Snow birding - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 12-27-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Snow birding

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Got here with SDR and inspite of smacks opinion can't say enough good things about it. Interestingly, when you do,spreadsheets and add in all the costs the money is about the same for leaving v. straight shot home. Hopping up is most expensive but probably most fun. Been to Nanny Cay and Spanish Town. Will bop over to Tyrell. Thanks much for the info.
Been thinking about lay up. It's not like up here where you can empty the boat- fill the trunk- then just put all the stuff in your house. Wondering how much stuff will disappear in my absence. Maybe rent locked storage?
People's opinions are worth what they are worth.

The SDR has been an outstanding experience for many people.

If I remember correctly Nanny Cay has some pits your keel is dropped into and serious tie-downs. I may be thinking of somewhere else.

The good marinas in the Caribbean aren't a security problem. The bigger issues are mold, mildew, and rust (including of canned goods). There are locked storage options in most places. Unless A/C is guaranteed, you still have to worry about conditions that lead to mold, mildew, and rust.

Three or four weeks isn't bad. Longer can be a problem. One of the advantages of places like Nanny Cay on Tortola and Powerboats on Trinidad is that you can often sell on your stores and then replace them when you get back to your boat.

I can help you for sure in Trini, and likely in Tortola.

For myself, I'd sail straight back to Newport (first choice) or the SDR and then Newport (second choice).

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 12-27-2014 Thread Starter

Yes I want to be back in warmer climes come next fall. My thinking maybe distorted by the November passage south. I've yet to experience the terrible passages people report and hopefully never will. Other than light, brief squalls in the 40kt range it was uneventful annoyance was burning 106 galleons of fuel and continual overcast. Also how hard it is and how expensive to get boat work done in caribbean enters in to it. Still conflicted but your input is greatly appreciated.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #13 of 17 Old 12-27-2014 Thread Starter

Dave your points are very well taken. I spec'd the boat with no exterior wood thinking less maintenance. Find chasing the stainless is never ending. Whenever plugged in the AC will go on for a few hours every day. Like you say not to escape the heat but to dry out the boat.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 17 Old 12-27-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I agree with the idea that it depends on what you have in mind for next winter. If you want to have the boat in the Caribbean I would think Grenada or Trinidad. if you want the boat home then go for it. Our plan is to provision in Sint Maarten. Make short visits to Statia and Saba and then go to Bermuda and Connecticut. We will leave about the end of April.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-27-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Your point about getting work done is well taken. You will want someone (you or someone else) that you trust to look after things. I can speak personally and highly of Jesse James in Trinidad. If you decide to go to Trini please let me make the introductions for you.

Without pushing my own services, if you want to leave the boat in the mid Chesapeake I can look after you.

If you take it all the way home you can look out for yourself, which is attractive.

A lot depends on what boat work you have in mind.

If you'd like to talk on the phone we can schedule a time to run through things.

Mods: I won't charge Outbound for the call and won't push my services over anyone else's.

Regardless, I believe firmly in sailing your boat as much as you can. To me, that means the Chesapeake (new cruising grounds for you I believe) or your home grounds in RI. Keeping the boat moving really keeps contractors on their toes, your boat clean, and increases the chances of everything being ready when you want to push off.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #16 of 17 Old 12-27-2014 Thread Starter

A - what you say makes great sense. I've come home for the holidays. Although I have yacht management I'm not in the " I'll just write a check" crowd. I dread the work ( polishing, diving the bottom, re provisioning etc.) I'll have upon my return.
In many respects being on the boat and using it makes for less work. My routine has been do one major chore first thing after coffee if the boat is still or a few minor chores after anchoring/ mooring when we are moving. If you stay ahead of it it seems like much less work and I believe it really is less work.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #17 of 17 Old 12-28-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

If cost is a factor Trini is the place to get work done. I had mine Awlgripped there for a 1/4 of the price I was quoted up island. There are all sorts of workshops in Chaguramus and they can fix just about anything.

Lots of snowbirds keep their boats there and the big yards [ Peakes and Powerboats ] are very professional.
outbound likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in