Snow birding - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-26-2014 Thread Starter

Snow birding

Need advice and hoping those who have been there done that chime in.
At present boat is in BVI. Wondering if for hurricane season I should
Leave boat on hard in Spanish Town or P.R.
Island hop home (R.I.) then up eastern seaboard
Straight shot home with SDR via Hampton or straight shot to Newport.
Please share plus/minus analysis of each choice.
Thanks and happy new year to all.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-26-2014

Re: Snow birding

Unless you have another boat in RI, why would leaving it down south for the summer even be an option?

I've not done it, but I've known several who have made the straight shot, with Bermuda as the bail out or planned layover. Most plan to stop, unless the first leg goes very quickly and the forecast for the remainder looks too good to pass up.

Island hopping back is on my bucket list, but it would take an extraordinary amout if time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-26-2014

Our friends who have now 'snowbirded' for a decade or more leave their boat further south in Carriacou, and many use Grenada, both being south of the standard Hurricane zone.

If you are OK with leaving the boat south, perhaps that's the better plan, plenty of time still to work your way down the chain - with some exceptional sailing and destinations along the way.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 17 Old 12-26-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks guys-
Grenada makes me nervous as we all know its not really hurricane free. I have no knowledge of what yards are good Carriacou. Do you have any thoughts on access to that info?
Was thinking jump to chicken harbor ( George Town). Then jump to Lauderdale. Then Norfolk. Then home. Was figuring each jump ~4d so whole trip ~16-20d. Whereas straight shot 9-12d. Was thinking maybe easier to get crew through OPO with shorter hops and easy access to airports. If done in May weather should be more benign. If get lousy crew only have to put up with them for brief time.
The straight shot is very appealing. "Get her done". Shortest time and may actually be less wear on the boat. Also then have access to Chris Parker for short money.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 17 Old 12-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
....Was figuring each jump ~4d so whole trip ~16-20d. Whereas straight shot 9-12d. ......
Straight through time sounds right. Hopping time seems optimistic. At the least, that would be single overnights, which would be unlikely. Even when coastal hopping, I find I don't want to run right back out, if the previous leg was rough. Also, if you're hopping, why not stay to enjoy the locales for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-26-2014

Quote:
Thanks guys-
Grenada makes me nervous as we all know its not really hurricane free. I have no knowledge of what yards are good Carriacou. Do you have any thoughts on access to that info?
Our friends use the yard in Tyrell Bay. Always a bit 'rough' but they look after the boats. Recently changed hands, and apparently the service is as good and the yard is much improved. Popular, though, and may be booked up. The boat is a Bene 36.7 and she survived a wayward hurricane unscathed there some years back - she was well braced, strapped down (with mast still up). The yard was in regular communication with them here in BC throughout the event.

Anyhow sounds like you're leaning towards bringing her back...
outbound likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-26-2014 at 12:35 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-26-2014

One of my buddies has left his boat on hard in the pits in Spanish Town on Gorda. I understand that this supposed to survive hurricanes. I cannot speak for if this works when the worst happens or not.

Theres a picture on their web site

Storage
post #8 of 17 Old 12-26-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Need advice and hoping those who have been there done that chime in.
At present boat is in BVI. Wondering if for hurricane season I should
Leave boat on hard in Spanish Town or P.R.
Island hop home (R.I.) then up eastern seaboard
Straight shot home with SDR via Hampton or straight shot to Newport.
Please share plus/minus analysis of each choice.
Thanks and happy new year to all.
Doesn't Nanny Cay still have good accommodations for hurricane season on the hard?

It seems to me there are two bits: logical and emotional.

The logical bit is a cost analysis of haul and launch fees, insurance, someone to look after the boat, cost of moving the boat yourself, with others, or delivered, etc. Check for buying a spot for a haul-out in case a named storm heads for the BVI.

Consider Trinidad (I have the best ever guy to look out for you down there).

The emotional bit is where you want the boat June(ish) to November(ish) 2015.

Hopping home only makes sense if you have lots of time and particularly want to hop from island to island. You'll spend more on fuel, food, and time getting in and out of various ports and anchorages.

Straight shot is the best and fastest and most efficient way to move a boat. It is easiest to get supplemental crew. Besides, you get to be offshore for a week-and-a-half or so. What could be better than that? *grin*

The SDR has nice pre- and post-events and the value add of Chris Parker weather is quite good. Doing the SDR to Hampton and then on to Newport through the Chesapeake Bay, C&D Canal, and Delaware Bay will cost you less than two days, plus whatever time you spend in events in Hampton (a lovely town if you haven't been there before).
outbound likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 12-26-2014 at 03:57 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-26-2014 Thread Starter

Got here with SDR and inspite of smacks opinion can't say enough good things about it. Interestingly, when you do,spreadsheets and add in all the costs the money is about the same for leaving v. straight shot home. Hopping up is most expensive but probably most fun. Been to Nanny Cay and Spanish Town. Will bop over to Tyrell. Thanks much for the info.
Been thinking about lay up. It's not like up here where you can empty the boat- fill the trunk- then just put all the stuff in your house. Wondering how much stuff will disappear in my absence. Maybe rent locked storage?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 17 Old 12-27-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

My decision would be based on where do you want the boat to be after hurricane season. If you want to be back out in the Eastern Carib it is a hard slog down the BVI from the East coast of the USA.

So leave it out in the Eastern Carib. A yard that is at least 15 ft above sea level and with tie downs should be safe. mast down of course.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in