generator a good idea? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 92 Old 09-17-2014

Re: generator a good idea?

Silentwind sounds good, most of the boats near me have the "Annoying Noise 24/7" models.
Minnewaska likes this.

"Just call me TB"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The worst thing you can do to your diesel primary propulsion engine is to use it to charge your batteries. The engine doesn't have enough load on it to reach optimum temperature and it will age your diesel quickly..
If that's the case then why did I get over ten years out of an engine in my over the road trucks which spend an average of 8 hrs a day ideling in the winter.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 92 Old 09-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFRENCHA View Post
Better safe than Sorry!
I have one Just for peace of mind ...Even with battery monitoring and solar panels...accident happens and draining a battery happens fast.

In my experience , not being able to start the engine can really ruin a nice cruise.

So mine is in a locker ...just in case ! and knowing that it is here helps me sleep better and fully enjoy the cruise

I carry a portable battery "Jump Starter" http://www.walmart.com/ip/13035281?w...422384&veh=sem just for this reason. That's on top of having a isolated start battery by way of a ACR SI-ACR Automatic Charging Relay - 12/24V DC 120A - Blue Sea Systems I have yet to need the start battery to start the engine, the house bank works fine. (HB = 2each 6V L16 Tojans for 430 ah)

No, I don't think you need a generator, that means carrying a can of gas, where do you store it, etc...plus like said, you have an engine already correct?

With 12V refrigeration, fans, lights, electronics, we can stay at anchor for about three days before needing to run the engine to recharge, which is only using about 215 ah or less, or 50% or less of battery capacity.

You would be better the add more battery at this point IMO

post #24 of 92 Old 09-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
If that's the case then why did I get over ten years out of an engine in my over the road trucks which spend an average of 8 hrs a day ideling in the winter.
I believe because they are often run through the RPM range thereby controlling or eliminating the glazing that can occur with a marine diesel in a sailboat. I regularly run my engine at full throttle under load for 5-10 minutes just for this reason.
post #25 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Outside of high latitude exploration, if you need a generator, it's because there's a flaw in your setup. It may be not enough generation, inadequate storage, bad monitoring, or bad efficiencies. Working with a generator and hauling/storing gas is not fun or desirable.

For us it's inadequate storage... We have 540 watts of solar but only a single 4D wet cell (200 amp hours). That's really not enough battery for a 50' boat with 6 people living on it. Sure enough, over the summer we had 3 overcast days in a row, so I borrowed a neighbor's Honda 2000 for a couple days. The only reason I needed the generator is because we ought to have 2 more 4Ds.

How did I let this happen? We have a mismatched system, but with a good battery monitor I kept a close eye on everything. And we charge the 3 iPads, 2 computers, etc. during the day. I also have my Advanced Fridge/Freezer Controller* that aggressiveley (but carefully) lowers the fridge and freezer temperatures during the day. With extra "pink" inslation inside, our fridge/freezer doesn't have to run at night! Between that and LED lighting, we get very little drain at night.

As an aside, I found that I could run my inverter to power the microwave off a single 4D batery when I turned the engine on. The alternators would actually take-up half of the 120 amp load, and a 4D can do 60 amps for the few minutes necessay. This last part is probably why I'll upgrade my battery bank next summer.

My advice? Put your money into LED lights, batteries and solar. Watch an iPad instead of a TV. Get AGM batteries that charge amazingly fast, for when you do motor.

Note: wind is useless unless you are in a windy anchorage. And the average daily wind speed data seems to be actually average daily peak wind speeds. They are nowhere near actual. The years I spent on wind were a noisy waste, when solar power could be easily had, and for less than $1 per watt.

For what it's worth, we have our panels resting right on the bimini and tied to the bimini support poles and to attachment points on the deck, to the dinghy davits, etc. I glued padding to the underside of the solar panels to prevent chafe. This setup significantly saved the cost of a special frame for the panels. Since we coastal cruise, this meets our needs in terms of storm survivability. You may need a more secure mounting depending on how you sail.

Regards,
Brad

*Built the Advanced Fridge Controller myself out of low-draw digital voltage and temperature sensor(s). True there was a steep, expensive learning curve, with too many hours spent on it, and if I sold them there wouldn't be enough demand to make up for it. Next is 12v hot water heating with extra solar power. But may never get to that project.
bljones likes this.

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 09-17-2014 at 05:43 PM.
post #26 of 92 Old 09-17-2014

TQA, somewhere I've seen refrigerator/freezers that draw less than 2 amps, which could easily be run by my 100-watt solar panel during the day. At night, well, the fridge draws the same power, and that power will be coming from your house batteries. My current refrigerator/freezer draws 5.7 to 6 amps, but I have 4 t-105 house batteries, at 225 ampere hours each, so during the day, even with the refrigerator on, my 100-watt solar panel is doing a bit better than break even, while at night, of course, those batteries are providing the entire boat's power. I've never had a time when I couldn't fire up the engines on the house batteries, even when sailing for several overcast days in a row.

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 09-17-2014 at 05:52 PM.
post #27 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
islander bahama 24

Here is an idea for wind that's small and cheap at less than a buck a watt affordable wind turbine and solar panel made in the USA

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 92 Old 09-17-2014
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Outside of high latitude exploration, if you need a generator, it's because there's a flaw in your setup. It may be not enough generation, inadequate storage, bad monitoring, or bad efficiencies. Working with a generator and hauling/storing gas is not fun or desirable.

For us it's inadequate storage... We have 540 watts of solar but only a single 4D wet cell (200 amp hours). That's really not enough battery for a 50' boat with 6 people living on it. Sure enough, over the summer we had 3 overcast days in a row, so I borrowed a neighbor's Honda 2000 for a couple days. The only reason I needed the generator is because we ought to have 2 more 4Ds.

How did I let this happen? We have a mismatched system, but with a good battery monitor I kept a close eye on everything. And we charge the 3 iPads, 2 computers, etc. during the day. I also have my Advanced Fridge/Freezer Controller* that aggressiveley (but carefully) lowers the fridge and freezer temperatures during the day. With extra "pink" inslation inside, our fridge/freezer doesn't have to run at night! Between that and LED lighting, we get very little drain at night.

As an aside, I found that I could run my inverter to power the microwave off a single 4D batery when I turned the engine on. The alternators would actually take-up half of the 120 amp load, and a 4D can do 60 amps for the few minutes necessay. This last part is probably why I'll upgrade my battery bank next summer.

My advice? Put your money into LED lights, batteries and solar. Watch an iPad instead of a TV. Get AGM batteries that charge amazingly fast, for when you do motor.

Note: wind is useless unless you are in a windy anchorage. And the average daily wind speed data seems to be actually average daily peak wind speeds. They are nowhere near actual. The years I spent on wind were a noisy waste, when solar power could be easily had, and for less than $1 per watt.

For what it's worth, we have our panels resting right on the bimini and tied to the bimini support poles and to attachment points on the deck, to the dinghy davits, etc. I glued padding to the underside of the solar panels to prevent chafe. This setup significantly saved the cost of a special frame for the panels. Since we coastal cruise, this meets our needs in terms of storm survivability. You may need a more secure mounting depending on how you sail.

Regards,
Brad

*Built the Advanced Fridge Controller myself out of low-draw digital voltage and temperature sensor(s). True there was a steep, expensive learning curve, with too many hours spent on it, and if I sold them there wouldn't be enough demand to make up for it. Next is 12v hot water heating with extra solar power. But may never get to that project.
I agree, if you can fit enough solar and a large enough battery bank solar is the way to go. My problem would be the "flaw in the setup" statement. Let's be honest, a Catalina 30 won't have the real estate or the load carrying capacity that a 50' Benetau has. This means less solar wattage and less amp hours of battery storage for the Catalina. Is this a flaw? No a fact of life. For a case like this the Honda generator would be a welcome addition.
Let's also not forget that he is located in the PNW where the sun doesn't always shine. Solar is great but not a guaranteed source of power.
Also for most people, they haul and store gas for their dinghy so an extra 5 gallon can for the Honda generator can't make for much of a hardship.
post #29 of 92 Old 09-18-2014
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
WOW DOUBLE WOW

Running a fridge on an 85 watt panel. Which fridge is it? I need one!
he is in Canada, a warm day is still colder than good beer should be served! How much refrigeration could he need?

The thing is if you can get by all year with solar just think of the advantage of not hooking up to shore power. Many marinas have dirty power so you could save in saved corrosion by never hooking up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #30 of 92 Old 09-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
.... if you can get by all year with solar just think of the advantage of not hooking up to shore power. ......
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Mita,

It's NOT "IF". We cruised full time, 24/7/365 for about 5 years down the west coast and in the HOT (Think 99+ air & 95+ water) Sea of Cortez with nothing but solar (NO WIND during the summer there) with not a lot of problems at up to about 2 + months of anchoring out at a time.

We used ALL of our gear (HAM/SSB/ chart plotter etc) with almost no running the engine other than motoring from point to point at times. We even made water with a water maker during motoring.

We NEVER HAD OR USED a generator and had no problems.

And by the way, we are a 27 foot boat!

Greg
aeventyr60 and christian.hess like this.

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

Youtube Virtual Reality page -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in