Boat slip/mooring CT River - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-2014 Thread Starter

Boat slip/mooring CT River

Hello. Trying to see if anyone knows Lower Connecticut river area and marinas for me to ask you more about their prices, availability and good location and how it would work for me to keep my boat there. I tow my 26 ft power boat and use boat ramps for boating on CT river and Long Island sound. Now I'm looking for a larger 32-36 ft power boat to buy before the next season and want to keep it at the marina. I know nothing about marinas and how they operate. I'm new to boating world. Want to know their prices for slips or mooring and see what I can afford. Not really understand their prices on their web pages when they show what I should pay.

Thank you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-2014

Re: Boat slip/mooring CT River

The two marinas closest to the mouth of the River that I know of are Harbor One and Saybrook Point Marina. Judging by their transient rates, location and amenities, I wouldn't expect them to be bargains. But give them a call, check their websites and see if they fit your needs.

Saybrook Point has great showers, laundry, on-site restaurant and tiki bar.
They have grills and tables on land for use by slip holders. Easy in and out to the sound.
Last time I stayed there Abby was the Dockmaster. There's a Hotel and Spa onsite too.

Give them a call. Good luck with your purchase.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-20-2014
Captain Obvious

I am looking for the same thing; a place to keep my boat on the Ct. river next summer. I really do not want to pay over $100/ft. or about $2200for the season. I am familiar with Norwalk too and I like it there. Again, I am afraid the price will be too high.

Any Ct. sailors with info?

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #4 of 13 Old 11-20-2014

Dock

I stayed at Saybrook Point once. Beautiful and convenient facility, but quite expensive for transients, I would expect the same for seasonal users.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-20-2014

Give Mark Reyher, harbormaster at Deep River on Ct Rver a call. 203-676-5909
Deep River is about 8 miles up from sound, few miles above Essex.
He only has moorings and believe non residents not a problem, ask him
about other options and costs at marinas on river.
There is a Brewers at Deep River also, although not inexpensive.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-20-2014

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I am looking for the same thing; a place to keep my boat on the Ct. river next summer. I really do not want to pay over $100/ft. or about $2200for the season. I am familiar with Norwalk too and I like it there. Again, I am afraid the price will be too high.

Any Ct. sailors with info?
Norwalk will be rather expensive, especially since the closure of Yacht Haven West. I would certainly expect over $100/ft. for a slip. In general, you can get better prices as you move east, so the CT river should not be too bad.

S/V Argyle
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2014

Check activecaptain.com for a complete list of marinas complete with lists of services and reviews from fellow boaters. Very useful resource
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2014

Hi Victor,

Welcome aboard Sailnet - even with your powerboat!

+ 1 for Green Eyes Active Captain recommendation. You won't find seasonal rates in there, but most of the marinas have helpful reviews.

I think you will find that prices for slips in the lower CT River are uniformly over $100 per foot for the season. I keep my boat at Island Cove Marina in the Ferry Point area and have been paying $135./ft. for a slip. Moorings rentals at Ferry Point through Island Cove are a relative bargain - about $1,500. plus tax for the season. They are a little rolly, but I enjoyed many years on a mooring out there. There are more protected mooring fields behind Calves Island (call Old Lyme Marina), in Old Saybrook's North Cove and up in Deep River as Hugo mentioned. If you are young enough to survive the decade long wait list, you can add your name to the Old Saybrook North Cove mooring list. I'm hoping to get to the top of the list in 4 or 5 years.

Part of the reason for the long waiting list in North Cove is the fact that it is below the railroad draw bridge, so any potential wait time is eliminated to get to the mouth of the river. Saybrook Point Marina and Harbor One that Tempest mentioned also share this advantage. My personal opinion is this that if I can't wait 15 minutes occasionally for the bridge to open, I have no business being in a sailboat!

I have no connection with Island Cove other than being a very satisfied customer.
sirtang likes this.

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to billsull For This Useful Post:
sirtang (03-15-2015)
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2014 Thread Starter

A lot of great information already guys ! I'll be making phone calls soon to get some rates. I don't mind to travel even longer to Long Island sound. Any marina between Middletown CT and the mouth of the rever with low rates would work great for me. What about moorings, how do I get to my boat if I chose mooring? Do I have to bring my dingy every time ? Is it safe from thiefs on CT river to leave the boat for a week at the time?
Thank You every one.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-20-2014

If you don't mind the transit time on the river, then there are some very nice marinas both above and below Middletown that you should investigate. This is where ActiveCaptain will be your best friend.

Midway marina in Haddam, CT is known for good winter storage rates, not sure about their summer rates. It's a real "boatyard", with an emphasis on repair services over fancy landscaping and pools. There are other marinas in the area that have those amenities.

With respect to mooring access and security, at my marina, the mooring rental includes in-water or land-based rack storage for your dinghy, whichever you prefer. I'm sure any other facility that rents moorings would provide space also. Some of the towns on the river will, for a fee, issue you a mooring permit, which allows you to place your own mooring subject to their guidelines for size and location. In that case, you may have to rely on the town's public access to launch and retrieve your dinghy. When I first moved to Saybrook, I used this method. After the harbormaster inspected my gear, I paid someone to place my mooring in the Ferry Point mooring field. After a few attempts to row the 1/2 mile from the public ramp to my mooring against a full moon tidal current in the river, I hustled over to the marina that was a predecessor to Island Cove and negotiated a deal for parking and dinghy storage for the season. It was a much easier trip coming out of the Ferry Point inlet and rowing across the current out to the mooring.

Security has not been an issue in recent years, but that's only because the caught the last knucklehead that was sneaking around at night raiding boats in the Essex/Old Saybrook area. It's always a risk, but frankly, someone with bad intentions would have an even easier time getting on my boat at the dock in the middle of the night when no one is around. Putting a security cam on the boat is on my to do list, but it's way down on the list!
Sal Paradise likes this.

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in