Best boat for 25 grand for coastal cruising and going from east coast to Caribbean - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 84 Old 06-12-2015

Re: Best boat for 25 grand for coastal cruising and going from east coast to Caribbea

Tons of books by Ference Mate', Hiscocks, Roths, Pardeys and many others--and of course Calder...but check them out --most of your questions have been addressed and answered in many other places--really--don't focus on a specific boat until the end of your search as many--yes many will fit your criteria. If you don't like the boat--get another one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 07-01-2015

Question Re: Best boat for 25 grand for coastal cruising and going from east coast to Caribbea

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Go with the Morgan 33 Out Island - best of the lot!

Gary
I really agree with you on Morgans designs; intelligent compromises by a talented designer. I am selling my landlubbers paradise and going to sea again if all goes well. Sailed a lot in NE
waters, Block Is , etc and 1960 Bermuda Race - Alden 63' schooner/Boothbay ME 1929 from 30s. Though I'll be 75 in 2 months and have retained I hope adequate seamanship, I am completely lacking in knowledge of aging of fiberglass 35-45' boats. I am looking at Morgans, Island Packet, Halberg-Rassy, and Tartans. Great buys on 1967 to some 1990 boats ~ 50 to 25 yrs old. I should have enough to buy a $135K boat and another $30K for "missed items". I have a liking for full-keel boats, and am inclined toward Island Packet. My questions to you are: What is life expectancy on fiberglass (I know the composition of fiberglas used must have improved in certain periods) to retain blue water strength, and what should I look for so I that I don't buy a pretty painted, but rotten hull that may well pound apart in first squall? Sorry to be so wordy, but I greatly appreciate your help.
post #63 of 84 Old 07-01-2015

Question Re: Best boat for 25 grand for coastal cruising and going from east coast to Caribbea

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Go with the Morgan 33 Out Island - best of the lot!

Gary
I really agree with you on Morgans designs; intelligent compromises by a talented designer. I am selling my landlubbers paradise and going to sea again if all goes well. Sailed a lot in NE
waters, Block Is , etc and 1960 Bermuda Race - Alden 63' schooner/Boothbay ME 1929 from 30s. Though I'll be 75 in 2 months and have retained I hope adequate seamanship, I am completely lacking in knowledge of aging of fiberglass 35-45' boats. I am looking at Morgans, Island Packet, Halberg-Rassy, and Tartans. Great buys on 1967 to some 1990 boats ~ 50 to 25 yrs old. I should have enough to buy a $135K boat and another $30K for "missed items". I have a liking for full-keel boats, and am inclined toward Island Packet. My questions to you are: What is life expectancy on fiberglass (I know the composition of fiberglas used must have improved in certain periods) to retain blue water strength, and what should I look for so I that I don't buy a pretty painted, but rotten hull that may well pound apart in first squall? Sorry to be so wordy, but I greatly appreciate your help.

post #64 of 84 Old 07-02-2015

Re: Best boat for 25 grand for coastal cruising and going from east coast to Caribbea

From all the testing results I've read, fiberglass boats will probably outlive steel hulled vessels by a significant margin. And, the test results clearly show that fiberglass hulls really do not change much when it comes to structural integrity over a period of more than 50 years. Take a look at http://www.ericgreeneassociates.com/..._Longevity.pdf

Good luck from another 75 year old codger,

Gary
post #65 of 84 Old 07-02-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
Fiberglass seems to have a usable lifespan of at least 100 years or so if maintained. Or so it looks like. To me island packets are OK for marinas and if you are only going to be in very shallow waters. But special attention needs to be paid to chainplates as they are embedded in the hull behind cabinetry. So inspection is impossible without destroying the interior. There are other cost cutting measures such as the concreat ballast that make them not worth the premium they go for. I would look for something that has better motion and performance especially light air.

With the money you are taking about the Halberg Rassy sounds good.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #66 of 84 Old 08-10-2015 Thread Starter

Whats everyones opinion on the Bristol 29.9? This is the boat I'm currently looking at since theyre very reasonably priced, solid build, and I like the layout. I've heard they are great coastal cruisers, but my 1-2 year plan includes some ocean passages. Will this boat be able to make it across an ocean?
post #67 of 84 Old 08-10-2015

You are asking for trouble here when you ask for opinions but asking for "everyone's opinion"?? And on a particular boat? Whether or not a particular boat can make it on a long ocean passage is as much, if not more, a function of the person or persons who sail her. This is something that many novices or relatively inexperienced sailors do not seem to understand. You as the owner determines how she is maintained and equipped. You as the owner determine how you will stow and secure gear, choose the anchor and rode, the sails and how you will provision and handle cooking and water and fuel etc. You will determine the course, when to reef, when to heave-to and when to let all the sails fly, when to change course to avoid a ship or bad weather etc. etc. You will determine whether she needs to be re-rigged, have new sails and whether her bilge pumps are adequate etc etc etc ad infinitum. So, the question is not whether a particular style or model or an individual boat can cross an ocean--sure it can--why not? The question is whether you can make the passage safely.
asdf38 likes this.
post #68 of 84 Old 08-11-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8sn0surf View Post
Whats everyones opinion on the Bristol 29.9? This is the boat I'm currently looking at since theyre very reasonably priced, solid build, and I like the layout. I've heard they are great coastal cruisers, but my 1-2 year plan includes some ocean passages. Will this boat be able to make it across an ocean?
We have a 45.5 which is obviously a very different boat but it came from the same factory at more or less the same time. This generation of Bristols are very well made. Within the limitations of its size (carrying capacity and comfort) I have no doubt the 29.9 could cross an ocean in the trades or in the westerlies in summer.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #69 of 84 Old 08-11-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8sn0surf View Post
Depends on the year and condition. See some of Jeff H comments on the Bristol 35 so he doesn't need to cut and paste. Basically, it's a decent boat, but not the best, as you knew. It's not up to Morris or hinkley standards, but if it surveys well, and you're not a performance/racing guy, probably fine as long as you be sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #70 of 84 Old 08-11-2015

2 years ago I was looking at a refitted Corbin 39 with an asking price of $20k. The only reason I didn't buy it wa because it was too much boat to learn on. This boat should have sold for $80k. Don't be afraid to hold out for an insanely good deal. That boat would take you anywhere around the world.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in