Boat Shoes - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 92 Old 06-25-2015

Re: Boat Shoes

Astral footwear.

I've worn all the rest, they suck for long term cruising and offshore work.

Astral is a new shoe brand, and they have made a great product. I own a pair of Brewers, lowyaks, and porters. They all have siping on extra sticky non marking G rubber.

When they get dirty, I wash them by hand and they look and smell brand new. Try that with sperrys. They are well vented, and comfortable to walk long distances in. I wear them full time at home, the aquanauts, with a more aggressive tread.

Do a google search for astral footwear. You can thank me later

I'll do a full review at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 92 Old 06-25-2015

Re: Boat Shoes - you're lucky if you're average

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJackson View Post
Most of the fast dry synthetic shoes, like Harken, and all of the molded shoes (Crocs, 5 fingers, etc) only come in a normal width. Nobody wants to invest in the mold cost for making a shoe that few people buy and fewer stores inventory. I have to wear a wide width and that pretty much limits me to fully sewn shoes like Sperry.

I feel your pain, brother. I wear a 4E width myself. Almost none of the shoes listed above are an option for me.

But I have good news, Vibram Fivefingers are stretchy enough that they work GREAT for me. I loved the ones I bought last year so much that I almost immediately ordered a second pair, just to have on reserve. FWIW, these are the ones I wear: Running Shoes Men – EL-X Barefoot Fitness | Vibram FiveFingers.

In that they are very akin to going barefoot, I probably wouldn't wear this particular model on a long walk. But they offer better traction on a slippery surface than any shoe I have ever worn, and of course are impervious to water.
mstern and agentjohnson like this.
post #23 of 92 Old 06-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
I feel your pain, brother. I wear a 4E width myself. Almost none of the shoes listed above are an option for me.

But I have good news, Vibram Fivefingers are stretchy enough that they work GREAT for me. I loved the ones I bought last year so much that I almost immediately ordered a second pair, just to have on reserve. FWIW, these are the ones I wear: Running Shoes Men EL-X Barefoot Fitness | Vibram FiveFingers.

In that they are very akin to going barefoot, I probably wouldn't wear this particular model on a long walk. But they offer better traction on a slippery surface than any shoe I have ever worn, and of course are impervious to water.
Do they prevent broken toes when you hit deck hardware?

post #24 of 92 Old 06-25-2015

It appears to me that wrestling shoes would work perfectly for boat shoes; they are flexible, the soles don't gather dirt, and they have great traction on most surfaces.
post #25 of 92 Old 06-25-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
It appears to me that wrestling shoes would work perfectly for boat shoes; they are flexible, the soles don't gather dirt, and they have great traction on most surfaces.

Tropical climate? I don't think so. Too many good purpose built options out there with good ventilation and water tolerant. The astral footwear shoes I wear have the kind of flexibility and traction I remember from high school wrestling. Moisture and UV are harsh, and wrestling shoes are essentially indoor shoes. And they aren't siped, which is critical.

post #26 of 92 Old 06-26-2015

I wore the old school brown Sperry's, with the white soles and razor treads, since I was younger than I remember. My mother used to make us wear them in the water, when they were new, and then keep them on until they dried, to wear them in.

I wore them year round, even in the winter. No socks, of course. My son does the same today, only with the newer style.

Unfortunately, with high arches and 5 decades on my feet, they are too rough for me to wear religously anymore. I switched to the billfish style about 5 years ago, but my feet with still ache after a full day aboard in them.

I now prefer a laced up sneaker and agree that I would like a real sailing shoe that laces up. It seems several manufacturers made them a few years back, but dropped the lines. The problem with the Harbormasters is they done't come in wide sizes, or I just can't find them in wide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 92 Old 06-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post

But I have good news, Vibram Fivefingers are stretchy enough that they work GREAT for me. I loved the ones I bought last year so much that I almost immediately ordered a second pair, just to have on reserve. FWIW, these are the ones I wear: Running Shoes Men – EL-X Barefoot Fitness | Vibram FiveFingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Do they prevent broken toes when you hit deck hardware?
Depends how hard you hit it I suppose, but they definitely help prevent your skull from splitting when it hits the deck.

Again, try finding the "perfect" boat shoe in a 4E width. Go on. Try.

Last edited by dixiedawg; 06-26-2015 at 08:14 AM.
post #28 of 92 Old 06-26-2015

Good thread. Anyone have any recommendations for an aging runner? I don't mean I want boat shoes that I can run in, but every boat shoe I've tried lacks reasonable arch support. I'd rather sail in my running shoes for comfort, but of course they have soles that mark up the deck.

Like Mini, the best compromise i've found is the billfish style, but I have the same complaint, after a day on those I want out of them.
post #29 of 92 Old 06-26-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Astral footwear.

Astral is a new shoe brand, and they have made a great product. I own a pair of Brewers, lowyaks, and porters. They all have siping on extra sticky non marking G rubber.

Thanks, these look very promising, especially the Brewers and the Porters. Can you rate between these two for non-skid traction, resistance to picking up sand/dirt, and support for walking?
post #30 of 92 Old 06-26-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

since 1955, age 7, i been sailing with bare feet. nothing else is good enough.
nothing else is actually nonskid.
i do not nor will i race a sailboat. i cruise. no shoes
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in