39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 108 Old 09-30-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Re: Your Onboard Coffee Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I'm kind of a coffee slut; I will drink anything.

At home in the morning I grind beans and use a French press.

At work I drink gawdawful drip Folgers all day, out of a mug that hasn't been washed since the GW Bush administration.

On the boat I have percolator. The coffee on the boat tastes the best. I don't think it has anything to do with the pot.
Have you tried drinking your coffee without the marihuana ? Maybe it is the pot ?
bigdogandy and Minnesail like this.

Andrew B (Mal÷ 39 Classic)

ôLife is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.ö
― Terry Pratchett.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdw For This Useful Post:
miatapaul (09-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 108 Old 10-01-2015

Coffee slut. That's funny.

No denying I'm a coffee addict and will drink anything I have to. Emphasize, if I have to.

Just a couple of seasons back, I began to get a severe headache on passage at about 10am. We were in fog, with visibility of a couple hundred yards at best and crossing the Buzzards Bay shipping channel on our way to the Vineyard. While these would be all hands on deck conditions, by 11am I was curled up in the corner of the cockpit, trying to sleep to avoid the stabbing pain in my head, with my wife alone at the helm.

Later that day, I'm reaching in the cabinet for more Advil, which hasn't been working anyway, and I finally notice the bag of coffee in there is decaf. The regular was empty (although more in the pantry). I asked if that was what she used to make coffee that morning and she said yes, without realizing it was decaf.

Addict is admittedly not a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #63 of 108 Old 10-01-2015

Just checked out the Aeropress web page and watched a few videos.
Too fiddly and too many parts for me on a boat, also too narrow, how does it stay upright underway?
I can see the whole shooting match flying across the table if you slip or something trying to press your coffee into the cup.
Price is right though! Cheaper than my stainless french press was.
My press has a wide enough base that I can just brew with the press sitting in the sink, heel, waves whatever, makes no difference.
I had to check out the Aeropress, everybody is raving about it and if I can make a better cup of coffee.....
I love the idea, I can see how it would brew a good cup, could see one at home but not for me on a boat.
I should make a few tweaks to make it a bit more marine friendly then patent the changes.....maybe just add a clock :-)
I do like the looks of the manual coffee grinder though!

post #64 of 108 Old 10-03-2015

Cowboy coffee, just pour coffee in pan & heat it up & pour in cup. Ewee.. (Usually start generator & plug in coffee maker or grind beans & make coffee). Some campers taught me "Cowboy" coffee.
post #65 of 108 Old 10-03-2015

Music to make coffee by:
https://youtu.be/KT4h2a5LMec

I also have a CD called "Sunday Morning Coffee" kind of new age instrumentals I sometimes put on in the background when I don't want to have anything that is too interruptive while I work on projects on board. With or without a cup of coffee. Seems to provide a little jolt of energy without the caffeine.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 108 Old 10-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
Cowboy coffee, just pour coffee in pan & heat it up & pour in cup. Ewee..
I have done this when backpacking, but with cheaper, already ground coffee. And I have considered it on the boat, then just swish the cup around overboard and let the fishies nibble at the bits. No other parts to clean. Guess I should try it since I am not adverse to it, see how it goes with my more expensive, fresh-ground beans.

~Chris

All sailors are cruisers, but not all cruisers are sailors. A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Also try:

(it's new!)
post #67 of 108 Old 10-03-2015

Through all of my adventures hiking, camping and dual-sporting I have become addicted to Medaglia d'oro Instant Espresso. Takes 5 minutes to prepare using my little beer can stove and Trangia kettle. It also takes up a very small amount of room so storage is easy. But I'm used to fitting my life in to a single backpack. Boats are huge.
post #68 of 108 Old 10-03-2015

Nescafe
post #69 of 108 Old 10-03-2015
Rainwatcher

All you guys talking about instant coffee, camp coffee, perc coffee, nescafe and swiss miss should start your own thread.

This thread is about coffee, and you're not really one of us.
post #70 of 108 Old 10-03-2015

Oh look. It's Mr. Holier-Than-Thou.

It all comes from a bean. It's all coffee.

The OP asked how everyone did their coffee. I answered.

If you want to bash on instant versus percolator then you should created a new thread talking about the different processes to brew a cup.

Edit: from Seattle. I guess it makes sense.
mbianka likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in