hope to have your problems soon. I have 2 young kids, 2 jobs, and one of them is a business I am an owner of and am growing. I have NO trouble filling 24hrs.

How about volunteering? Low/no stress and you can get out and "work" as much or as little as you want. I also find that other folks who are volunteering tend to be in much better moods than co-workers are.

MedSailor
midnightsailor and ccriders like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in