Looking for a good buyer broker - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 08-25-2015

Re: Looking for a good buyer broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailortobe888 View Post
Well, whats a good starter? I think you could sink a boat load of money into any kind of boat. Do I purchase a 20 footer that my family could not comfortably spend weekends on? Dump a boat load of money into repairs and upgrades, and then lose a boat load of money when I try to sell it among the thousands of other small sailboats that are currently on the market?
How about buying a really cheap 20-30 footer and spend the rest of the summer learning to sail. Don't spend days and dollars upgrading it, just start learning to sail while researching that big boat you want to buy? You can get a nice 25 footer for less than the cost of a new set of sails for a 45 foot boat. You could easily spend a year online here trying to figure out which is the right boat then another year searching for it. A small investment in a learner boat might save you money in the long run.

Otherwise you should go out and buy a Beneteau 42.7, it sounds perfect for your needs.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 08-25-2015

Dock

We just purchased a J37C (my husband's previous boat was a Something-27). We're thrilled, and we believe that we'll be able to live quite comfortably on it; at first for short periods and in a year-and-a-half for many months. It's got plenty of space (we think). We, too, wanted something big enough that we didn't have to "move up" in five years. Our other concern was that we're both 67, and think this is the "right size" for us for the next 10-15 years. We'll have to keep y'all posted on this. We've only had it out a couple times, but we're confident we can soon be comfortable in managing such a big boat.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-25-2015

CRUISING WORLD latest issue - September 2015 Page 64
"Be a Smart Sailboat Buyer"
Covers the basic decision model fairly well.

post #14 of 17 Old 08-25-2015

pick a broker and go looking. It will be an eye opener. 40 to 50 foot is a really big range. very big difference between 40 and 50 foot. a 40 foot boat for 100k maybe but 50 foot no way unless you want to spend another 100k fixing it up. learning to handle this size boat can be done but you will want to have someone with a lot of experience to be with you as you learn. upkeep, mooring, haulouts, bottom paint and all the other stuff you did not plan on after you buy it and everything is working on a 30 foot about 15k per year. 40 foot boat 50k per year. 50 foot boat 75k per year. new set of sails for a 30 foot $7k for a 40 foot $ 20k, 50 foot boat $40k. and the best part, rigging replacement every ten years. 30' $6K. 40 foot $20k, 50 foot $40k
jephotog likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 08-25-2015 at 08:55 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-25-2015

What is your sailing experience? If you are very new to sailing, I don't think 40-50 feet is the best choice. In fact, I don't think it's a good choice at all, unless you are wealthy and plan to hire a captain for a few months of personal training (and I'm certainly not begrudging you if that is your plan). How did you come up with that size? I've sailed boats up to 41 feet, and I currently own a 27 footer. I'm a relative novice but not totally green. If I was looking for a boat for my wife and me to live on AND sail by ourselves, I would be looking in the mid-30's.

If shopping for your first boat--or even if it's not your first, for that matter--I don't think anything can beat walking around the marinas and boat yards looking at boats. You'll get a feel pretty quick for what you like.

Also, I do not agree with your assessment of the resale potential for smaller boats. The market is pretty stable right now; lots to choose from, and no reason you can't sell for close to purchase price if you decide to move up (but do not expect to recoup any more than a fraction of the cost of upgrades).

Welcome to Sailnet; good luck in your search.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-25-2015
HANUMAN

Why do you feel you need a buyer's broker? Yes, there are certain things they can tell you about "sold" prices on Yachtworld, but that is not critical. If you are financing, you will only get what the bank feels the boat is worth.

Other than that, they won't do anything for you that you can't do yourself. In fact, if the listing broker has any wiggle room in his commission, that will go away when he has to split the earnings with your broker.

Before smart phones and the internet, maybe a buyer's broker would be a help. Not today.

Now, there will be some who will come up with some other opinions but in reality, you are better off with a good lawyer.

One thing buyer's brokers, be it real estate or boats, are good at is convincing you that they are there to protect you, advocate for you and ensure you get the best possible deal. Reality is a bit of a stretch from that point.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #17 of 17 Old 08-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
pick a broker and go looking. It will be an eye opener. 40 to 50 foot is a really big range. very big difference between 40 and 50 foot. a 40 foot boat for 100k maybe but 50 foot no way unless you want to spend another 100k fixing it up. learning to handle this size boat can be done but you will want to have someone with a lot of experience to be with you as you learn. upkeep, mooring, haulouts, bottom paint and all the other stuff you did not plan on after you buy it and everything is working on a 30 foot about 15k per year. 40 foot boat 50k per year. 50 foot boat 75k per year. new set of sails for a 30 foot $7k for a 40 foot $ 20k, 50 foot boat $40k. and the best part, rigging replacement every ten years. 30' $6K. 40 foot $20k, 50 foot $40k
Those are sobering numbers. Cures my 30 foot-itis real quick.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in