Spot, DeLorme Trackers? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 02-16-2015 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,174
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

Thank you all, good information.
WanderingStar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 Old 02-16-2015
Senior Member
 
Group9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,833
Thanks: 24
Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

We used a Spot II tracker on our last cruise and it was really nice for keeping the family calmed down and not worrying about us. I would hit the locate button every evening to show them where we were anchored at or in transit at.

I've still got mine and will definitely activate it again for our next cruise starting in a couple of months.

I'm not even going to upgrade from the Spot II.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.


"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Group9 is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 02-16-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,645
Thanks: 11
Thanked 253 Times in 248 Posts
Rep Power: 15
   
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

Any one-way gizmo (even phone text messages) have to be used with knowledge that a lack of message, a lack of acknowledgement, DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. This is why radio operators will acknowledge they have heard something, i.e. by saying "Roger."

So by all means use the SPOT or anything else, just let the wife know that "no messages" can mean you dropped it overboard, the battery is low and you're busy, all kinds of things that are not grounds for worry. Pick a time, like two hours or eight hours, and tell her not to worry until she hasn't heard from you for at least that long.

Get the gizmo a month or two in advance, and see what kind of coverage and lapses you may have, well in advance. And get her used to seeing it drop out from time to time.
hellosailor is offline  
 
post #14 of 36 Old 02-16-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 19,551
Thanks: 82
Thanked 551 Times in 528 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

Good point, hellosailor. If I'm going through the trouble of keeping someone on the home front informed of my safety, I would like to know they received the message. I don't want to worry that they are worried.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 11-02-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,671
Thanks: 93
Thanked 111 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

Nice thread and another example of the usefulness of Sailnet. Just ordered the DeLorme inReach SE unit for this winter's cruising. The two-way texting feature was the clincher as well as some bad reviews of the Spot unit on other websites. I also like the fact that it uses the Iridium system and has a water resistance rating which seems to be absent on the Spot. If anyone has any additional feedback on pluses and minuses or additional things to know about this particular device, would be nice to hear it.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
smurphny is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 11-02-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Nice thread and another example of the usefulness of Sailnet. Just ordered the DeLorme inReach SE unit for this winter's cruising. The two-way texting feature was the clincher as well as some bad reviews of the Spot unit on other websites. I also like the fact that it uses the Iridium system and has a water resistance rating which seems to be absent on the Spot. If anyone has any additional feedback on pluses and minuses or additional things to know about this particular device, would be nice to hear it.
I paired mine with a solar USB charger. The charger sits on top of the bimini and the Inreach is clipped underneath. A USB cable runs around the bimini and is plugged into the Inreach. This way, I never worry about charging it, it just stays charged and the solar charger has an extra USB port for another device.

I found this easier than trying to wire a USB charger to the boat electrical. It also keeps the Inreach with a clear view of the sky!
travellerw is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 11-02-2015
Senior Member
 
Yorksailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 783
Thanks: 34
Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

We used our Delorme, for short messages, all the way across the Pacific...Panama to New Zeland.

However, the weather gribs from the Sat phone were far more valuable and the crew of a sinking boat, 1,000nm off-shore, owe their rescue to a SSB! They were 300 nm miles from us and a boat that was initially 200nm from the sinking boat rescued the crew staying in SSB contact for the 2 days it took to get to the sinking boat.

Phil & Nell who are looking for crew back to the Caribbean from New Zealand via South Africa!

Last edited by Yorksailor; 11-02-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Yorksailor is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 11-02-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
We used our Delorme, for short messages, all the way across the Pacific...Panama to New Zeland.

However, the weather gribs from the Sat phone were far more valuable and the crew of a sinking boat, 1,000nm off-shore, owe their rescue to a SSB! They were 300 nm miles from us and a boat that was initially 200nm from the sinking boat rescued the crew staying in SSB contact for the 2 days it took to get to the sinking boat.

Phil & Nell who are looking for crew back to the Caribbean from New Zealand via South Africa!
I would love to hear the details of this. A boat sinking for 2 days and they were unable to stop the flow of water. Scary.

Is there anywhere I can read the story?
travellerw is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 11-02-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 19,551
Thanks: 82
Thanked 551 Times in 528 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

I finally bought an In Reach this past summer for our 26hr overnight across the Gulf of Maine. It both allowed text contact with our float plan shore based friends, but also allowed family to follow our progress on a website that we set a password for, so only they could see.

I thought it was a great tool. I bought an unlimited text plan for $75 and used it to pass the time texting about a half dozen buddies. Seemless integration with my iPhone. Highly recommend.

If and when it allows grib downloads, it will be perfect. Although, I've read that may never happen.
smurphny likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 11-03-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,671
Thanks: 93
Thanked 111 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Spot, DeLorme Trackers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I finally bought an In Reach this past summer for our 26hr overnight across the Gulf of Maine. It both allowed text contact with our float plan shore based friends, but also allowed family to follow our progress on a website that we set a password for, so only they could see.

I thought it was a great tool. I bought an unlimited text plan for $75 and used it to pass the time texting about a half dozen buddies. Seemless integration with my iPhone. Highly recommend.

If and when it allows grib downloads, it will be perfect. Although, I've read that may never happen.
Will be using it in the Bahamas in addition to SSB/Winlink which should provide enough in the way of communication so as to avoid needing to use Batelco which seems way overpriced for calling back to the US. The cost of DeLorme's unlimited text for just a few months seems like a good value.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
smurphny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delorme inreach 100fuegos General Discussion (sailing related) 9 04-14-2014 09:28 PM
Looking for a spot surfwanton Crew Wanted/Available 0 05-13-2009 05:05 PM
Spot theartfuldodger Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 12 08-22-2008 11:39 AM
Crew spot available ianhlnd Crew Wanted/Available 13 05-06-2008 10:37 PM
Spot sailortjk1 Gear & Maintenance 9 03-27-2008 07:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome