How big was your pile of cash when you left the dock? - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 92 Old 02-14-2016

Re: How big was your pile of cash when you left the dock?

I didn't have a single penny to my name, or a credit card or a wing and a prayer. I've been out 2.5 years and having the time of my life. I work about three months a year and I'm cruising locally in the Sailish Sea so finding work and cheap moorage is a easy when I need it. Someday soon I hope to head south but sailing thousand of miles locally has taught me everything I have needed to know about budget voyaging while having the parachute of running home if I need to. I doubt there is any place in the world more beautiful than the gunk holes I have found in BC
I should add that I have had several crew members join me along the way that have helped with expenses but that was long after I left
TomMaine and scubadoo like this.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 02-14-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

After years of liveaboard cruising I have seen the different extremes of how people finance their lifestyles. Some live on virtually nothing, maybe a $1,000 social security check, while others are wealthy and do what they want, when they want. In the end they all go to the same gatherings and parties, they all have toilets that clog and hatches that leak, and they all sail and work on their boats, and are having fun doing it. The first type are much more likely to eat on the boat and look around for happy hour specials, out of necessity, and the wealthier ones stimulate the local economy more with more restaurants and more "supportive" shopping styles. They are also more likely to use marinas or rent mooring balls for convenience, whereas the penny-pincher will sail a lot further to find a good anchorage where he/she can live on the hook.

No one wants to cruise and return destitute, but if you want to sail and cruise, you can do it a lot of different ways and on a lot of different budgets.
TomMaine and outbound like this.

"Tell 'em I'm busy. I'm on a sails call."
post #73 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I didn't have a single penny to my name, or a credit card or a wing and a prayer. I've been out 2.5 years and having the time of my life. I work about three months a year and I'm cruising locally in the Sailish Sea so finding work and cheap moorage is a easy when I need it. Someday soon I hope to head south but sailing thousand of miles locally has taught me everything I have needed to know about budget voyaging while having the parachute of running home if I need to. I doubt there is any place in the world more beautiful than the gunk holes I have found in BC
I should add that I have had several crew members join me along the way that have helped with expenses but that was long after I left
That's different, you don't generally see sheet track mounted to hand holds. How has it worked out for you?
SaltyMonkey likes this.

post #74 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

Exclamation Re: How big was your pile of cash when you left the dock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post

No one wants to cruise and return destitute, but if you want to sail and cruise, you can do it a lot of different ways and on a lot of different budgets.
Except you're wrong. The root of the thread IS returning and how people do it WITHOUT becoming destitute. money ON the dock. You address only the CRUISING part, not returning at 80.

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime."
Honore de Balzac
French realist novelist (1799 - 1850)
post #75 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

Salty addresses many folks concerns. Yesterday had to walk away from a downsizing package for just this reason. Starting from scratch again. Real possibility everything goes in storage. Just get on the boat and leave. Have agents out looking while we're cruising but the God will provide attitude is not one I can easily embrace. Will be coastal until November pray this sorts out before then.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #76 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The root of the thread IS returning and how people do it WITHOUT becoming destitute. money ON the dock. You address only the CRUISING part, not returning at 80.
Here's a fresh cruising scenario. This couple (age: low to mid 40's), no kids, quit their jobs in the UK to take off on their( paid for) 34' stout cruiser. They had some $ stashed away for emergencies.

They both owned homes when they met, and after marrying, they lived in one and kept the other as a rental investment.

To cruise: They vacated and rented their own home and put each residence in a typical property management service in the UK.

They were gone for nearly 4 years, sailed over 30,000 NM between the USA, Canada, the UK and the Caribbean and South America.

They were on a tight budget (we got to know them quite well). No dockage, very rarely a mooring, very few restaurants, etc. But they ate and lived well, kept a boat plowing mile after mile. That is a hefty expense compared to just living on a boat.

For the most part, they lived and cruised on their income from those 2 properties.

Upon re-entry to the UK(this past year), they moved back into one of their houses. With their income now slashed, they both found jobs in the fields they left(quite a feat - they must be good at what they do).

They are one good model(no one size fits all). Real sailors, they wanted to cover ocean miles and spent little time in any one place. They wore out a suit of sails(a hefty expense) and had a couple costly repairs but still stayed on about a 25-30k / yr, budget, for nearly 4 years.

Their re-entry was smart. They didn't lose financial ground by cruising this way at this point in their lives, and their adventure was beyond priceless. They've put the boat on the market and I'm quite sure their plan is to work for a few years - buy a larger boat - and do it again.

They liked Maine so much, they sailed twice to our area from Caribbean winters. We did some coastal sailing in company and got to show off our coast.

Here we are in Frenchboro(Brits on the left), having a lobster dinner,...that was on us.

copacabana, SaltyMonkey and mr_f like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #77 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

Good question, it works great, on a small boat or any really keeping decks clear is important. I should mention on a few occasions where the wind was topping 40 I watched them intently so see what would happen. They did great. The designer called for snatch blocks fastened with strap to the rails si I figure this spreads the load. I'm a fair weather sailor and hope to never test the limits..
post #78 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

Tom you make several good points people often don't consider.
Actively cruising is several orders of magnitude of higher expense than liveaboard in stationary or home waters. The boat is used so repair and maintenance goes way up. You often can't shop for the best deal nor even know the setting well enough to buy food staples at best place. Your horizon is often how far you can walk and carry stuff.
Given you're commonly in places you will never see again you want to make use of the opportunity. This means cab rides to attractions and fees.
Regardless of how well you plan it's likely you will need to come home time to time. This means airplanes and expense to keep boat safe it your absence.
Friends with couple. She's a podiatrist. He sells boats. They bought a CF large cat with another couple. They can do the Windwards to R.I. snowbird thing. Boats sell spring and fall. He needs to be home during local sailing season. She very talented so no trouble finding work for 1/2 a year. They are great people so sharing a boat low stress. Wish them the best but this is not the situation for us dust farting boomers.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #79 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

There are all kinds of budgets out there, we'll have more then some but less then others. We get to retire early so feel fortunate. If the money runs out or we don't like full time cruising we'll do something else.
post #80 of 92 Old 02-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Here we are in Frenchboro(Brits on the left), having a lobster dinner,...that was on us.

I've sat at that table!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in