Interesting little video - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 64 Old 11-26-2014

Re: Interesting little video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
(I added some spaces to improve your literacy)

You are spot on that its professionally made.

The team behind this are a bunch of up and coming, young-but-not-that-young filmmakers.

Kevin A Fraser has more than 25 pro credits as cinematographer and director, as does his co-producer, his editor and writer... in fact everyone one the film has about 25 credits. Lol

On the first view It looks like a professionally done shoot. But I didnt realise till I saw it again, today, just how professional it is. Using tripods on boats to hold a camera is difficult, but not only does this film, but it also uses special equipment to stabilise the camera.

Ok, so whats my point?
Professional filmmakers just made Hugh Jackman a nasty Blackbeard; they can make you laugh, cry, or scream in terror at their behest. This is a really nice bit of vision, really nicely edited and it pulls the emotional cords and chords its meant to. However its not reality. Its a bit of Hollywood with some straight out of central casting filmmakers cliches. So its best to look at it like that

By the way, there is one fantastic plot hole... And someone here even touched on it... T37Chef mentions it... "I need to help him with his fish fillet skills." .... If anyone has filleted more than 10 fish they do it better than in the film. What? This man cruising without money doesn't even catch his own fish? Has to BUY one from the market? Lol.

Its a lovely video to email to folks back home so they think its how you live... They might even send a few dollars as a Christmas present.
You articulated much better than I the message I was trying to get out.I would also like to add that health issues can and do happen.I was one of the healthiest people you ever met 30 years of work not one sick day.I went years without seeing a Dr.At the age of 53 straight lines became wavy when I looked at them.I was diagnosed with Wet Macular Degeneration.I need medicine injected into my eyes to avoid swift blindness,it's 2000 per shot,I've been given 2 shots in one day.No insurance = no eyesight.It's just some thing
else to consider before chucking at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 Old 11-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp View Post
What I've found interesting is that last year I was in the process of buying a class b RV and discovered a whole group of people living in them.They call it boondocking,the class b isn't much bigger than a conversion van so it can be parked on the street legally.A lot of them posted videos on youtube and while it isn't the life for me I can understand people doing it,Now with the amount of people looking into or living on boats added I'm wondering if there is a small but growing move to downsize and live more simplistically in these stressful times and if there are other ways people are trying to live.
There is also a "Little House" movement going on at least here in the states. Where people build small semi portable 200 or so square foot houses to live in. A friend from high school is wanting to get one. I told her if you really want to get serious to compact your life get a 30 foot sailboat instead.
captain jack and Rapp like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 64 Old 11-26-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp View Post
You articulated much better than I the message I was trying to get out.I would also like to add that health issues can and do happen.I was one of the healthiest people you ever met 30 years of work not one sick day.I went years without seeing a Dr.At the age of 53 straight lines became wavy when I looked at them.I was diagnosed with Wet Macular Degeneration.I need medicine injected into my eyes to avoid swift blindness,it's 2000 per shot,I've been given 2 shots in one day.No insurance = no eyesight.It's just some thing
else to consider before chucking at all.
Those injections are nothing to sneeze at dad has same thing rapp pm me I have info you may be able to use
Rapp likes this.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

The Following User Says Thank You to newhaul For This Useful Post:
Rapp (11-26-2014)

post #44 of 64 Old 11-26-2014

Courageous. Inspirational. Romantic, and a beautiful example of a man living his dream. But only if it happens on a sailboat.

Live like that on dry land and you're just a slacker.
post #45 of 64 Old 12-06-2014
mermaid

Send a message via Skype™ to RunningRabbit

I'm glad Mark pointed out it was professionally made by an experienced, up-and-coming filmmaker. I don't know why anyone watching it would think it was anything other than what it is: a short documentary about a guy on a sailboat. But you can't win for losing on these forums. If it's a well-made film up for some awards (as that one is), then it's clearly not a gritty selfie vid on a GoPro and gosh, how fake! If it is a gritty, unedited, crazed selfie video on a GoPro or iThingy, then everyone would be criticizing the camera angles and lack of editing. (Sigh). He's lucky that he's got cool filmmaker friends, but that doesn't make what he's doing any more or any less "cool," "enviable," or "noteworthy."

Don't cry a river about how lonely he is. He's got a chiseled bod, a great smile, and if you read his blog twentyeightfeet, a dreadlocked hippy girlfriend. I'm just hoping he's got a doppelganger out there who I can run into and buddy boat with, because I need a guy with his age, looks, and attitude, and I don't plan to settle for less.

Blogging my adventures aboard:
post #46 of 64 Old 12-06-2014

Dock

Great video, enjoyed it very much thanks for sharing!

Paul
s/v TENACITY - CS36T
post #47 of 64 Old 12-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
I'm glad Mark pointed out it was professionally made by an experienced, up-and-coming filmmaker. I don't know why anyone watching it would think it was anything other than what it is: a short documentary about a guy on a sailboat. But you can't win for losing on these forums. If it's a well-made film up for some awards (as that one is), then it's clearly not a gritty selfie vid on a GoPro and gosh, how fake! If it is a gritty, unedited, crazed selfie video on a GoPro or iThingy, then everyone would be criticizing the camera angles and lack of editing. (Sigh). He's lucky that he's got cool filmmaker friends, but that doesn't make what he's doing any more or any less "cool," "enviable," or "noteworthy."

Don't cry a river about how lonely he is. He's got a chiseled bod, a great smile, and if you read his blog twentyeightfeet, a dreadlocked hippy girlfriend. I'm just hoping he's got a doppelganger out there who I can run into and buddy boat with, because I need a guy with his age, looks, and attitude, and I don't plan to settle for less.
I made the point it was unrealistic if it was supposed to show the pros and CONS of living aboard,I saw a lot of pros and no cons,like maybe a breakdown or engine fail.I have nothing against him,I was just pointing out I felt it was deceptive as a video on a certain lifestyle.I'm glad he's not lonely and good luck finding someone just like him.
post #48 of 64 Old 12-07-2014

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post

He's got a chiseled bod, a great smile, and if you read his blog twentyeightfeet, a dreadlocked hippy girlfriend. I'm just hoping he's got a doppelganger out there who I can run into and buddy boat with, because I need a guy with his age, looks, and attitude, and I don't plan to settle for less.
Lets buddy boat together and while you look for him I'll keep lookiing for a hot bodded, lipstick sailor girl whose floating in cash and a great sense of restaurant.

MedSailor and captain jack like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #49 of 64 Old 12-07-2014
Deep Blue Crush

Darn it Mark! Only 1 out of 4, I have the cash, but I am not doing lipstick, the hot body, well, no matter what I say there I incriminate myself, and the restaurant? I am 98 % vegan.
And there goes my knight on the white sailboat! Oh well.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Deep Blue Crush
post #50 of 64 Old 12-07-2014
jzk

So what were the cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
This was in the Newsfeeds and I think many people have this blocked. It is worth eight minutes of your time.

The Pros and Cons of Living on a Sailboat in the Caribbean
The Atlantic
David Welsford doesn't pay rent or have a full time job. Instead, he lives on a 50-year-old wooden boat. A few years ago, he gave up the luxuries of land for life alone in the sea. "For me, what's more important than having a big house is having a ...

The Pros and Cons of Living on a Sailboat in the Caribbean - The Atlantic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in