39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 108 Old 09-29-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Your Onboard Coffee Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
+1 on Aeropress. Starbucks Via is also pretty decent -- it's just microground coffee that you use like instant and is packaged in individual servings.
Spoken like a true P30 sailor. I'm also a Via user.

I appreciate quality coffee, but I'm only willing to go so far on the boat.
I haven't done the Aeropress yet, but I'm willing to give it a go. Anything more complicated than that will have to wait until I'm ashore.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 Old 09-29-2015
Beyond The Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Drip filter cone.

... First sip in the morning sitting in the cockpit as the anchorage comes to life, priceless!
That is rather the point, isn't it? Watching the Sun rise...

Except for those of us who spent much of our Lives on an Owlshift.
We have our last Cuppa, thick with milk and sugar, as the Sun rises, and just before we go to sleep.

And then we get up around Eleven or so, to Pee.

¬erindipity
MedSailor and mbianka like this.
post #33 of 108 Old 09-29-2015

One word . . . AEROPRESS.

I mean it. We tried a bunch of things, but absolutely love our Aeropress. I suggest using the paper filters. You get hundreds in a packet

Coffee tastes great - easy cleanup.

Aeropress rocks!

~markb

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27

post #34 of 108 Old 09-29-2015

Did french press for a number of years. But, the sunrise won't wait and I got tired of waiting for my morning coffee. Discovered an instant espresso coffee that tastes great:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: DOING THE JAVA JIVE ON BOARD BIANKA
Boil water and your done. Can also add to cold milk and have an iced coffee for an afternoon pick me up. No grounds to deal with: Bonus!

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 108 Old 09-29-2015
Rainwatcher

Very few of you would be allowed to drink coffee here.
post #36 of 108 Old 09-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Very few of you would be allowed to drink coffee here.
I have been a Starbucks, Tulley's and other coffee drinker in Seattle since 1988... favorite was going to the original on Pike's Market... The truth is we still visit Starbucks here but the coffee we make on the boat beats anything you can buy in cafe's anywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0797.jpg   IMGP0812.jpg  
post #37 of 108 Old 09-29-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Ah me .... the meaning of life would be so much easier to resolve.

Problem is we all have different tastes in coffee. You will never convince me that the appalling muck you get out of one of those drip thingys is drinkable nor the pathetically weak sludge that emerges from an old fashioned percolator. Those who like the preceding will otoh find Italian espresso strength totally unappealing.

By choice for me there is only one method and that is a proper espresso machine with beans freshly ground to exactly the level of fineness to produce a perfect result. To be honest I have never achieved that at home with our better than basic home machine, albeit not commercial quality. So we buy preground coffee (specific brand and quality, vacuum packed) because we get a preferred result when compared to grinding our own beans.

Unfortunately espresso machines chew up a lot of juice and unless you have mains voltage available they are simply impractical on board. (Sod using inverter, nor am I going to crank up a generator simply to make a cup of coffee.)

However, those Bialetti type machines produce an acceptable result. Much better than drip or perc and for mine better than plunger. Ours on board is stainless not aluminium.

As for milk. I use full cream or nothing. The day has not dawned when you can force me to drink anything with Carnation in it, same goes goes for powdered.

btw .. Donna mentioned tea .... doesn't seem to have the same interest level as coffee yet we, as a species, drink an awful lot of the stuff. Interestingly enough most of that is made from tea bags. Unbelievable.

Andrew B (Malö 39 Classic)

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett.

Last edited by tdw; 09-29-2015 at 11:06 PM.
post #38 of 108 Old 09-29-2015

Agree with fuzzy above- it all boils down to what you like and what's available to you in terms of technology. I've been a home roaster since the mid-80's, so I tend to be a bit picky, but the brew method is always the same- press-pot. I enjoy espresso, but my machine would be way too power hungry (not to mention heavy) for use on a sailboat, so I've always stuck to French press. I use a modified Hario-Skerton hand grinder and bring plenty of beans to last the trip.
post #39 of 108 Old 09-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
for use on a sailboat, so I've always stuck to French press. I use a modified Hario-Skerton hand grinder and bring plenty of beans to last the trip.
I like french press, and use it at home on occasion. It would be nice on the boat, but cleaning it is just too much of a hassle for me. I am inherently lazy.

BTW, the quote about coffee tastng better on the boat was post #16.

Dave
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

47⁰20'11.7" N
122⁰35'20.8" W
M/V Kinship, North Pacific 43
Formerly
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
post #40 of 108 Old 09-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I like french press, and use it at home on occasion. It would be nice on the boat, but cleaning it is just too much of a hassle for me. I am inherently lazy.

BTW, the quote about coffee tastng better on the boat was post #16.
Pretty simple, really - I bought several plastic press-pots for a buddie's boat (anywhere from 6-14 crew) and just dumped grinds into a paper towel, threw them out a port window (we were racing in the Caribbean), did a quick wash with salt water, rinse with a splash of fresh, dried the pot and by the time I had ground one pot load of beans, the water kettle was whistling. My own boat rarely has more than 2 or 4 crew doing any kind of distance sailing where you're going to want coffee, so it's even easier.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in