generator a good idea? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 92 Old 09-16-2014
islander bahama 24

Re: generator a good idea?

Dave get the generator you will likely need it this winter we are supposed to have a bad one for the boat I recommend a solar panel like this 60W Monocrystalline Solar Panel | Renogy Store with no refer but this Mono Starter Kit 100w | Renogy Store with refe

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 Old 09-16-2014

If you have a diesel engine, would you really want to have to store gasoline on board?
post #13 of 92 Old 09-16-2014

The big question is "Do you need 110-volts AC? And, if so, why?" If you do not absolutely need 110-volts AC, there is no reason to have a Honda or any other brand of generator. However, if you have a heat pump on your boat, then that Honda will come in real handy on those hot, humid nights when anchored in the Bahamas or Florida Keys. AC, especially for me, is not a must at this point, but I'm getting a lot closer to needing it for medical reasons. My lungs are shot to Hell from asbestos, therefore, on those hot, humid nights the AC will lower the relative humidity and temperature, make the air more dense, and make my blood oxygen level increase by a few percent, which can be vital in my case.

Now, if you're a youngster, like Jon, then you can tolerate the heat and humidity.

Good luck,

Gary

post #14 of 92 Old 09-16-2014
islander bahama 24

Gary Dave is in the Puget sound in pnw more likely need heat than ac

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira

I'm in PNW area but a bit north and my heat is a bulkhead heater

post #16 of 92 Old 09-17-2014

Think about it this way, there are a thousand bareboats in the BVIs and none (nearly none) have generators and their crews are usually off the dock for a week at a time.

Unless you absolutely have a need for 110v power, making 12v isn't all that hard. As pointed out, you run the engine at a slightly increased RPM, in neutral, for about 90 mins per day and you should be all set. If you motored for that amount of time, you're already done.

That's assuming your house bank is sized properly to get you through at least the day, if not two or more. If you're willing to spend money on a genset, spend it first to be sure your house bank is big enough.

You're going to love waking up at anchor!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 92 Old 09-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi Cruisers,

It has been suggested by a few of my power boat buddies to just get one of those tiny Honda generators.
Dave
It's funny how when your only tool is a hammer, you think of every problem as a nail. Powerboaters always think the only choice is a generator.
Sailors largely go solar and wind generation first.

We have 80 watts of solar power aboard, soon to be 120 watts, no shorepower, and although we own a generator, have never had to use it on the Dock or on the hook- our generator is only used in the boatyard.
the solar was a lot cheaper than a generator, btw.
T37Chef, RickWestlake and Ajax_MD like this.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

post #18 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
smj

The worst thing you can do to your diesel primary propulsion engine is to use it to charge your batteries. The engine doesn't have enough load on it to reach optimum temperature and it will age your diesel quickly.
Solar and wind are great ways to keep the battery topped up but sometimes the sun don't shine and the wind don't blow, that's where the Honda generator comes into play. The Honda 2000 will run a 110v 100 amp battery charger. It will also heat enough water for two showers in about 15-20 minutes. Also great if you want to use power tools and it is pull start so if the batteries are dead no worries!
All this for $999.00 free shipping from Mayberrys. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for full time cruising it makes sense to me.
post #19 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Dave,

On our boat we have refrigeration, nav stuff, VHF, SSB, HAM radios, lights, computers and other items. We have a 300 Ah house battery bank. In 2000, I DID add solar power at a much higher cost than it is now.

We departed for full time cruising in 2004 and returned to the US in late 2008. This past year (AND the year before) we cruised full time for almost 6 months with one (1) 85 watt solar panel with no problems.

IN ALL THAT TIME we NEVER had, or needed a generator!

A small solar panel & controller would be FAR less $ than a generator and also not bugg your neighbors at anchor!

Greg
WOW DOUBLE WOW

Running a fridge on an 85 watt panel. Which fridge is it? I need one!
The Following User Says Thank You to TQA For This Useful Post:
miatapaul (09-18-2014)
post #20 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
Old soul

I bought a Yamaha 1000w generator 10+ years ago. It's been used on the boat maybe eight times to charge batteries, and seven of those times was when we took off and didn't realize our old Airx wind generator had packed it in. Used it on that trip.

Wind (Silentwind generator) and 100 watts solar keep us fairly well off. I'm adding another 100 or so watts.

The Yamaha is a nice safety blanket. It sits in my sail locker, and almost never gets used. If I had the spare $1000 I'd spend it on solar panels, not a new generator. Or but Delezynski's fridge! That's astounding.

Why go fast, when you can go slow

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in