Blog about going south on the East Coast ICW to FL? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 04-30-2015

Re: Blog about going south on the East Coast ICW to FL?

Not helpful to learn much, but search for the "Wicked Salty" channel on YouTube. Couple of kids from New England that ran the ditch southbound this past Fall/Winter. They made an attempt at crossing to the Bahamas and turned back. That was their last upload, three weeks ago. Suspense is killing me.

edit..... here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WickedSaltySailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 04-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not helpful to learn much, but search for the "Wicked Salty" channel on YouTube. Couple of kids from New England that ran the ditch southbound this past Fall/Winter. They made an attempt at crossing to the Bahamas and turned back. That was their last upload, three weeks ago. Suspense is killing me.

edit..... here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WickedSaltySailors
I too enjoyed watching the Wicked Salty videos over the winter. Nice overview of some novice kids making a mistake here and there on the journey but, enjoying the voyage over all. They are now in the Exumas in the Bahamas.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to mbianka For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
post #13 of 23 Old 05-08-2015

"Katie and Jessie on a boat"- they have completed their great loop journey with their dog on a Cal 27. Great read/Great photography!
The Following User Says Thank You to thezzzone For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)

post #14 of 23 Old 05-08-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

There are a couple of Youtube vids by a 70 yr old Brit who bought a boat of Ebay for little money and sailed it down the ICW. It gives a pretty realistic snapshot on what to expect.

It is in 2 parts here is a link to the first.

https://youtu.be/Q8Y35_z8cxM
The Following User Says Thank You to TQA For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
post #15 of 23 Old 05-09-2015

A hard copy of Skipper Bob's Anchorage Guide (which also lists bridge names and their opening schedules) is very handy.

One little secret I use is for when I am near the New River Inlet, NC (near Camp Lejune). Go to the Wilmington Corps of Engineers web site and you will find a fairly recent survey of the area where the inlet T's into the ICW, which is well known for constant shoaling issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhwelch For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
post #16 of 23 Old 05-09-2015

Cruising Down the ICW - Winter of 2015

The first thing I read in this blog is that Hampton to Deltaville is 40 miles and about 6 hours. From Willoughby (Norfolk) to Deltaville is somewhere between 50 and 55 miles, and Hampton is slightly farther. You'd have to be flying to go from Hampton to Dville in 6 hours. It took around ten hours last time I did it, averaging five knots or so.

I like reading blogs sometimes, but to the original poster, basing your ETAs and mileage per leg on this blog is not off to a good start. Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbone For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
post #17 of 23 Old 05-19-2015

I just finished coming up the ICW from West Palm to Beautfort, NC due to Tropical storm Ana and it was one of my worst sailing experiences ever. Mostly because my boat doesn't fit, it's a Beneteau First 40 that draws 8' feet and carries a 63'10" rig. We found several unmarked shoals and most of the bridges were 64' or less depending on the tide. The worst part was from Ft. Pierce south. So, depending on your boat be prepared for a rough ride.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeolus For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
post #18 of 23 Old 05-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
I just finished coming up the ICW from West Palm to Beautfort, NC due to Tropical storm Ana and it was one of my worst sailing experiences ever. Mostly because my boat doesn't fit, it's a Beneteau First 40 that draws 8' feet and carries a 63'10" rig. We found several unmarked shoals and most of the bridges were 64' or less depending on the tide. The worst part was from Ft. Pierce south. So, depending on your boat be prepared for a rough ride.

Mark
Sounds like you should have waited, what with the wrong tool for the job, and all... :-)

We got into Beaufort early this morning after departing Ft Pierce Saturday, great trip... Would have even been better if this boat had a spinnaker :-)

Any boatbuilder branding their boats with 63' 10" sticks as "ICW Capable" should be forced to make the trip themselves, lashed to the top of the damn things...

:-)
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
post #19 of 23 Old 05-19-2015

I had a similar experience in 1996 in early May, bringing my boat from Ft. Pierce to Beaufort, NC. We did the 600 mi. or so in 72 hours, thanks to going offshore and picking up the Gulf Stream. The last few hours had us motoring into a 30 kt squall as we approached the lighted buoys into Beaufort Inlet. The unlit side channel to Beaufort was a worry, but no problems in the end.

This, however, is not what the thread is about. It is a lot easier going north to New England from Florida. I would like to head south on the ICW before swallowing the anchor, so I will be looking at the information available on this and other sites. I'll undoubtedly update my charts and pick up some of the printed info available at reasonable price if I do ever head off to the south. In my favor: my 35 footer has an air draft of about 46 ft. and my retractable keel and rudder will allow me to float (or refloat) in less than 2 ft.
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
jballou (05-20-2015)
post #20 of 23 Old 05-21-2015

We have many posts on our Trawler Beach House blog. Like most blogs, the older posts are at the end and the newest at the beginning. Although we have a trawler, the posts can be useful to sailboats too. The Trawler Beach House: Intracoastal Waterway . Chuck

Our Blogs

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in