Is it really a dream come true? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Re: Is it really a dream come true?

I think this topic is like many here. It comes down to "each to their own" . If you plan for the future you wish to have, all is possible. If you don't than you get whatever life hands you, usually not good.
I'm at a point that I want to shave down, lighten up on unnecessary stuff, simplify my life. A good boat, my H.D. parked in my daughters garage, a beater truck to leave at the marina (it's going to rust out anyway lol). I'm finding it very freeing. But I also have a back up plan and set aside financing to do it, if I find it necessary.
Delezynski and mbianka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

"So, you would throw away those photos of your first child? Or, for me, my 1946 Harley Davidson Knucklehead? Or items your grand parents left you?

When we departed we rented out our house. It now is a money generating item. We packed our "stuff" into a mobile storage unit that was taken off and stored in a climate controlled place, then delivered to a place we moved to when we had our family emergency. AND oh by the way, emergency's do come up back home. What then?

Greg"

Don't fool yourself, I've spent two years throwing away a lifetimes worth of "treasures" my mom should have done something with if she didn't want to end up as landfill.
Keeping the house only makes sense if you have every intention of returning to the same place, Personally I will make more off dividends investing my house money that I would ever be able to get as rental income once that money is taxed and I lose potential capitol gains if I decide to sell the house without living in it for over a year.
If things go even sort of close to plan I will actually come back with more money than I left with!
post #53 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
And just WHY would I need a house to keep those? I have kids etc that can store a box or two of "stuff". After all in a few years it will be theirs.
Seen that MANY times from cruisers, in MOST of the cases it did NOT work out and was just a major problem and a lot of arguments among the family.

As I said, I stored our stuff in a mobile container and stored. The house, In California, started making a small amount of money (NET after the agency) right away! And now it adds quite a bit to the kitty.

Selling out all, OR waiting to go till you are absolutely ready are BOTH poor planning!

Greg
uncle stinky bob likes this.

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube Virtual Reality page -

post #54 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinky bob View Post
A 1946 knucklehead? Thats a dream bike, very cool. Any pics you could share? I'd love to see her!
Here's one of my dad on his 1946 45" Flathead. Thought you might enjoy. I ride a 2007 FLHX myself.

TO COOL photo!

I don't have a current photo as it's covered up and still preserved in safe storage from when we headed out cruising. This is a shot going into the box for storage, covered in preservative. Plans are to take it back to original shape (not original parts). I am after all a "geezer". Plan to ride it, dressed in old time gear, with my son. I have a 1967 Sportster XLH for him to ride. Just have to put that one back together for him.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
HD.JPG  

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

post #55 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this! My wife and are just in the beginning stages of the "dream"

We are still a long way out from any type of "departure date", heck we are still looking for boat #1 ( a trailerable sailboat). After reading along in this thread and also in several books I think the key is having options. Being stuck in anything stinks, whether its on land or on a boat. For me, being able to make choices is huge. And to be able to make choices means being prepared. Finances are a huge part of that....

On the other hand, I watched my dad prepare his whole life. Worked his ass off and saved. When he retired, he had plenty of fund, more than he will ever spend. Then his health started to go. He never did get to launch his dream. He ended up switching from a sailboat to an RV so all wasn't lost and he still got to get out and enjoy his retirement.

RJ
post #56 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordkhntr View Post
I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this! My wife and are just in the beginning stages of the "dream"

We are still a long way out from any type of "departure date", heck we are still looking for boat #1 ( a trailerable sailboat). After reading along in this thread and also in several books I think the key is having options. Being stuck in anything stinks, whether its on land or on a boat. For me, being able to make choices is huge. And to be able to make choices means being prepared. Finances are a huge part of that....

On the other hand, I watched my dad prepare his whole life. Worked his ass off and saved. When he retired, he had plenty of fund, more than he will ever spend. Then his health started to go. He never did get to launch his dream. He ended up switching from a sailboat to an RV so all wasn't lost and he still got to get out and enjoy his retirement.

RJ
GOOD ON YA!!!! You are approaching it the correct way (my point of view)!
When we were looking for a boat we were working and a ways away from, and a long time from casting off. We thought over the idea of a larger (40 +/-) boat, but were inland at the time. We were worried about getting it to the sea if I was laid off. We thought about a small trailer sailor. but if we got laid off we would not be able to finance a larger boat without a job.

We settled on a trailer-able boat that could also circumnavigate. Worked GREAT for us. So far we have sailed lakes, the west coast Seattle, then from the San Francisco Bay area down through the Sea of Cortes and mainland Mexico. We have trailed back to the Bay area, then to New Orleans (and returned to the Phoenix area a few times) and sailed the West coast of Florida. Getting ready to head out to the Bahamas soon.

A side note, we have had 4 serious offers to trade straight across for boats from 36 to 41 Ft. STILL love our boat. You can see some of our adventures on our WEB pages and Youtube pages. And 5 DVD that are for sale.

DO IT with a plan!!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
09-Sep.jpg  

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

post #57 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
TO COOL photo!

