Cruising the med from USA - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 02-27-2016

Re: Cruising the med from USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5499 View Post
We bought our boat in Conn and moved it to Fla where we were residence....
Got it now. Full on tax due to FL, because you brought the boat there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 02-28-2016
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Got it now. Full on tax due to FL, because you brought the boat there.

Nope we bought and paid for the boat in Conn but did not pay sales tax in Conn. We moved the boat to Fla and paid the tax there and got our little widow stickers until we headed out --

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #23 of 27 Old 02-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck5499 View Post
Nope we bought and paid for the boat in Conn but did not pay sales tax in Conn. We moved the boat to Fla and paid the tax there and got our little widow stickers until we headed out --
I wrote brought, not bought. I think we're on the same page now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 27 Old 02-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denek View Post
Dear all.
I have a few questions on the above. My wife and I are living in America currently and will be here for a further 2 years. I have noticed that boats here are significantly cheaper than in the uk or Europe.
My main question is with regards to registration in the uk or Europe and if it is a requirement to do so.
Our intention would probably be to bypass the UK and go straight to the med so can we not just leave the boat registered in the US.
If we do not import the boat then would that not mean that we do not pay vat and would not have to worry about CE registration?
I know we would probably have an issue down the line when eel come to sell but apart from that I don't see a down side.
The other issue is with the ICC. Is this a requirement if you have your own craft or just FO charter.
We owned a boat in the uk which we sold before coming to America and have a reasonable amount of sailing under our belts but only land based formal qualifications.
There does not seem to be an equivalent course here in the US that would automatically give you an ICC. I may be wrong but I have not seen any. So in a nutshell we would like to purchase a boat here in the US and sail it to the med to cruise for a few years.
Any advice would be grately apriciated.

BTW I would not try the Atlantic crossing myself but would get a skipper to help me. I don't have enough experience to go it alone.
Pretty good pod'caster out there with good info on this who lives in Salt Lake City, leaves his boat in the Med mostly in Turkey I believe. He did exactly what you are proposing (sailed his boat across) and has avoided VAT. You might check him out at Sailing in the Mediterranean and I've no vested interest just a listener to his podcast.

- Cpt. Bob

s/v Sea Turtle - Seaward 25
post #25 of 27 Old 02-29-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for all his info guys. Really useful.
We are on vacation currently on Saint Martin in the Caribbean.
I am so tempted now to change our plans and once we finish work in two years come down here and spend at least one season here before we head to the med.
we had been to the Caribbean several times before but I had forgotten how beautiful it was and the constant steady breeze just makes you want to get out on a boat.
Going to a have a look at some boats whilst we are here.
post #26 of 27 Old 03-04-2016

There's an nearly new outbound for sale down there for short money given what's in the boat. Did one SDR and then lightly sailed. Know the owner well. Killed multiple bottles of scotch with him. Boat is Bristol fashion. Worth a look.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #27 of 27 Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter

Sadly out of time now. We leave on Sunday morning.
Do you have a location and a rough price?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in