Planning for 4-5 years in the future. Thoughts appreciated. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 08-24-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Planning for 4-5 years in the future. Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 08-25-2015

Thanks for the post, my wife and I are also in the planning stage. However our timeline is a bit further out, our youngest is eight, not planing to live aboard with kids. I have had small lake boats for twenty years, anxious to get experience on something larger. It would be great to connect with another couple for a week charter to gain experience and reduce costs.
post #23 of 30 Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to a charter and meeting new people. I have a unknown event right now. I'm in new Mexico as my residence. I'm supposed to go to DC for a year long training, but the date keeps slipping. When I head to DC is when I'll charter and take additional lessons. Where are you located?
Sent from my cellphone.

post #24 of 30 Old 08-26-2015

We are in utah now, looking into joining the sailing club here. Keep me posted on your charter intentions....cheers
post #25 of 30 Old 08-26-2015

theres a sailing channel on youtube called honeymoon by seth hynes, they sail a Lagoon around the world for their honeymoon. dont think i saw them stay at a marina once, although its been a while since i watched the series. a water maker may be more important on a cat since they are so stable you may never need a break from the rocking. agreed with the rest about planning. i have my today boat that i enjoy immensely and i keep my plans for the future fairly vague since for example: if lockheed martin isnt lying then there could very possibly be fusion reactors available in 10 years to power your boat. if there were a reality then you need a tankage capacity of about 1 litre of fuel to power an entire circumnavigation. technology will always change and we all need to adjust accordingly
post #26 of 30 Old 07-21-2019 Thread Starter

Wow, my really old post from 4 years ago. Update...
I'm about 1.5 years out still. Everything is lining up fine.
I did charter a Lagoon 440 from Florida to Bahamas and back. Has really $h!ty weather, but still had a great time. Loved it, expensive, but well spent money.
I've decided to look at the following boats, 2010-2013 Lagoon 421 owners, 2012 Fountaine Pajot owners, if affordable or 4-bed, Lagoon 450 4-bed older model. I hope to get one in the $350k plus/minus 10k range.

CWYCKHAM said, "I would strongly suggest, though, that you look to buy a smaller and much cheaper first boat and sail the heck out of her for a few years. You'll learn a ton about sailing, living aboard for weekends up to a week, boat maintenance, what features you find most important in a boat, fixing boats, your personal style of sailing, boat maintenance and also fixing boats."
Well...
I did live in Washington DC for a year. Bought a 1988 C&C 30MkII. What a blast. Lived on it for a year by myself (temporary duty, no wife). Sailed it every single week, winter or not.
I cannot wait for retirement.
I hope to buy local, but likely will be in the Med. Seems to have the most choices at a decent cost. Have to sail it or pay to have it sailed to Texas for refit and full time liveaboard.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by serpa4; 07-21-2019 at 02:14 AM.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-21-2019

Dock

Lagoon 450 is a big boat. Huge.

I like the 421

What fits the budget.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #28 of 30 Old 07-21-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Lagoon 450 is a big boat. Huge.

I like the 421

What fits the budget.
Yep, it will come down to price. Trying to stick to only one boat, right layout, right price, will keep me shopping forever. Need choices. The 421 3-bed and maybe....Helia 44 3-bed are my choices. Those two are about the same size. 421 is shorter, but wider, Helia 44 is longer, but narrower.
I'd really like a 3-bed over a 4 and a sport top over fly, but price will be the main factor.
The main concern on a 421 is the small rear deck. That is where I feel most time will be spent and the Helia 44 rules on that department. The Helia also has a sport top, but nice flybridge layout. I have a feeling in about 1.5 years, the 3 bed Helia 44 wont be down to 350k.

Last edited by serpa4; 07-21-2019 at 03:22 AM.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-21-2019

Dock

Yes, the 3 cabin owners version would be luxury

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #30 of 30 Old 07-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
I only have about 5 months of sailing a 15 foot boat on a lake. I've been a power boater most my life and love the ocean and lakes. Why I think I'd like sailing the world:
1) I love to travel over seas. My parents and I am boat retired military. I've been to about 18 countries.
2) Love water and the ocean
3) Been to many foreign countries and want to see a lot more
4) Lived in a 12 foot truck camper for about a year. I initially wanted to travel in an RV, the distance is too limited and want to see more.
5) Can fix about anything, electrical, engines, plumbing, etc.
6) I will be taking professional courses next summer when I'm closer to the ocean.
7) I enjoy the company of other was well as being isolated. Both suit me and my wife fine.

