Need suggestions for a wheelchair accessible catamaran - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-11-2014 Thread Starter

Need suggestions for a wheelchair accessible catamaran

Hello everyone. My brother has multiple sclerosis, and is confined to a wheelchair. We are both avid sailors. He has been sailing a Martin 16 in Toronto, but we want to look into a catamaran which could be made wheelchair accessible. We would need a catamaran with a fairly large salon, and where the outside deck, cockpit and saloon are all at the same level. We are not concerned about making the hulls accessible, unless we design and build something for disabled access.

I have seen photos of a CSK 53' cruising catamaran, that appears to have deck, cockpit and saloon on the same level, i.e. no ramps required to get around on the boat. Has anyone seen this boat? Are there other boats that I should look at that meet our requirements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-11-2014

Re: Need suggestions for a wheelchair accessible catamaran

Last month I was on a Leopard 48 on which the cockpit and salon were on the same level. The side decks had steps, but that would be pretty much the norm. There is a forward cockpit that is accessible from the salon.

The issue is the head - almost all are in one of the hulls.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #3 of 14 Old 10-11-2014

Having hosted many disabled sailors on cats...

* Boarding ramp. With variations in dock heights, this can be very tricky. I wonder if replacing the dingy davits with something hydraulic might kill 2 birds.

* I'd build a head into the salon. Solving the transfer problem may be tricky.

* The forward cockpit idea seems brilliant. I wonder if an Atlantic 48 with a cut-down rig and serious customizing might be good. Perhaps the most one-level design I know of. I think cabin access from the salon might even be custimizable.

* I wonder if power steering makes sense. Wheel locks at one station inplace of a seat.

* I wonder if a boat-specific chair could solve some fit problems; cheaper to customise the chair than the boat. Toss the lubber rulebook and imagine all possible improvements.

* Improved convertable berth in the salon, or course. A real bed.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

post #4 of 14 Old 10-11-2014 Thread Starter

We know we are going to have to build a full bathroom on the upper deck, no matter what boat we get. I would prefer not to have the seating formed into the fiberglass, but thanks for the tip.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-12-2014

^^ By "boat specific chair" I meant that perhaps customizing a wheel chair to the boat (narrow, slightly smaller wheels, different steering, other) perhaps it would fit better on the boat. Building a custom chair is going to be cheap and easy compared to some boat mods. No, I did not mean molded-in seating. In fact, eliminating built-in stuff frees up space.

Generally substantial door sills are good practice on a boat; waves are always a possibility and rain is a certainty. We've solved this in houses both with mini-ramps that fit over the sill (OK) and by building elevated false floors, like a very thick cockpit grating with high volume drainage under (much better). On a boat, the latter would improve seated visibility at the same stroke.

post #6 of 14 Old 10-12-2014

You might try reaching out to the folks at CRAB http://www.crabsailing.org for suggestions.
"Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating (CRAB) is dedicated to making the thrill of sailing a reality for physically and developmentally disabled individuals."

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 14 Old 10-12-2014
Mermaid Hunter

CRAB was going to be my suggestion also. Lots of experience there on what works and what does not.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #8 of 14 Old 10-12-2014

Look at day charter designs--Kurt Huges, for example. They lack the pollish and bells, but they are very open and may have far more one-level utility than cruising designs, since they are designed to carry a large load of passengers with easy movement. They have wide side decks and would be easily customized. I've been on some of the Hawaii charter fleet, and remmember seeing a wheel chair on one.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-15-2014
Senior Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I wonder if an Atlantic 48 with a cut-down rig and serious customizing might be good.
Chris White boats have a step down Saloon which would be a challenge to ramp over. Here's a 55 that you can see this clearly

http://www.catamaransite.com/Atlanti..._for_sale.html

Why wouldn't a FP Mahe work? At 36' it would be easy to handle and the way the saloon area is laid out, a head could be added.

There are a couple for sale here

http://www.catamaransite.com/catamarans_for_sale.html

Tropic Cat

post #10 of 14 Old 11-05-2014

I saw this cat while we were in Jarrett Bay NC. It has a lift on one hull side of the salon as well as many other access devices. The owner was paralyzed from a gunshot. I believe they also do charters. Here is a link to an article with names etc.
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/3...ause-of-irene/

Tags
accessible , catamaran , disabled , wheelchair

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in