How to dock while towing dinghy - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-19-2015 Thread Starter
Scalawag

How to dock while towing dinghy

What is the proper way to dock while towing a dinghy? Do you bring the dinghy up along the side of your boat keeping the dinghy on the side opposite the dock?

What kind of line do you want for towing a dinghy? How long should it be? I saw something that said for a rigid dinghy you should run a line from a cleat on one side of the stern back thru the eye loop on the dinghy then back to a cleat on the other side of the stern of the towing boat (making is necessary for the tow line to be a little more than twice the length you want the dinghy to be from the towing boat.

Last edited by Michigander; 04-19-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-19-2015
Sailor

Re: How to dock while towing dinghy

To pull up abreast of a dock and not into a slip, it's best to pull the dinghy amidships opposite to where you are tying up to. I believe one line from the bow of the dinghy is sufficient. That makes it much easier to keep track of when motoring. Tie it to one of the stern cleats as you are sailing and adjust the length to put it back a wave of 2.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-19-2015

When pulling into a slip, I pull my dinghy right up right to the stern of the boat. I have a ladder hinged up on the stern and the dinghy rides on that. A fender will do if you don't have a ladder. When pulling up alongside I do as Gladrags said, I tie the dinghy to the other side with lines bow and stern to keep it alongside.
The tow line arrangement you described could be described as a sliding bridle, which would not normally be needed for a dinghy. If what you are towing is big and heavy relative to the tow boat, a sliding bridle is helpful as it keeps equal pull on each stern cleat. Towing off just one stern cleat will affect your steering, the boat will want to turn toward the side with the tow connected. I've towed boats much larger than my own and lacking a proper tow bitt, that's about the only way to make it work.
Many will advise to use poly propylene rope as it floats and can't get caught on your prop, but I don't like it as it's not very strong and the sunlight eats it up, especially in the easy to find yellow or white colors. If you can find it in black, that will last much longer. I use 3/8 or 1/2" nylon and I'm careful not to back down on it.

Last edited by capt jgwinks; 04-19-2015 at 08:07 AM.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-19-2015

Assuming you are clear to one side, while docking, I prefer a bow line off the dinghy to one of the side deck cleats. Short enough (virtually straight up) that the motor can't swing around and hit the boat. The dinghy can still pivot from front to back, in the event the docking requires some maneuvering.

If you are not clear, then a short line off the bow or stern of the boat, depending on which end is clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-19-2015
One of None

dock when towing dink.... dock the boat the say "oh I forgot we are towing a dink!"

Seriously if there is any current at all the dink will follow unless you a going with the flow then the dink is all over the place.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #6 of 18 Old 04-19-2015

The one time I ever wrapped once of my own lines on the prop was when I forgot I had the dinghy on a long tow line. I backed up, wrapped the line, and bent the shaft. Expensive lesson.
capta and Coyle like this.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-19-2015 Thread Starter
Scalawag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Assuming you are clear to one side, while docking, I prefer a bow line off the dinghy to one of the side deck cleats. Short enough (virtually straight up) that the motor can't swing around and hit the boat. The dinghy can still pivot from front to back, in the event the docking requires some maneuvering.

If you are not clear, then a short line off the bow or stern of the boat, depending on which end is clear.
I like this idea for a tight slip where you couldnt have the dinghy pulled up alongside and secured from the bow and potentially the stern. But what about a failed docking attempt where you find yourself reversing for a go around. Will that situation cause problems for the dinghy tied up as you described?
post #8 of 18 Old 04-19-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
I like this idea for a tight slip where you couldnt have the dinghy pulled up alongside and secured from the bow and potentially the stern. But what about a failed docking attempt where you find yourself reversing for a go around. Will that situation cause problems for the dinghy tied up as you described?
If the painter is "virtually straight up" as Minnewaska suggests, there is not enough line to find its way to (or around) the prop. I do this too when I pull into my slip; dinghy painter short so that the dinghy's bow is tight against the transom.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #9 of 18 Old 04-19-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Absolutely essential that the tow line is shortened so it is near vertical. A longer line risks the dinghy going somewhere it should not, like the wrong side of a mooring pole. I have seen it happen and it ripped the towing eyes off the dink.

If it is a hard dink fenders are a good idea.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2015
One of None

this is one place where floating poly line is a good thing for the bridle
capta likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in