So, I'm still in the early planning stages and hope to charter a 40' cat this coming summer for a week or two to evaluate the life. I have "camped" ha ha ha, in the summer in Florida several times and believe we can handle the heat else where in the world. I have navigation, sailing, and storm sailing classes and trips I plan to take this summer. After retirement and the purchase of a cat, I plan to learn to sail by spending a year in Florida and up the ICW and then slowly branching to Bahamas and Caribbean before hopping over any oceans for the long haul.

1) I hope to retire at 51.
2) I hope to have enough investment income to make a boat payment of up to $2,000/month. I don't want to spend the investments and pay cash so when I'm done sailing (10-15 year??), I'll still have the investments.
3) I believe I can live off $2,700 a month after taxes not including my boat payment. That is my retirement income. I have IRA/ROTH, but that will come much later in life, like 70.

I put a list together with my wife and our priorities for traveling the world and living off the hook, not marinas is:
1. Fuel capacity. My biggest fear is breaking down, rigging, sails, etc exactly 1/2 way across the pacific. Hence I'd like about 200 gallons of fuel. I plan on living off the grid months at a time without a marina.
2. Helm protection (no fly bridges). I'll be at the wheel someday in a storm and want to be protected.
3. A cat with a width of 23' or more. Seems like I've been looking at 21'9" to 25'9" so far.
4. Length, 40 absolute minimum and 45' absolute max. I need to handle it with only two crew (self/spouse).
5. Fridge capacity. 2 would be great, but think there might be power issues. A lot of people do without, so this is debatable, but not according to my wife.
6. floor plan has to be right.
7. freezer capacity
8. Washer. Whatever it takes to keep the spouse happy since she will likely be doing it.
9. black capacity when I cannot dump. I think the Lectrasan systems will be fine.
10. Fresh capacity. I've re-evaluated this and it needs to move much higher. Initial thought was to just turn on and off the "mandatory" water maker. Well, they are power hungry, use a lot of water to clean them every time they are used so it's not something I'd use daily as initially thought. More like every 1 to 2 weeks.

So, thus far I found a nice cat I like:
221 gallons of fuel
221 gallons of fresh
43 feet by 24 feet
washer
AC powered fridge and inverter (I'll probably pull it for a good marine one.
Designed to be sailed short handed.
200 liter/hr water maker driven by the engine. Don't know if that is good or bad.
Large?? battery bank. They say 750 amp/hr. so I guess 6 batteries. Perhaps I could add 2 more. With solar and two batteries, I have camped off the grid for 6 months without power. However, boats don't use propane fridges, and they do have a ton of electronics. Perhaps it's an apples to oranges comparison.
400+ watts of solar. I'd like to add wind also if that isn't enough.

It's a new 2014 model, but hopefully I can afford a used one 4-5 years from now.

I see no one mentions fuel capacity. I know it's a sail boat designed to sail, but is it not important? I figure the boat generator might see some use, such as the water maker or charging when solar is not putting out for a 3-4 day gap of clouds. If I island hop, panama canal, or take the dreaded suez canal, fuel might be important.
I'd like some comforts like a fridge/freezer, but not sure how big to go or perhaps how small.
Still working on the logistics of taxes, bills (if any), sat phones, insurance, etc.

I'm open to thoughts. I'm still learning and planning.

Loved this quote by alanr77:

Not everyone wants to leave dirt behind and live a strictly seaman's life. A lot of people just love being on the water, love to sail, and want to travel a bit by way of water. It seems that in the sailing world, there is a constant fight between the "old salt traditional keel swashbucket sailor" and the "modern electronic mod con sailor" Everyone thinks that they have the best way but one has to really look at what type of cruising that person is doing before they can figure out the best way for them to do it.

I think I fall into the Modern electronic sailor category. I would like to take a star navigation class though.
I'm open to thoughts. I'm still learning and planning.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in