looking for advice on sailing north FL to MA - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2014 Thread Starter

looking for advice on sailing north FL to MA

i am sailing a 25 ft 1969 coranado fin keel with a 3.6 draft and a 9.9 johnston outboard 2 stroke. im looking to leave fernandina beach , florida in or around april 2015 to the inside of the hook of massachusetts. any advice for a beginer sailor?
i know i have to go on the inside at cape hatteras.
- is there any other places i should go around or avoid?
- some people say i cant do it in my little boat with my little engine?
- what is your opinion on the sailboat i am taking?
i will have a portable vhf, and a portable garmin gps. i have the icw flip book chart, and good ground tackle. sails are in good condition. not much of an electrical system. i have a depth finder and a compass, but i dont use much else than that. i want to sail outside as much as possible and was just planning each passage by the weather. any advice helps.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-28-2014

Re: looking for advice on sailing north FL to MA

You can do it if the boat's in good condition and you pay close attention to the weather.

However - if you are going by yourself I greatly recommend an autopilot and enough of an electrical system to deal with it.

If you plan on going in and out of inlets every day to anchor up, be aware that a lot of inlets involve traveling a good distance to find an anchorage. That can make for a long day. Fernandina Beach to St. Simons Sound can take longer than you think, anchor up to anchor down.

Got a liferaft or a dink with positive flotation in case of disaster?
Charts that show the class A inlets?

Be all that as it may, you can do it. Have a good time.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran

Last edited by FSMike; 12-28-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-28-2014 Thread Starter

thanks-
i usually just anchor anywhere out of the way of channels and other boats. i dont usually travel that much farther than where i pull in.
i have a kayak as a dinghy that i use to get back and forth.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankvictorian View Post
thanks-
i usually just anchor anywhere out of the way of channels and other boats. i dont usually travel that much farther than where i pull in.
Usually, as in where? This just isn't always a possibility.

With your draft, you should plan to take advantage of the ICW as much as you can. It's an experience your grandchildren may not have, as maintenance is being cut for many stretches. You'll get in plenty of sailing to get around New Jersey, up Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod Bay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-2014 Thread Starter

yes i have been ocean sailing down the coast of maine- then sc to northern fl.orida i preffed the ocean over the icw. the icw cost alot more money. im a poor sailor
post #6 of 6 Old 12-28-2014

Will you have any crew for this voyage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in