I don't have a current photo as it's covered up and still preserved in safe storage from when we headed out cruising. This is a shot going into the box for storage, covered in preservative. Plans are to take it back to original shape (not original parts). I am after all a "geezer". Plan to ride it, dressed in old time gear, with my son. I have a 1967 Sportster XLH for him to ride. Just have to put that one back together for him.

Greg
AMAZING BIKE!!!! original hard tail with molded in sidecar loops intact I would say. She look's like she rolled right out of 1960's SoCal chopper shop. You have a very unique bike there. I'm rather envious, lol. and a 67 ironhead? very cool. I really like the plans you have with your son, just awesome! Thank you for sharing your pic! If you don't mind I'd like to save to my bike pic file?
post #58 of 71 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinky bob View Post
AMAZING BIKE!!!! original hard tail with molded in sidecar loops intact I would say. She look's like she rolled right out of 1960's SoCal chopper shop. You have a very unique bike there. I'm rather envious, lol. and a 67 ironhead? very cool. I really like the plans you have with your son, just awesome! Thank you for sharing your pic! If you don't mind I'd like to save to my bike pic file?
No problem saving it.
Yes, did not mod the frame at all. Plan to knock off th molding and maybe even get a sidecar some time.

Greg

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

post #59 of 71 Old 03-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DounUnder View Post
Like many of you , since I have been young I had a dream to sail the seven seas chase the sun and the wind, but I wonder, after YOU took the big steps,with some of you quitting jobs, maybe even selling your home , does sailing day after day , month after month, year after year is REALLY a dream come true? or ,if asking it a bit different: is it STILL a dream come true after the honeymoon period ended, ? in hindsight, is it as you imagined it to be? do you have any regrets ? would you have done anything differently?
Thanks for your honest reply from far away, Down Under.

My hubby and I are in our 8th year living aboard full time after selling all out... I turned 40 our first year cruising. No poor planning involved, just the opposite. Worked out finances to be covered for catastrophic events and the long haul. It's all about choices and is obviously a personal thing.

Simplifying was a very liberating process and just like being debt-free, not having any storage or property freed us up to be self-sufficient. Cruising as daily life includes sailing, travel, occasional thrills, hard work, social times, quiet times. There is no right or wrong way to do it as there is no right or wrong way to live.

After the first WOW year, the second year was the hardest in terms of making the full transition and getting comfortable with your evolving personal identity. Perhaps a retirement issue in general but it happens.

We now have more connection with family and friends then we did when working (no kids). The internet helps tremendously, but we also found that yearly visits are a good few weeks' "vacation" for us, quality time with family and a complete change of scenery from the boat is good to re-charge. We also started to explore extended land travel for several weeks in the countries we visit as another way of broadening our experiences away from the sea.

When we sail to areas that we enjoy, we like stay for extended time (~months to years) to fully enjoy them. So far there are two such places for us ~ our ideal place includes lots of underwater life, daily water time, seclusion and self-sufficiency, no stores, cars, shoes... etc That said, we also enjoy visiting cities and have been charmed to visit these ports even when the waters are less inviting.

This works for us and we intend to do it as long as we still enjoy it. We take our time and hope to slowly extend our cruising grounds to other oceans. It helps that we recognize what we enjoy (or not) so we can make our choices about cruising destinations, but have to try not to be too fixated on pre-conceived ideas because some places end up surprising us ~ in a good way!
ChristinaM, Delezynski and mbianka like this.
post #60 of 71 Old 03-28-2016

So very well said!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach View Post
my hubby and i are in our 8th year living aboard full time after selling all out... I turned 40 our first year cruising. No poor planning involved, just the opposite. Worked out finances to be covered for catastrophic events and the long haul. It's all about choices and is obviously a personal thing.

Simplifying was a very liberating process and just like being debt-free, not having any storage or property freed us up to be self-sufficient. Cruising as daily life includes sailing, travel, occasional thrills, hard work, social times, quiet times. There is no right or wrong way to do it as there is no right or wrong way to live.

After the first wow year, the second year was the hardest in terms of making the full transition and getting comfortable with your evolving personal identity. Perhaps a retirement issue in general but it happens.

We now have more connection with family and friends then we did when working (no kids). The internet helps tremendously, but we also found that yearly visits are a good few weeks' "vacation" for us, quality time with family and a complete change of scenery from the boat is good to re-charge. We also started to explore extended land travel for several weeks in the countries we visit as another way of broadening our experiences away from the sea.

When we sail to areas that we enjoy, we like stay for extended time (~months to years) to fully enjoy them. So far there are two such places for us ~ our ideal place includes lots of underwater life, daily water time, seclusion and self-sufficiency, no stores, cars, shoes... Etc that said, we also enjoy visiting cities and have been charmed to visit these ports even when the waters are less inviting.

This works for us and we intend to do it as long as we still enjoy it. We take our time and hope to slowly extend our cruising grounds to other oceans. It helps that we recognize what we enjoy (or not) so we can make our choices about cruising destinations, but have to try not to be too fixated on pre-conceived ideas because some places end up surprising us ~ in a good way!

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in