USCG Boarding Procedures - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 10-11-2014

Re: USCG Boarding Procedures

Coast Guard Boardings and Your Fourth Amendment Rights, Part 1 | Sailfeed

This is a pretty comprehensive look at the CG's rights to inspect you whenever they want.

Tankersteve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 10-11-2014

Have had two experiences of note.
Few weeks ago took two guys out for an overnight just to get them up to speed for R.I. to VA trip. Dropped the hook to sleep. Leaving harbor next morning on cold, windy day with some drizzle CG large RIB was coming in. After a few minutes they turned around and came along side asking to board. They first asked who was captain. I identified myself and asked they stand off until we could drop sails and run out of channel on engine ( just had main up in prep to go sailing). They said no they would come along side and jump on which they did. Having gone through this before asked to go below and get papers. Told no they would come down with me. Had had voluntary inspection some weeks before so asked to show them. They asked to repeat which they did. They seemed unfamiliar with routine looking at small book repeatedly so ended up walking them through it. Event took 1/2h to 45m. I wanted to get going as weather predicted to severely deteriorate in afternoon and wanted to be back in homeport slip by then. Only after repeatedly asking to move along did they complete inspection and leave. Seemed they were using me as a training exercise as other 2 CGs that boarded where even less prepared. I and my crew were exceedingly polite as I know everyone must learn at some point and I have great respect for the CG and their SAR/interdiction work. Still it annoyed me that they choose that moment for a training exercise that could of place my vessel at risk should have the weather front moved quicker.
Other occasion was coming back from Marion to Bermuda race after going through canal and approaching Plymouth, MA my home port at the time. Had Cutter call. Asked they not approach but board with inflatable as glass does poorly against steel. Told OK but all souls aboard need to be in cockpit. Woke up 2 crew and they dressed so we could comply. They circled us with weapons aimed at us. Then three came on board. Two stood on side decks with weapons pointed at us while third with drawn weapon went below. No words were exchanged except "be quiet and still". After search the usual review of documents and passports occurred. Again other then request for documents no words exchanged. I asked what they were looking for and should we keep an eye out for anything. Told "be quiet not your concern" and they left. Very disconcerting as through out whole event cutter was just off my vessel with evidence to suggest weapons pointed at us from there and weapons were pointed at us by CG on boats throughout entire event by CG on my boat. I understand they may have been responding to a piece of intelligence and didn't want to share. I don't understand once they were aware we where all harmless U.S. citizens why weapons weren't stood down and a more relaxed attitude taken.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #23 of 28 Old 10-11-2014
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have had two experiences of note.
Few weeks ago took two guys out for an overnight just to get them up to speed for R.I. to VA trip. Dropped the hook to sleep. Leaving harbor next morning on cold, windy day with some drizzle CG large RIB was coming in. After a few minutes they turned around and came along side asking to board. They first asked who was captain. I identified myself and asked they stand off until we could drop sails and run out of channel on engine ( just had main up in prep to go sailing). They said no they would come along side and jump on which they did. Having gone through this before asked to go below and get papers. Told no they would come down with me. Had had voluntary inspection some weeks before so asked to show them. They asked to repeat which they did. They seemed unfamiliar with routine looking at small book repeatedly so ended up walking them through it. Event took 1/2h to 45m. I wanted to get going as weather predicted to severely deteriorate in afternoon and wanted to be back in homeport slip by then. Only after repeatedly asking to move along did they complete inspection and leave. Seemed they were using me as a training exercise as other 2 CGs that boarded where even less prepared. I and my crew were exceedingly polite as I know everyone must learn at some point and I have great respect for the CG and their SAR/interdiction work. Still it annoyed me that they choose that moment for a training exercise that could of place my vessel at risk should have the weather front moved quicker.
Other occasion was coming back from Marion to Bermuda race after going through canal and approaching Plymouth, MA my home port at the time. Had Cutter call. Asked they not approach but board with inflatable as glass does poorly against steel. Told OK but all souls aboard need to be in cockpit. Woke up 2 crew and they dressed so we could comply. They circled us with weapons aimed at us. Then three came on board. Two stood on side decks with weapons pointed at us while third with drawn weapon went below. No words were exchanged except "be quiet and still". After search the usual review of documents and passports occurred. Again other then request for documents no words exchanged. I asked what they were looking for and should we keep an eye out for anything. Told "be quiet not your concern" and they left. Very disconcerting as through out whole event cutter was just off my vessel with evidence to suggest weapons pointed at us from there and weapons were pointed at us by CG on boats throughout entire event by CG on my boat. I understand they may have been responding to a piece of intelligence and didn't want to share. I don't understand once they were aware we where all harmless U.S. citizens why weapons weren't stood down and a more relaxed attitude taken.
Good for you. I would have responded very poorly in that situation. There is no need for a US govt. official to point firearms at US citizens in any 'routine' stop.

I may have made it my full time job to insure that they lost their full time jobs.

post #24 of 28 Old 10-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Rights ...

You have no rights. You have a list of temporary privileges. The 'powers that be' continue to pare that list down daily.
Lord, this again...

In the entire history of the United States you have never had the right to travel over the water without being searched by the Coast Guard. This isn't some new thing... The USCG gets it's boarding authority from the Revenue Service Act of 1790 as amended and re adopted. The 4th ammendment wasn't enacted until 1791. So quite litterly you have never has a 4th ammendment right to not be stopped by the Coast Guard, since from the countries inception the USCG (prior the Revenue Cutter Service) has had the authority to stop all vessels in US waters and search and inspect them.

If you want to start arguing about the diminish net of rights, fine. But at least start the argument over a right that you have ever had.

Greg
post #25 of 28 Old 10-11-2014

Don't think it was a routine stop. Think they had a tip and thought the stop might result in a firefight. They were clearly hyper alert.
Think folks don't realize how stressful and dangerous their job is. Just think like with some cops some are great some let the power get to their head.
Know all the stuff we go through at the airport but think ours coasts are the big exposure. In our early history ( before the Brits burned Washington) invasion by sea was the major concern and our laws reflect that history.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #26 of 28 Old 10-11-2014

Quote:
Rights ...

You have no rights. You have a list of temporary privileges. The 'powers that be' continue to pare that list down daily.
Please take your rants to PWRG. This has been a very helpful thread and I don't want it to get shut down.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #27 of 28 Old 10-11-2014
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Please take your rants to PWRG. This has been a very helpful thread and I don't want it to get shut down.
Sorry. I respond to posts where I find them. I'd hate to blow out your thread
post #28 of 28 Old 10-11-2014
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Sorry. I respond to posts where I find them. I'd hate to blow out your thread
Then don't.

Political posts have been deleted. Any more of that and further posts will be deleted while holidays beckon.

I know I know .... megalomaniac foreigner, jumped up convict, hater of all things true just and American. Save your keyboard, I've heard it all before. Simple fact is that cleaning up a thread when it goes off the rails is irksome to say the least and my patience is but a thin veneer at the best of times.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdw For This Useful Post:
TakeFive (10-11-2014)

Tags
boarding , coast guard , inspection , uscg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in