Dry docking a 29' boat (impossible dream?) - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 01-13-2016
Boat Bum

Re: Dry docking a 29' boat (impossible dream?)

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-13-2016

Like Faster shows there are hyrdraulic trailers that can transport your boat. You will need the mast down to do it. Do you have a family member with land for free storage? Don't feel you need to be at a marina.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-14-2016
Old as Dirt!

Another alternative is the possibility of finding someone that would be interested in using the boat for a year or so in exchange for paying the costs of slip fees, maintenance and insurance. I suspect more than a few people might be interested in such an arrangement. (Try an advertisement in Latitude 38 for example.) The Ericson 29 really is a very good boat and the approach would allow you to keep it but avoid the costs of long term storage. Moreover, boats left to their own devices, even in dry storage, seem to fair badly.

FWIW...
Faster and rnixon like this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

post #14 of 16 Old 01-15-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information about masts! I had no idea it worked that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Another alternative is the possibility of finding someone that would be interested in using the boat for a year or so in exchange for paying the costs of slip fees, maintenance and insurance. I suspect more than a few people might be interested in such an arrangement. (Try an advertisement in Latitude 38 for example.) The Ericson 29 really is a very good boat and the approach would allow you to keep it but avoid the costs of long term storage. Moreover, boats left to their own devices, even in dry storage, seem to fair badly.

FWIW...

I had thought about this a bit but I guess I never considered it seriously until now. I just have to make sure the anchorage won't be closing down anytime soon, requiring the boat's owner to be around to find it a new slip. (I've had bad luck with anchorages closing down... haha)

So I guess I have... two? Three craigslist ads to put out? One for the option of storing the boat... one for leasing it... and one for selling it. May also try Latitude 38. Hopefully, at least one of the options will pan out. I can probably bear selling it for the price it's worth to me (which is probably more than it's actually worth, but maybe someone will bite).

1976 Ericson 29
post #15 of 16 Old 01-17-2016

If you're any good at craigslist you can find a trailer, sooner or later ... Sometimes it's just a waiting game.. check often, at least daily, you'll find one for $600 if you're any good

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
post #16 of 16 Old 01-18-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremys73 View Post
If you're any good at craigslist you can find a trailer, sooner or later ... Sometimes it's just a waiting game.. check often, at least daily, you'll find one for $600 if you're any good

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice! Maybe someday I could find one... in the meantime, I decided to put up the boat for sale or lease (preferably lease):

'76 Ericon 29 (OWN OR LEASE)

So far I think I have a few good candidates for the lease, so I'm hoping this will work out. I get a much better gut feeling from this than the dry-storage route. It feels selfish to go so far out of my way and pay so much to sequester off my boat where no one can use it (and where it will slowly degrade). Assuming I can bring myself to trust someone else with my boat, it's drastically cheaper and I'm allowing the boat to brighten someone else's life, someone who will hopefully actually give it some love and maintain it.

1976 Ericson 29

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in