Groton CT to Branford CT - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 04-27-2015 Thread Starter

Groton CT to Branford CT

I purchased a 1978 31' Pearson in Groton, CT. I plan to sail it to Branford, CT and would to know if anyone in this forum has any advise or warnings. I took an intense one week sailing course and earned my ASA 101 and 103 certificates. One thing I learned is that being familiar with the goes a long way. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-27-2015
Tartan 27' owner

Re: Groton CT to Branford CT

That is about a 50 mile hike so it is do-able in one day. At a rate of 5 knots it could take 10 hours so don't be shy about using your engine to maintain 5 knots of speed. Also, try to time leaving New London with the start of the flood in the Race so the current is with you (see Eldridge Tide & Pilot manual). There are other harbors you could use to bail out in along the way so make note of those.
Watch out for submarines in Groton/New London and obey all nav aids around Faulkner Island - there be rocks there.
Most of all, enjoy your new Pearson.
Sal Paradise likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-27-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

post #4 of 29 Old 04-27-2015

Any new to you boat will have unexpected problems, no matter how good a survey you had. I'd daysail it a few times locally, before I took the trip, even though it's a short one. Make sure the engine works (motor a few hours, shift it a few times), the sails work (rig, sails go up, go down, aren't torn up), the rudder works, and the thing stays water tight. Everything else can wait for repair on the other end. Bring tools, spares, safety equipment. Pick a good day. Start early, listen to Caleb about tides.

Good luck, and have fun!
post #5 of 29 Old 04-27-2015

Pick up the 2015 Eldridge Tide and Pilot book. and +2 on the tide. Currents are stronger in the eastern end of LIS.
mbianka likes this.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-27-2015
GMC

Congratulations on your new boat. I'm sure you've heard many of these, but I would get a copy of Eldridge if you haven't already and go with the flow; have a handheld radio in addition to your main radio; tow a dinghy; good chart; handheld gps (unless you inherited something better); look at places to duck in and anchor if you are tired or having problems (Niantic, Saybrook, etc; I'd get yourself loaded up and sleep on the boat if you are getting an early start; be patient with yourself; check your anchor set-up/rode; bring a way to re-charge your cell phone. If this is your first sail, I'd take a couple of days and enjoy it. If you are going solo, make a couple sandwiches in advance and put a cooler in the cockpit. Good Luck. I live in CT, but keep my boat in New Bedford. If your crew abandons you prior to sail and you don't want to go alone, let me know and if I'm not under my boat, painting, I'll give you a hand.
Greg
mbianka likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-27-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you for the great advice.

Greg,

I will be sailing with my wife, but we are both new to sailing. I will definitely keep you in mind when it comes time to put the boat in the water. I really can't leave it at the marina where it is located and I have to move it to the marina I just signed up in.

Thank you,

Alex

Last edited by sparkynacho; 04-27-2015 at 05:17 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-27-2015
HANUMAN

Hi,

I sail that stretch often. You are getting good advice so far as to currents and US Navy traffic and some basic equipment to have onboard. There's also the ferries and a couple of things you could bump into along the way. Overall it's an easy trip as long as you have the weather.

Use Eldridges to try and catch the end of the ebb on the river - slack at the mouth - and then you can ride the flood to Branford. This will give you fair current for most of the trip (as the trip will be longer than six hours).

I'm not a Seatow/BoatUS member but for your first season with an untested boat it might not be a bad idea, just in case you need a tow in.

I'd also be willing to lend a hand if you need it (and our schedules work out). I can always hop the train back to New London or Mystic.

PM me or email me at (trysail)AT(gmail)DOT(com)
mbianka likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #9 of 29 Old 04-27-2015

1st. Invest in towboat or seatow before you go. Well worth the investment if you have a problem.
2nd. look at the weather windows carefully. We've had a lot of really windy days this spring.
If you need help w/ pick up or drop offs let me know. I work in Branford and keep the boat in westbrook. email [email protected]
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40
post #10 of 29 Old 04-28-2015

Agree with the advice of many others here. Pick up the 2015 Eldridge Tide & Pilot ASAP and get to know how to use it BEFORE you head out. Lot's of good information. My copy is always sitting in the cockpit next to me whenever I head out. As someone mentioned take the last of the ebb from Groton into the Sound then pick up the Flood west. Use the currents to your advantage and it makes for a more pleasant trip. Also err on the side of taking the ebb from Groton earlier rather than last minute. Better to buck a little current while the boat is in the Sound rather than bucking it to try and get into the Sound and miss the full flood benefit.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying some Fall sailing while it lasts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in