Mast Shipping fall 2015-South from Oswego or Chicago - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-22-2015 Thread Starter

Mast Shipping fall 2015-South from Oswego or Chicago

Ahoy. We are planning to depart the Great Lakes for points south in the fall of 2015 (Aug-Sept). We will be going via either Oswego or possibly Chicago for a great loop experience. We met a couple from Michigan who went from Chicago in their C42 last fall, and had a great time. No crab pots, tides or hurricanes.

We would like to find information on shipping our 60' mast, preferably with other similar minded adventurers.

Anyone with information or wishing to team up to save cost can post or pm me.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by prior; 03-22-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-22-2015

Re: Mast Shipping fall 2015-South from Oswego or Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by prior View Post
Ahoy. We are planning to depart the Great Lakes for points south in the fall of 2015 (Aug-Sept). We will be going via either Oswego or possibly Chicago for a great loop experience. We met a couple from Michigan who went form Chicago in their C42 and had a great time. No crab pots, tides or hurricanes.
Yeah, no sailing, either... :-)

Quote:
We would like to find information on shipping our 60' mast, preferably with other similar minded adventurers.

Anyone with information or wishing to team up to save cost can post or pm me.

Cheers
Paul
Well, I can see shipping a stick from Chicago to Mobile, but why would you do so from Oswego? It's less than 200 miles before you could re-step it again, after all...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-22-2015 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-22-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks, but alas I am seeking information or anyone who wishes to team up vs opinions
True enough for Oswego, but the thought of 15' hanging out both ends seems like courting disaster. With enough parties involved the price may be attractive as a form of stress management. The couple I just met who went from Chicago told me they paid 300.
Seems like a deal to me.
There will be plenty of sailing at the other end.

Paul
C42mkii
Shoal
3 Cabin

post #4 of 13 Old 03-22-2015

Try Andrews Trucking Ltd. out of Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON. Yacht transport is their specialty for over 40 years. Their website is dated as there are some now defunct builders in their customer list, but they should be able to quote a spar transport with another boat heading south at that time.
The Following User Says Thank You to rugosa For This Useful Post:
prior (03-22-2015)
post #5 of 13 Old 03-22-2015

Rather than putting up with the logistics, expenses, insurance and stress, why not just build a decent cross brace on your deck with enough protection at the ends of the stick? Do you really have a mast 30' longer than LOA?
I have done the Erie Canal with a 42 foot mast on a 30' boat with no problem whatsoever. Domestic shipping from the US down to the Gulf would be simple I assume, but from Canada, not worth it in my opinion. Besides, you need something to hang on to when on deck...
post #6 of 13 Old 03-22-2015 Thread Starter

And I just may do that, however at this point I am looking for information on shipping the mast. 60' mast 42 LOA, so I guess I would only have 9' hanging out each end. Thanks for pointing that out. Did I mention how much the mast weights? Probably 2.5 times your example.
Thanks

Paul
C42mkii
Shoal
3 Cabin
post #7 of 13 Old 03-23-2015

Quote:
And I just may do that, however at this point I am looking for information on shipping the mast. 60' mast 42 LOA, so I guess I would only have 9' hanging out each end. Thanks for pointing that out. Did I mention how much the mast weights? Probably 2.5 times your example.
Thanks
If you do wind up taking it on deck, I'd suggest positioning it off the centerline as much as practical, to the side opposite the direction your prop wants to walk to...

In my opinion, it makes life a lot easier... :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
prior (03-23-2015)
post #8 of 13 Old 03-23-2015

something I just experienced, not all yards on the east coast have a crane at the yard to pull a mast and the cost to bring one in can be costly. pick your shipping point carefully.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #9 of 13 Old 03-23-2015

Is your plan to do the loop or only to get south? If the latter, I would highly recommend taking the Erie over to the Hudson river, putting the stick back on and heading south. If your 60ft mast is keel stepped, you can probably transit most of the ICW, but be able to sail as conditions permit. Why would one want to motor down the Mississippi on a dismasted sailboat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
prior (03-23-2015)
post #10 of 13 Old 03-30-2015 Thread Starter

because it is there for the taking

Paul
C42mkii
Shoal
3 Cabin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in