generator a good idea? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 92 Old 09-18-2014
islander bahama 24

Re: generator a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Hmmm.... 50+ responses, both (all?) viewpoints and recommendations... and the OP Dave E hasn't been seen. Where you at, Dave??
He's hopefully in the islands enjoying the last of the great weather
Faster likes this.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 92 Old 09-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
At 47 lbs the Honda is an excellent tool to have and helps make sure you will never be stuck with a dead battery.
A rudimentary battery monitor, the ability to isolate the house and starting banks, and a sailor who actually pays attention to the status of his system, can accomplish the same goal... For considerably less cost, and a weight measured in ounces, rather than pounds...

Damn, reading some of these endorsements, makes one more fully appreciate what an absolute Miracle it was that anyone ever survived more than a night or two away from a marina, prior to the advent of the Honda 2000EU...

:-))
xymotic, Minnewaska and Delezynski like this.
post #53 of 92 Old 09-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
It's funny how when your only tool is a hammer, you think of every problem as a nail. Powerboaters always think the only choice is a generator.
Sailors largely go solar and wind generation first.

We have 80 watts of solar power aboard, soon to be 120 watts, no shorepower, and although we own a generator, have never had to use it on the Dock or on the hook- our generator is only used in the boatyard.
the solar was a lot cheaper than a generator, btw.
You're right, but it's also a mistake. My boat's PO was big on Ham radio and spent a buttload of $$$ on solar wind and battery.

It never occurred to him to get a LED bulb.

This boat BLEEDS energy just in the tricolor and cabin lighting. Nowadays there's no reason to need so much power in the first place.
Bene505 likes this.

post #54 of 92 Old 09-19-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post

But once I head out full time I will double my solar AND have a generator. I don't need a bunch of forum naysayers to tell me otherwise as I know the pluses in happy living this will make.
Happy living for you maybe but not the folks around you...

Unfortunately this is the self centered, I have mine, I deserve it, I am entitled to it, now F U if the noise bothers you mentality that pervades the US today. Sorry but I find inconsiderate use of generators as offensive, and in the same league, as parking in a handicap spot. RUDE!

It's sad, really, really sad that the attitudes in the US have come to this but it is now more the norm than the occasional offender........

Maine used to be a lovely place to cruise and enjoy the solitude, peace, quiet and the sounds of seals, birds & wildlife. Now the self entitled must run portable generators, in a flat calm idyllic anchorage where the sound travels for miles, all to power their 40' plasma, or what ever other device they are "entitled" to use at the expense of everyone else. It is a real F U to the rest of the boating community who has figured out how not to be the offensive jerk blasting the genset at inappropriate hours...

All this because they won't take the time to learn how to properly manage their on-board consumption. Much easier to drop 1K, plug in & pull a cord, rather than do some actual basic math and install a system that can be self sufficient for their area, or heaven forbid actually cut back on consumption when the batteries are getting low. Managing consumption would be far too much for the "entitled"...

Don please understand this is not direct attack on you, I merely used your quote to point out the impact the growing use of these offensive pieces of gear are causing to others. Your quote just happened to sum up the mentality I hear from customers and boaters who insist on using these device to obliterate other boaters cruising experience.

Sadly this pervasive entitled attitude is growing and it is ruining the cruising experience in Maine and other once pristine areas where quiet, solitude and the respect of others around you were once valued. Sadly the folks doing the ruining of the solitude don't care because they fare clearly entitled to it..

We had a number of beautiful evenings ruined by gen sets this summer and it is getting really, really frustrating, and obnoxious. In one such anchorage the owner got a standing ovation from about 18 other boats when he finally turned the generator off. He flipped the bird to the anchorage and went below. It felt good to see the entire anchorage come together on the standing O but was utterly offensive to see the "entitled" reaction of the guy who RUINED the evening FOR EVERYONE ELSE...... Always seems to be 1 boat out of 10 or 20 who is the inconsiderate jerk.

Oh and to stay on topic, the OP does not need a generator for the described use, not even close...

Please folks step out of your "I, ME, MY, MINE" mentality for a few seconds and consider those you are sharing the anchorage with....

Rant off....

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-19-2014 at 08:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (09-19-2014)
post #55 of 92 Old 09-19-2014

Here's an irony.

I find the noise of a spinning wind generator to crawl under my skin about 1000x that of a running generator. I alwasy wonder, if it's driving me crazy from hundreds of feet away, how awful it must be aboard their boat. Then I always notice they are nowhere to be seen. Not saying a genset is okay in all circumstances either.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #56 of 92 Old 09-19-2014

Whilst there are SOME windgens which are loud, there are silent ones as well. Aerogen is one, and is a very good quality product

ALL engine-generators are audible, and all their exhausts are noisome, even if the engine-gen is fairly quiet.

I've gone through some trouble to ensure that I need as little power as possible. I've changed out all my lighting to LED. I don't have power-hungry devices, except the 'fridge, and between the solar and wind, it gets fed pretty well.

I'm just always surprised to see people at local anchorages who arrive, get on the hook, and then go inside to the A/C and TV. In that case, why go on the boat at all? What are you getting out of it? It's a lot cheaper, if you don't want to experience the outdoors, to just stay at home and forego the boat altogether, or at least stay at the marina.

And MaineSail is so very on-target with his assertions of US-denizen entitlement, thank you so much for saying. BTW as you come South, it's more than 1 in 10, let me tell you...
Faster and MikeOReilly like this.

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 09-19-2014 at 08:38 AM.
post #57 of 92 Old 09-19-2014
Old soul

Loud wind generators are just as annoying as fuel generators. Luckily it's not hard to find wind gens that are pretty quiet these days.

And I'd like to echo Main Sail's comments about the increasing self-centred attitude that pervades our culture here in NA (Canada is just as bad).

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Delezynski likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #58 of 92 Old 09-19-2014
smj

To me, the fumes of a diesel generator are much more obnoxious than the hum of the Honda 2000.
If it wasn't for humans, this would be a beautiful world.:-)
redfishnc and mbianka like this.
post #59 of 92 Old 09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Yea, but my point is that I think Solar is no longer just for cruisers. To me it seems ideal for those on a mooring, and even in a slip. ......SNIP......
Mita,

My bad, sorry, I read your post in a different way. I'm with YA! Solar IS the way to go. Especially now that the cost has dropped so far.

Greg
miatapaul likes this.

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

Youtube Virtual Reality page -
post #60 of 92 Old 09-19-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Hmmm.... 50+ responses, both (all?) viewpoints and recommendations... and the OP Dave E hasn't been seen. Where you at, Dave??
Wow! I haven't yet figured out how one sailor's questions can sometimes get the whole world answering and opining on a subject. When I logged in this morning and saw this thread was up to 62...

Thank you all very much for your insight. I can see EVERY angle from all of you. Your thoughts, experiences and advice have given the wife and I something to ponder over the winter. Our first cruising season here in the PNW was GREAT and we have a list of things we discovered we need, might need or want for the good ship. Radar being foremost on the list, then what to do about the house power at anchor. Alex and Faster - thanks for your insights (being PNW neighbors).

I'll spend the next several months researching and engineering the boat. Alex - good idea on winter cruising... empty marinas and reduced costs. Now if I can just convince the wife sailing on a sunny day here in the PNW in December just needs a better layer of clothing.

Dave

Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in