Is it really a dream come true? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Re: Is it really a dream come true?

Living the dream of sailing away (or any other life style dream) is not free. It must be funded somehow. And there comes the day, for most, where age and health issues will require moving back ashore, and at this point, most are too old or too sick to get a job or start a career that will provide the funds needed in old age. Ignore the issue of finances or underestimate the amount needed, not just now, but also for later years, and people could find themselves in a hard existence for the last quarter to half of their life.
mbianka and DounUnder like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 71 Old 03-27-2016 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Delezynski;3411697]

During our cruising we met many people who you will not see posting here. They are boat prisoners. They sold out and cast off with no bail out plan!!! I felt sorry for them. We talked to a number of them and they were very tired of boat living, but had no way to re-establish a shore side place! Some had kids with no health insurance. One kid in his teens was sick and needed a doctor, what to do???

If you have a house, DO NOT SELL IT, rent it out. Have a bailout plan!!!!

Just my views!!!
Greg

Thank you for your advice Greg. I did felt that some point of view was missing here all along, and as one of the bloger mentioned already , I'll not see here a reply from those who are not enjoy it anymore. I do have a property and I can't see the logic of selling it when it can generate me a steady income, although small, but better than nothing, and as well, as a safe place to land back if/when the s**t hit the fan.

Thanks from down under.

Last edited by DounUnder; 03-28-2016 at 09:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DounUnder For This Useful Post:
Delezynski (03-27-2016), Yorksailor (03-27-2016)
post #43 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

[quote=DounUnder;3411785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post

Thank you for your advice Greg. I did felt that some point of view was missing here all along,

Thanks from down under.
Glad it added to the info. We love it and most do, but I always like to bring up the other side. Of about 7 or 8 couples who departed the same time we did, 3 were done at about the 1 year or less mark. at this point, I know that 2 are now living aboard in Mexico, not sailing at all. We are the last couple still going places on our boat.

I have seen a lot of people do the sell out & cast off thing. MANY of them did not make the first year! I think it was partly due to trying to schedule that departure! And lack of cruising experience. Selling out is easy if you are not financing the cruising with the money for it. So, head out and if it fits, then sell out. OR, BETTER YET, as you confirmed, rent and keep a bit of funding coming in. That way you have something to come back to and funding to keep going, BOTH!

If you start off easy, sailing in nice weather and building on experience slowly, it will work out fine. You are building confidence in your boat AND yourself. I have heard others cruisers say about a crossing of some type, "If that had been my first crossing, it would have been my last!" We had a full knock down half way down the Baja about 50 miles off shore. A rouge wave hit us directly on the beam. The top of the wave actually was over the boom. We were both in the cockpit, clipped in, so all was OK. BUT, if that had happened during the first off shore trip, it would most likely have been our last!

Good luck and make it a great experience!!

Greg
mbianka and DounUnder like this.

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube Virtual Reality page -

post #44 of 71 Old 03-27-2016
bell ringer

I still don't understand the need to hold on to "stuff" in case of needing to come back to the "stuff". You can always get more "stuff" so there is no need to be taking care of "stuff" you aren't currently using.

I bet holding onto the "stuff" is really more a mental security blanket.

But I also bet for most people it is the "stuff" that is holding them back back start with.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #45 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I still don't understand the need to hold on to "stuff" in case of needing to come back to the "stuff". You can always get more "stuff" so there is no need to be taking care of "stuff" you aren't currently using.

But I also bet for most people it is the "stuff" that is holding them back back start with.
Stuff is just stuff, it has come and gone many time in my life. Even the boat is just stuff. I want to use my stuff to make memory's, for myself, for my family, for my friends. If stuff gets in the way of that, I get rid of the stuff. When I leave this place, I don't get to take my stuff, so I'll leave it to my kids, no cash, just cool stuff. It's only the memory's that I leave behind that have any real value anyway.
post #46 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
If you have a house, DO NOT SELL IT, rent it out. Have a bailout plan!!!!
This is the most important statement in the thread. We are now in our mid-60's and have been cruising for 9 years. We know several couples, where one partner has developed serious medical problems including Alzheimers, who had everything tied up in a depreciated boat.

While cruising is a great lifestyle I do not believe it is worth spending the last 10 years of your life in poverty!

Phil
Delezynski and DounUnder like this.
post #47 of 71 Old 03-27-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
This is the most important statement in the thread. We are now in our mid-60's and have been cruising for 9 years. We know several couples, where one partner has developed serious medical problems including Alzheimers, who had everything tied up in a depreciated boat.

While cruising is a great lifestyle I do not believe it is worth spending the last 10 years of your life in poverty!
Phil
This whole line of thought confuses me. Why is a dirt dwelling so important? Couldn't any couple or individual 'return' and live on their boat in a nice marina? It would even allow a few days of sailing with friends or a bit of snow birding if the weather wasn't up to par. Never mind the ability to pack up and move to a better or more convenient location without ever packing a box or bag. Why does one have to own a house?
To the best of my knowledge, taxes on a boat as a primary residence are far and away less than any dirt dwelling. Certainly utilities would be a lot less on a boat.
I haven't met too many folks cruising who can say they are actually realizing a useful income from renting their home. Covering expenses, yes, but if one needs a management company to insure that the home will remain in good condition, then not so much.
Most of us wouldn't want to pay the rent on a place, let's just say in Charleston SC's waterfront district, yet you could probably live in the City Marina there for under a grand a month on most cruising boats. Don't like marinas? I've always been able to find a very reasonable liveaboard dock behind someone's house, after a few months in an area.
So, especially if the returning couple's finances are a bit restrictive, what's the big deal about having a place on land? Stay in the home you've known and loved for those wonderful years of cruising. Let the kids worry about it's market value when they sell it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #48 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post

So, you would throw away those photos of your first child? Or, for me, my 1946 Harley Davidson Knucklehead? Or items your grand parents left you?

When we departed we rented out our house. It now is a money generating item. We packed our "stuff" into a mobile storage unit that was taken off and stored in a climate controlled place, then delivered to a place we moved to when we had our family emergency. AND oh by the way, emergency's do come up back home. What then?

Greg

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

Youtube Virtual Reality page -
post #49 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
So, you would throw away those photos of your first child? Or, for me, my 1946 Harley Davidson Knucklehead? Or items your grand parents left you?

When we departed we rented out our house. It now is a money generating item. We packed our "stuff" into a mobile storage unit that was taken off and stored in a climate controlled place, then delivered to a place we moved to when we had our family emergency. AND oh by the way, emergency's do come up back home. What then?

Greg
A 1946 knucklehead? Thats a dream bike, very cool. Any pics you could share? I'd love to see her!
Here's one of my dad on his 1946 45" Flathead. Thought you might enjoy. I ride a 2007 FLHX myself.
Attached Thumbnails
VZM.IMG952016022795112105 - Copy.jpg  
twoshoes and DounUnder like this.
post #50 of 71 Old 03-27-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
So, you would throw away those photos of your first child?
And just WHY would I need a house to keep those? I have kids etc that can store a box or two of "stuff". After all in a few years it will be theirs.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in